Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bond Language Institute/Zhongshan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrishRob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Bond Language Institute/Zhongshan Reply with quote

Hello, I am a newbie here and a newbie to teaching English abroad.

Me and my partner are looking at something to do for a few months until July as we have some stuff lined up during the summer. We are possibly looking at China as we would both like to try out Asia first and we have e-mailed a few language schools in China.

Bond Language Institute have got back to us saying they are interested in possibly interviewing us. The package they offer seems decent but have seen a few mixed reviews on the board about Bond so I am not entirely sure as to go with. I did find it weird that they are only asking us to provide a passport scan and two reference letters, is that normal or should that ring alarm bell? I've also questioned them about some of the parts of their pay package they advertise on their website just to be extra sure about what we get.
In terms of Bond itself as a language school, what is the consensus about them? Are they a legit school that won't screw us over or should be beware of them?

As far as Zhongshan, it seems like a decent enough place as far as location in China, pollution, prices, etc. What are the better areas of the city to live in? The school provides accommodation but I have quizzed them about where the apartment we are going to be given is and what's it like. Where should I absolutely NOT take as far as areas are concerned for transportation/crime/whatever else?

It would be great to have feedback by someone that lives/has lived in Zhongshan and teaches/has teached for Bond Language Insitute.

Last edited by IrishRob on Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: bond Reply with quote

Hello Rob I kinda doubt if it is possible for you to do this.

Your paperwork will take 2 months, and that means it will be some time mid December. You said you want to leave the end of June. This only gives you 6 months here, and I doubt if the school will hire you for just 6 months.

Did you tell this school that you intend to leave at the end of June?
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will hire you for the six months. I was talking to one of their Chinese employees at a wedding last weekend who told me they need foreign teachers right now. The question is can they get you a Z viza to enter the country with and then convert it to a resident permit. I worked for Bond in 2009 and they lied about the paperwork so I was working illegaly. The only teacher at that time who was legit had paid out over 10,000 of her own money to get the paperwork done, including flying back to the UK, and Bond refused to refund any of it. I know of other teachers since then who have quit due to Bond not getting them resident permits, so be wary.

As to where you will work and live, it depends where they need you to teach. They have schools in Zhongshan city and in Xiaolan, which is a town north of Zhongshan. I lived and worked in Xiaolan and it's okay, but it's a very small parochial place by most standards. Almost everyone speaks Cantonese so you won't pick up much Mandarin. It does have great clubs though and though it's a factory town with very little to look at other than factories and traffic, it does have a rail station on the high speed rail link between Zhuhai and Guangzhou which also has stops in places like Foshan and Shunde, so you can get away for the day or the weekend, if you don't have classes at the weekend that is. I worked most of my hours in a middle school, and the other teachers worked mainly in primary or middle schools too. It was hard work. My average class size was 60 students who spoke very little English, so be prepared.

Get as much information as you can from Bond, but take it with a pinch or two of salt. Good luck.
IrishRob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much to everyone for the words of warning and the information. I e-mailed them back with a comprehensive list of questions about their pay package, documents and accommodation and they never got back to me so that's now a no-go.

Thank you anyway everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: