Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hong Kong Short Term Stay Acc. Week to Month

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenCardigan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Hong Kong Short Term Stay Acc. Week to Month Reply with quote

Grad. Dip. program is over. Have my flight booked for Hong Kong for Dec. 17. Get ready, Hong Kong, because I am a comin'! Very Happy

Got a response from the NET folks already, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

Any recommendations about good BandBs and/or cheap hotels? On a thread a while back someone mentioned that there was a little hotel in Mong Kok that was a popular watering hole with NETs. What was the name of that place?

Any good recommendations on cheaper serviced apartments? The cheapest I've come across is 19,000HK/month, a little out of my budget.

The plan is to stay in a hotel for a week, from the 17th to the 24th, and find a monthly accommodation that doesn't break the bank.

Look forward to hearing from you....And meeting you (can say that now

Wink )
jaffa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is THE place for downtown HK: http://www.chungking-mansions.hk/

... that's in the cheap bracket.

Shame the YMCA don't do dorms anymore because that was a way better place to stay, but Chungking is a HK insitution/sight in itself.
Perilla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa wrote:
This is THE place for downtown HK: http://www.chungking-mansions.hk/

... that's in the cheap bracket.

Shame the YMCA don't do dorms anymore because that was a way better place to stay, but Chungking is a HK insitution/sight in itself.

I wouldn't stay at Chungking as IMO it's a death trap if/when a fire breaks out there. There are also quite a few dodgy types hanging out around there. It's also not that cheap (nowhere in HK is cheap), though granted it's cheaper than most places in HK.

My preference would be to pay a little more for something a lot better, wherever that might be. If your budget can stretch to it I'd highly recommend the Salisbury YMCA Hotel - fantastic location on the TST waterfront with a great view of HK's famous skyline, and a bargain compared to most hotels in that area. Unfortunately it's not as cheap as it used to be, but the city-view rooms at the back might still make it feasible for a short stay on a budget.
sistercream

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Salisbury Y does still have dorms; very nice ones by hostel standards.

As most places, you pay less if you're further from the centre: think Y-Loft in Chaiwan, or Noah's Ark on Park Island.
GreenCardigan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sister.

Looks like a great hotel. Price-wise, it costs a pretty penny.

Booked a stay on HK island for a week, which should buy me enough time to find a short-term apt. or accomodation elsewhere.

Thanks.

So do the folks on this forum meet-up or get together anywhere in HK once in a while?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: