Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

La Spezia - Possibilities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: La Spezia - Possibilities Reply with quote

Hello All,

It's been years since I posted in the Italy forum as my hopes had been dashed for living there. However, in 2009, after 5 years of perseverence I received my Italian Citizenship (jus sanguinis) and eventually, my passport.

I am again thinking of a move to Italy, with my future wife, and have been researching cities, mostly in the North. I have a TEFL certificate (CELTA equivalent), bachelors in Geography and History, Masters in Education - PD, with licensure to teach middle school, any subject, and high school social studies, and 5 years of teaching experience. I am currently teaching and living in Barranquilla, Colombia.

I apologize for the CV here, and I also understand the state of the economy in Italy, but my future wife and I are both teachers (she also has a CELTA and linguistics degree) and I am curious of the possibilities of living and working in La Spezia. Does anyone have any specific knowledge of this town? I have been there and I know it's beautiful. I have checked rents in La Spezia and it seems that a decent one bedroom can be had for 500 Euros or less a month. My only concern is finding work to pay that sum, and others of course. Has anyone worked in La Spezia, or seen jobs advertised specifically for the schools there?

Again, I apologize for the long emai and rambling, but I just wanted to give a little of my background to help with responding.

Thank you all for your time.

G
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregorio, congrats on the upcoming move and marriage!

I hope you had a great time in Barranquilla and wish you the best of luck post-Colombia. If you do end up in Italy, I'll be located just a little to your south.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International House (IH) have a school in La Spezia. There are bound to be more as well - and especially if you go beyond La Spezia.

Congratulations on getting citizenship! When do you expect to move over?
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks y'all! I, unfortunately, will be in Barranquilla for the duration of this next school year, so won't be headed to Italy until next August or so. I like to plan way ahead... I'm a little obsessed with that. I would like to land a position at an international school, but if that doesn't happen we are just going to pick a city (La Spezia preferred) that has some promising TEFL jobs.

It's going to be long year waiting...
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find international schools a more profitable line of enquiry if you have a year in hand (and the hiring process might take a bit longer as well). I'm not that up-to-date with La Spezia, but doesn't it have a US base? That might mean that there is a need for US instructors with experience of a US curriculum... Otherwise, there are US bases dotted around the place, including Napoli (also worth a thought).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: