Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

critical, pls read, won't take long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
Just went by the pink fallace on my way home....not sure where these two 'huge' parks are....I mean, there's a mountain there, but I didn't see no 'parks'....maybe they're camouflaged.

Trust me. There are no parks. There is a promenade along the water which is connected to the MTR Hung Fa Chuen housing complex. It is a mildly pleasant walk but it will take you ten minutes to get there. Also Chai Wan Park is about ten minutes walk away as well. It is okay but like most parks in HK it is not a space that is particularly nice to be in. You can not walk, play or sit on grass which I think sums up the situation nicely. Anyone who thinks there are two parks next to the building must be experimenting with hallucinogenics.

In the quarters there is a tree covered courtyard and at the other end a very small children's play area. Maybe this is what the OP is looking at. The mountainside nearby, like many in HK is unaccessable.
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Quote:
I understand my family and I will have to sleep in one room but that's what we usu do anyway and the shared area's huge. Point taken about the gym and pool. As for the flatmate, I might get an awful one, great one or none.

No offence Dude Love Japan, but I think I've got more sympathy for the person who ends up having to share an apartment with an entire family - I know I wouldn't be too impressed if my new 'flatmate' turned out to be a family of four. Obviously you've looked into this, but I'd have thought an offer of shared housing would usually apply to singletons only?
This = Hell
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

If so I bet I can endure it until I make other arrangements.
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

Dude Love Japan wrote:
You don't get it Dude. Its not about you. Its about the poor person that has to live with you and your family. Nothing against you personally but imagine being a young person and finding out that you need to share with a husband and Korean wife and two infant children. What a nightmare. there goes entertaining, playing music, being free and not to mention the family will dominate the use of the shared spaces. This = hell and the beginning of the end of one's contract. It is untenable.
Tudor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

HK_GURU wrote:
Dude Love Japan wrote:
You don't get it Dude. Its not about you. Its about the poor person that has to live with you and your family. Nothing against you personally but imagine being a young person and finding out that you need to share with a husband and Korean wife and two infant children. What a nightmare. there goes entertaining, playing music, being free and not to mention the family will dominate the use of the shared spaces. This = hell and the beginning of the end of one's contract. It is untenable.

That's pretty much the point I was, subtly, trying to make. Now, this maybe a stupid question Dude and feel free to shout me down, but do VTC actually know you're planning on moving your family into their shared accomodation?
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Tudor, yes, mentioned it in the interview, email and official documents. Meanwhile, everyone I know personally who lives in HK and knows my situation recommended the VTC job.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, no one from VTC has posted here...and I have had on very good authority that the director reads these sites and anyone who posts in any negative way will soon be leaving. Apparently too many people have said too many bad things about VTC.....

My 'contact' has told me, on all levels, DO NOT WORK for VTC. Don't know why, don't know when, but he/she said go with the NET every time.

I am not trying to stir this up...this is what I have been told by someone today. Avoid VTC.
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joshua2006 wrote:
Funnily enough, no one from VTC has posted here...and I have had on very good authority that the director reads these sites and anyone who posts in any negative way will soon be leaving. Apparently too many people have said too many bad things about VTC.....

My 'contact' has told me, on all levels, DO NOT WORK for VTC. Don't know why, don't know when, but he/she said go with the NET every time.

I am not trying to stir this up...this is what I have been told by someone today. Avoid VTC.
Joshua - The VTC has an external relations office that scours the internet looking for negative press and actually, Dear Leader is a nice lady.
articulate_ink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for VTC for three years. My only public comment will be that in my time there, married couples were not expected to share their flats with roommates. However, there was one odd restriction on their usage of the space: one of the bedrooms was mandated to be kept locked, and the occupants were not given the key. This was apparently done in order to make the arrangement more "fair" or perhaps to keep them from renting the space out.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the outcome of this story? Which one have you taken?
therock

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the VTC one.
HK_GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon none of the above. Perhaps the OP became lost in the fictional, mythical parks next to the staff quarters. Smile
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....is VTC the nirvana you were expecting?
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HK_GURU wrote:
I reckon none of the above. Perhaps the OP became lost in the fictional, mythical parks next to the staff quarters. Smile
Or he has been thrown into the VTC dungeon of despair....
rawera

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no experience in HK nor plans to move there or really any interest in this forum aside from boredom, I desperately want to know the outcome too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: