Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

critical, pls read, won't take long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

-Hi everyone and esp. Joshua, sorry if I offended and I mean that. Meanwhile, I think I confused your experiences in Korea and HK. I thought it was very odd that you spent most of your time on crowd control and expected to have accomplished nothing after a year with a class but were very pleased about everything after 7 years and that you were teaching K students in HK. Sorry again, my brain was off when I wrote my previous message.
-Meanwhile, today I should finally find out what band this school is and CMI vs. EMI, although I'll probably go with VTC since they've made me a firm offer already (which the high school in Tin Shui Wai might not be able to make for weeks) and require a firm reply in about a week. And it seems like a great place for noobs.
-Ok, finances. The school in the NT is offering at least 34,000 gross. VTC offers 20,000 and change plus a free apt. in Chai Wan, in Eastern, facing Victoria Harbour and with two big parks behind it and an outdoor pool and indoor gym. I might have a flatmate but isn't it a good deal? Some people seem to think Tin Shui Wai's a crappy area. Well, I have a wife and two daughters and therefore want someplace moderately nice and totally safe. But from what I could tell online about Tin Shui Wai there are some massive parks there and it's near the sea.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not such a good deal if you have to put up with a flatmate, esp given that you have a wife and two kids (I missed that b4). If I were you I'd try and see if you can get a flat just for you and the family.

Chai Wan isn't a picture postcard but it's well positioned trips to some of HK's best coastal areas (eg. Shek O, Sai Kung) and is also easy to get into Central.

Moneywise there's not much in it between the two after taking into account the rent you'd have to pay with the TSW job.

I'd still go with the VTC but try and get that flat sorted ...
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Thanks Prisilla and everyone else. I just found out it's CMI, lower band 2. Work hours are 8-4, 3 or 4 teaching hrs. per day and they may need me to stay later sometimes but I said I wouldn't more than twice a week since I have a family. As for the flat with VTC, I've heard everyone gets exactly the same and I've heard there are private flats for married teachers, so there's no tellling.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:

Chai Wan isn't a picture postcard

Oi...I live in Chai Wan...!
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:

Moneywise there's not much in it between the two after taking into account the rent you'd have to pay with the TSW job.

20k?

No way....NET is way more than that as a base with the right qualifications and experience.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
Perilla wrote:

20k?

No way....NET is way more than that as a base with the right qualifications and experience.

He says the TSW job is offering 34K - I'm assuming that includes the special (ie. housing) allowance, but if not then yes, the TSW job would then come to around 50K. Which is it??
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

The lower band 2 CMI high school in TSW wants to pay me a base salary of about 20,000 plus a housing allowance of 14,000 or a bit more. They informed me they def wanted to hire me but they'd better send me a formal contracts and everything else seriously soon if I'm even to consider it. I'm leaning more toward VTC and I only just found out thanks to someone here that I could pursue my PGCE working there, always thought I had to work in a public school to do that.
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

Dude Love Japan wrote:
- VTC offers 20,000 and change plus a free apt. in Chai Wan, in Eastern, facing Victoria Harbour and with two big parks behind it and an outdoor pool and indoor gym. I might have a flatmate but isn't it a good deal? .
Dude just so you understand there are no parks next to the VTC quarters. The "indoor gym" becomes overcrowded if there is more than one person using it. The pool is nice but full of awful children. Regarding the flatmate have you considered that you, your wife and children will be expected to sleep in one room. Finally, regarding the flatmate situation it may be the beginning of hell. It has been for many others.
Veek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm correct, I think your base salary should be calculated as follows:

Starting point @ Pt 15 ($ 22240)

You have 10 years of experience, but the salary cap for NETs without a PGDE is at point 20 ($28380)

The special allowance at the moment is $16859.

So your minimum salary should be $39099 (22240+16958) (if you're recruited under the NET scheme to a maximum of $ 45239.

Does the VTC provide you with the passage, baggage and medical allowances the NET scheme provides?

seems like the NET job is paying more ...

another point is have you taken into consideration school for your 2 young daughters?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing turned up so far for that school...

...schooling is something that you need to think about as currently there are NO places for small fry in ESF or any of the international schools. The waiting lists for both are insane at present.
Veek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also most local schools are not so willing to take Non-Chinese speaking kids as well
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: critical, pls read, won't take long Reply with quote

Dude Love Japan wrote:
VTC has mixed reviews; teacher satisfaction there apparently very much depends on which branch one works at. Housing is usually shared but seems otherwise great overall.
. I heard VTC students aren't the most academically inclined but as long as they're quiet when I'm talking and for the most part do as I say (pair work and pay attn.) we'll be fine. Thanks for any and all input.
Hahahahahaha VTC students are some of the most apathetic, unmotivated imbeciles you are every likely to meet and they are the good ones.
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Veek that the NET salary offered seems a bit low - are they offering a salary outside the usual NET banding?

As I and others have pointed out, the VTC post could be a bit of a nightmare (given that you have a family) if the accomodation doesn't work out. You might end up having to find your own place, and on a relatively low salary of around 20K things might get tricky.

Maybe the NET offer deserves closer scrutiny - unless you can come over and check out the VTC accomodation and make sure it's OK.
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla wrote:
- unless you can come over and check out the VTC accomodation and make sure it's OK.
The accommodation is actually beautiful. It is spacious and some may even say luxurious. The views are panoramic. However, sharing is the issue and you are unlikely to know the extent of the situation until starting the job.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK_GURU wrote:
Perilla wrote:
- unless you can come over and check out the VTC accomodation and make sure it's OK.
The accommodation is actually beautiful. It is spacious and some may even say luxurious. The views are panoramic..

Directly over the MTR depot with views of tracks, and on the other side, a lovely view of a three lane motorway at the base of a mountain...

......oh, and pink too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: