Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum age of 27?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dackinator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Minimum age of 27? Reply with quote

Hi,

I almost had what looked like a really nice offer to work in Hong kong - january start with flights paid for, two weeks accomodation, and fairly good money.

But I just found out I cant - because im 26. I was looking forward to going, so its disappointing, especially because in four months i will turn 27.

Is this a common requirement? If it is i may as well start looking elsewhere. Also is there no way around it? Its frustrating being so close to 27. Especially because as i understand it, I'd already be considered 27 in china anyway.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard that before....
Perilla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

27? So what?
Veek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think they came up with some sort of BS answer ... I started in HK when I was 22 .. and that was in a school, not a centre. Keep trying .. eventually someone will appreciate it .. Very Happy
dackinator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veek wrote:
I just think they came up with some sort of BS answer ... I started in HK when I was 22 .. and that was in a school, not a centre. Keep trying .. eventually someone will appreciate it .. Very Happy

Fortunately not, I followed it up pointing out that technically in China im already 27, and they're looking into it.

I found out it was a recruitment agency, dealing with british council hong kong, who in turn were recruiting on behalf of someone else. So who knows what school this actually is.

I've seen 27 listed as a minimum age on positions in Malaysia, perhaps it was a mix up.
sushikurva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by sushikurva on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
Be very wary of the British Council in Hong Kong...it's a horrible place to work. Without going into all the sordid details, a couple of years ago in the annual survey of 'staff morale' BCHK came in second to last in the entire network (over 100 countries with teaching centres in about half that many)... and friends there now say it has got worse since then.

I'd take this with a pinch of salt. I know plenty of people who work/ed there. While none of them would rave about it there are plenty of worse places to work - like just about every private language school for starters.

I think one reason for low morale at BCHK (if true) may be down to the fact that many of the teachers there progress to better jobs - there are heaps of ex-BCHK teachers now at the language centres at HKU, PolyU, CityU, etc. There may be a sense of getting left behind among those still at the Council.
sushikurva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perilla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
Perhaps you should check with the many people you know who work there (if true) before you give advice...

No need, I see these people day in, day out. And don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm not saying these teachers are totally happy with BC - far from it, and as you say, they have genuine grievances.

As for "first-hand experience", I taught for BCHK myself once upon a time and loathed it - but that's me. And I would loathe a private language school even more.

Private sector TEFL is (let's face it) in many respects a lousy job. BC, warts and all and despite recent negative changes, is still as at the upper end of this shitty sector.
oxi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sushikurva wrote:
"Getting left behind" (?!?) wasn't the problem when I was there,or from what I've heard from people who are still there, it was things like having hours and benefits cut significantly, and having these changes made with little explanation or opportunity to have concerns about the changes taken into account or even heard. A year and a half ago when these changes started, 20 percent of the staff either quit or didn't renew their contracts because of this.

Like the staff survey, these are facts. Sure, there are plenty of worse places to work, and there are some good things about the BC, but that doesn't warrant defending a place about which you have no first-hand experience. Perhaps you should check with the many people you know who work there (if true) before you give advice...

If 20% quit, that's still 80% who didn't, right? I wonder what retention rates are for a few other employers in HK.

I worked BCHK for 2 years then moved on. I thought they were ok, little bit naff, but not as bad as quite a few others. I had issues here and there, but usually just minor things, nothing that would make me walk out in disgust. (I can give details if you like, some might seem serious to you, some would be laughably pointless). I also worked for BC in a few other countries too. They all have their ups and downs, usually dependent on which bosses are in at that moment, either doing well, or making a mess of it.

BC sit above the really awful jobs that pay 15 - 20K, but below EDB/NET or ESF which most BC staff try to get to later, and if they can't, well, then they're unhappy.

If I had to go back, I would. It's an easy job and pays ok.
sushikurva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'it's not as bad as the utterly crap place over the road,'

That is indeed my point. Thought I made it clear. I said it sits between the crap ones and EDB/NET

You have too much time on your hands if biting people on Tefl forums
sushikurva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you think it's a bad place to work. I think it's ok compared to others. Agree?

My beef is the way you belittle opposing views (I think I might have to go cry into my pillow now at being called ignorant)

You make interesting points - happy to talk in pms and give specifics if you like? I'm interested why you work for BC yet appear unhappy with them? I'm happy to tell you why I think they're ok, but I changed employer.

Or happy for this to be done if you prefer.

Either way. Calm down. The BC certainly not worth the stress!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: