Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum age of 27?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dackinator



Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Minimum age of 27? Reply with quote

Hi,

I almost had what looked like a really nice offer to work in Hong kong - january start with flights paid for, two weeks accomodation, and fairly good money.

But I just found out I cant - because im 26. I was looking forward to going, so its disappointing, especially because in four months i will turn 27.

Is this a common requirement? If it is i may as well start looking elsewhere. Also is there no way around it? Its frustrating being so close to 27. Especially because as i understand it, I'd already be considered 27 in china anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joshua2006



Joined: 04 Jan 2010
Posts: 335

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard that before....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 773
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

27? So what?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Veek



Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think they came up with some sort of BS answer ... I started in HK when I was 22 .. and that was in a school, not a centre. Keep trying .. eventually someone will appreciate it .. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dackinator



Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veek wrote:
I just think they came up with some sort of BS answer ... I started in HK when I was 22 .. and that was in a school, not a centre. Keep trying .. eventually someone will appreciate it .. Very Happy

Fortunately not, I followed it up pointing out that technically in China im already 27, and they're looking into it.

I found out it was a recruitment agency, dealing with british council hong kong, who in turn were recruiting on behalf of someone else. So who knows what school this actually is.

I've seen 27 listed as a minimum age on positions in Malaysia, perhaps it was a mix up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sushikurva



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 52
Location: out n' about

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very wary of the British Council in Hong Kong...it's a horrible place to work. Without going into all the sordid details, a couple of years ago in the annual survey of 'staff morale' BCHK came in second to last in the entire network (over 100 countries with teaching centres in about half that many)... and friends there now say it has got worse since then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 773
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
Be very wary of the British Council in Hong Kong...it's a horrible place to work. Without going into all the sordid details, a couple of years ago in the annual survey of 'staff morale' BCHK came in second to last in the entire network (over 100 countries with teaching centres in about half that many)... and friends there now say it has got worse since then.


I'd take this with a pinch of salt. I know plenty of people who work/ed there. While none of them would rave about it there are plenty of worse places to work - like just about every private language school for starters.

I think one reason for low morale at BCHK (if true) may be down to the fact that many of the teachers there progress to better jobs - there are heaps of ex-BCHK teachers now at the language centres at HKU, PolyU, CityU, etc. There may be a sense of getting left behind among those still at the Council.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sushikurva



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 52
Location: out n' about

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Getting left behind" (?!?) wasn't the problem when I was there,or from what I've heard from people who are still there, it was things like having hours and benefits cut significantly, and having these changes made with little explanation or opportunity to have concerns about the changes taken into account or even heard. A year and a half ago when these changes started, 20 percent of the staff either quit or didn't renew their contracts because of this.

Like the staff survey, these are facts. Sure, there are plenty of worse places to work, and there are some good things about the BC, but that doesn't warrant defending a place about which you have no first-hand experience. Perhaps you should check with the many people you know who work there (if true) before you give advice...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Perilla



Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 773
Location: Hong Kong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
Perhaps you should check with the many people you know who work there (if true) before you give advice...


No need, I see these people day in, day out. And don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm not saying these teachers are totally happy with BC - far from it, and as you say, they have genuine grievances.

As for "first-hand experience", I taught for BCHK myself once upon a time and loathed it - but that's me. And I would loathe a private language school even more.

Private sector TEFL is (let's face it) in many respects a lousy job. BC, warts and all and despite recent negative changes, is still as at the upper end of this shitty sector.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oxi



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 325
Location: elsewhere

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
"Getting left behind" (?!?) wasn't the problem when I was there,or from what I've heard from people who are still there, it was things like having hours and benefits cut significantly, and having these changes made with little explanation or opportunity to have concerns about the changes taken into account or even heard. A year and a half ago when these changes started, 20 percent of the staff either quit or didn't renew their contracts because of this.

Like the staff survey, these are facts. Sure, there are plenty of worse places to work, and there are some good things about the BC, but that doesn't warrant defending a place about which you have no first-hand experience. Perhaps you should check with the many people you know who work there (if true) before you give advice...


If 20% quit, that's still 80% who didn't, right? I wonder what retention rates are for a few other employers in HK.

I worked BCHK for 2 years then moved on. I thought they were ok, little bit naff, but not as bad as quite a few others. I had issues here and there, but usually just minor things, nothing that would make me walk out in disgust. (I can give details if you like, some might seem serious to you, some would be laughably pointless). I also worked for BC in a few other countries too. They all have their ups and downs, usually dependent on which bosses are in at that moment, either doing well, or making a mess of it.

BC sit above the really awful jobs that pay 15 - 20K, but below EDB/NET or ESF which most BC staff try to get to later, and if they can't, well, then they're unhappy.

If I had to go back, I would. It's an easy job and pays ok.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sushikurva



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 52
Location: out n' about

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi wrote:
If 20% quit, that's still 80% who didn't, right? I wonder what retention rates are for a few other employers in HK..


Glad to see critical thinking skills are alive and well this morning.... this rate was far higher than it had been previously, and was a direct result of the cutting of hours and benefits which I mentioned before, as well as the nasty atmosphere and way that these changes unfolded. Incidentally, this cutting of hours/benefits happened during a year which had been preceded by BCHK making a 1 million + pound surplus. I can't speak about other employers in HK, but I would imagine that, all else being equal, retention rates would follow a pattern something like this: employers who treat employees well have higher rates than employers who don't. In case you've missed the point again: At the present time, the BCHK doesn't treat its employees well, and is, in the opinion of a significant number of current and recent employees, a miserable place to work.

I've been in TEFL for nearly 15 years and worked in loads of countries, including a number of BC centres, and while some jobs have obviously been a lot better than others, the only place I have ever dreaded going to work is BCHK.

oxi wrote:
I worked BCHK for 2 years then moved on.


oxi wrote:
I also worked for BC in a few other countries too. They all have their ups and downs, usually dependent on which bosses are in at that moment, either doing well, or making a mess of it.


When did you work there? Like Perilla, you seem to have missed the point here too... I didn't say the BC in all places and times is horrible (I still work fot the BC, btw, with no probs, just not in HK-- it certainly can be an easy, relatively well paid job) but rather the centre in HK is going through a particularly nasty phase at the moment and that it's a crappy place to work. The bosses in the last few years have indeed been making a mess of it. The fact that there are still crappier places to work doesn't change that, or make it an acceptable place to work.

oxi wrote:
BC sit above the really awful jobs that pay 15 - 20K, but below EDB/NET or ESF which most BC staff try to get to later, and if they can't, well, then they're unhappy.


Brilliant reasoning. They're unhappy at the BC because they didn't get a job elsewhere? Maybe they're looking for jobs elsewhere because they aren't happy at the BC? Hmmmm..possible? If you mean the people there are just looking for higher paying jobs, that too proves my point- they are; there hasn't been a pay rise at BCHK for something like 8 years.

A few days ago I heard from a friend who still works there that the manager who initiated these changes has admitted they have had a negative effect on the business. Their answer to 'no pay rise in 8 years' was always 'until recruitment and retention are an issue, we won't consider a pay rise.' He has said that in light of the fact that they have had to cancel 68 classes already this term because there aren't enough teachers on cover for when people call in sick, that their retention rate has plummeted since the changes, and that they are having a hard time finding qualified people to fill vacancies, retention and recruitment have now become an issue.


oxi wrote:
If I had to go back, I would.


Good for you. Since 'had to' implies a lack of choice, you're not saying much. You'd choose the BC over starvation? Me too. Well said.


The BC in HK is, at the present time, a horrible place to work. Admittedly, it is also better than some other, more horrible places, so if your criteria for accepting a job is 'it's not as bad as the utterly crap place over the road,' then by all means apply, and enjoy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oxi



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 325
Location: elsewhere

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'it's not as bad as the utterly crap place over the road,'

That is indeed my point. Thought I made it clear. I said it sits between the crap ones and EDB/NET

You have too much time on your hands if biting people on Tefl forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sushikurva



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 52
Location: out n' about

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi wrote:
You have too much time on your hands if biting people on Tefl forums


52 posts in 6 years? I clearly don't spend much time on tefl forums.

I simply think the people who made those decisions at BCHK, and needlessly made and continue to make the lives of the people who worked/work there more difficult, should be held accountable for the situation they have created, and that people should be aware of the current atmosphere at BCHK before they decide to work there.

A year ago i pm'ed someone about BCHK when his wife had accepted a job there, simply to give her a heads up about who to watch out for and how to make life more bearable while working there. The response that I received after she started working there was that my description was spot on, and that she was going to break her contract because of the foolishness there.

Why should people go through that if they don't need to? I have merely offered specific reasons why the BCHK should be given a wide berth by anyone cncerned about not working in a miserable dump. While it may not have been your intention, you have offered generalisations which are obvious, obfuscating and unhelpful, and ignorantly defend the reprehensible.

Check my posts if, like me, you too have too much time on your hands... I rarely 'bite', but you may notice a correlation between my 'biting' responses and the thoughtlessness of the posts of their recipients.

Bite.

I'm done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oxi



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 325
Location: elsewhere

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you think it's a bad place to work. I think it's ok compared to others. Agree?

My beef is the way you belittle opposing views (I think I might have to go cry into my pillow now at being called ignorant)

You make interesting points - happy to talk in pms and give specifics if you like? I'm interested why you work for BC yet appear unhappy with them? I'm happy to tell you why I think they're ok, but I changed employer.

Or happy for this to be done if you prefer.

Either way. Calm down. The BC certainly not worth the stress!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC