Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Countries to save cash?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aridion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Best Countries to save cash? Reply with quote

Which, in your opinion are the best countries to save cash in? I am thinking Saudi Arabia and some other ME countries. Anywhere else folks?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Countries to save cash? Reply with quote

aridion wrote:
Which, in your opinion are the best countries to save cash in? I am thinking Saudi Arabia and some other ME countries. Anywhere else folks?

Depends on your qualifications.

Green as grass and new to teaching then go to Korea.

Got a related masters and want to teach at the tertiary level then the ME.

Got teacher certification and ac couple years in the classroom then a decent international or bilingual school just about anywhere on the planet.

No degree, got your shiny new 30 day TEFL cert then it will be tough to find anyplace that will pay enough to cover your setup and airfare.

Got a degree, a year or two in the classroom, some street smarts and at least the wherewithal that Ghod gave to green apples then head for China.

aridion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Got teacher certification and ac couple years in the classroom then a decent international or bilingual school just about anywhere on the planet.

That's where I stand, bar the few years teaching experience. The best package I have been offered has been in the ME. However, I do have an interview for aschool in Thailand coming up soon.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic was also discussed at: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=94266
aridion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nomad Soul.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Countries to save cash? Reply with quote

aridion wrote:

The Middle East
South Korea
Japan
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China, if you have a university position. (Housing provided.)
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's where I stand, bar the few years teaching experience. The best package I have been offered has been in the ME. However, I do have an interview for aschool in Thailand coming up soon.

With teacher certification and no classroom experience, international schools in China would be your best bet. There are so many of them opening up everywhere and students pay big fees, but the often undesirable location and sheer number of them make it difficult for many to hire qualified teachers with experience. At a run of the mill school such as Utahloy you'd be making around $40 000/year with free accommodation, food, travel etc. Plus there's less temptation to spend money in China, although admittedly not as little as the ME. If you were focussed on saving, there's no reason why you couldn't pocket US$25000/year.
aridion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thank you Rayman. I am currently in the process of sending all my documents away to a school in Saudi.

I tried a few Chinese Schools, but haven't had a response yet.
rayman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, good luck. I find the biggest obstacle to saving money as a teacher in an international school is budgeting during the holiday period. With 3 months break per year, it's those times when you can easily spend up big. Manage that issue and you can save a bundle.
Christian St.Bacon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Want to save as much as possible.......... Reply with quote

try Zimbabwe....
$100 Trillion notes ($100,000,000,000,000) are easy to earn

Shukran 'no need for overtime' very much
Wink Very Happy Razz
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on salary and cost of living. I'm looking at moving from Korea to Vietnam or China. I'll be making the same. The lower cost of living means that I can save more and still afford a maid / nanny / cook
Iceman33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some countries in the Middle East

South Korea

Japan

You can sometimes live well in poorer countries like Thailand, Indonesia, China, etc., but once your money is converted into US dollars, it's nada.

I've heard some not so good things about the pay for EFL teachers in South America (in general terms). Turkey and Russian don't seem so hot, either, although I knew someone who told me that they managed to save a little in the latter (particular case, lol).
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman33 wrote:
Some countries in the Middle East

South Korea

Japan

You can sometimes live well in poorer countries like Thailand, Indonesia, China, etc., but once your money is converted into US dollars, it's nada.

I've heard some not so good things about the pay for EFL teachers in South America (in general terms). Turkey and Russian don't seem so hot, either, although I knew someone who told me that they managed to save a little in the latter (particular case, lol).

While that may be true at the entry level the chance to save is pretty decent once you get above that.
(get a job paying 50-60k (or better) in Thailand and your savings are easily on the order of US$15k+ per year.

Again, a typical newbie mistake (even if you aren't a newbie) - comparing base salaries rather than SAVINGS and quality of living AND decent savings ARE possible in poorer countries like China, Thailand and Indonesia (I dare say that there are more than a few teachers saving more in Thailand than their counterparts in the US after costs of living are factored in).

isitts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys bolstering China may want to look at the China forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: