Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Value of BEd after MEd?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vision

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Value of BEd after MEd? Reply with quote

Howd'y!

I'm considering doing a BEd to add a more competitive edge to my qualifications.

I already have a CELTA, BA, MEd TESOL, and 10 years experience (seven in the Middle East).

Would the BEd add any value after having done an MEd? Or are there better options? DELTA, PhD, MA perhaps?

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
I'm considering doing a BEd to add a more competitive edge to my qualifications. I already have a CELTA, BA, MEd TESOL, and 10 years experience (seven in the Middle East).

Would the BEd add any value after having done an MEd? Or are there better options? DELTA, PhD, MA perhaps?

No, in fact, it makes absolutely no sense to get a second (sequential) BA even if you didn't already possess an MA.

It's unclear what you mean by adding a more competitive edge to your current qualifications (i.e., what your career goals are), so it's hard to comment on what, if any, additional credentials you might consider.
vision

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

No, in fact, it makes absolutely no sense to get a second (sequential) BA even if you didn't already possess an MA.

Thanks for your thoughts. Any specific reasons why you think this might be so?

My goal is to stay in the Middle East for a couple more years. I'd then like to transition into a university position in SE Asia.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Any specific reasons why you think this might be so?

It's because a bachelor's degree has dropped in status and is now considered equal to a high school diploma. Additionally, one's education is expected to progress---to gain as well as build upon knowledge. Getting another BA would only make sense if you were changing to an entirely different field (medicine, for example) that requires a specific foundation or knowledge as a prerequisite for further studies.

and wrote:
My goal is to stay in the Middle East for a couple more years. I'd then like to transition into a university position in SE Asia.

If that's your goal, then check out the job ads for your desired profession or position and use that as a guide in determining what credentials to add. Similarly, go to SE Asian university websites and look at the credentials held by faculty in your target position. Frankly, if you expect to teach EFL in a uni setting, then your current qualifications should suffice. Otherwise, get a grad cert or MA in educational technology to boost your employability.
rtm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of BEd after MEd? Reply with quote

vision wrote:
I'm considering doing a BEd to add a more competitive edge to my qualifications.

Are you talking about adding a whole 'nother undergraduate degree, or are you talking about getting teacher certification?

If the former, I'm not sure it would be worth the time/effort/money. If the latter, then it might open up opportunities back home and also in international schools (although many international schools want people who have home-country experience). Though, as nomad soul said, it likely wouldn't help you get a job at a university.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you would do a Batchelors if you have a Masters! Confused

That doesn't make sense. Surprised

But if you mean should you go to bed after your meds then maybe. Haha! Laughing

Cool
Big Worm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually you want to move forward in the progression, not backwards. BA, MA, PHd.

Maybe a DELTA. Find the requirements for the job you want. Most likely a Phd will work for whatever you are looking for, except if you want an Int'l school job.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm wrote:
Usually you want to move forward in the progression, not backwards. BA, MA, PHd.

I agree with this. Very Happy

Remember A...B...C

Always

Be

Climbing Cool
vision

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Batchelors

Very short lines in the TESOL world these days...

A BEd is sometimes a requirement for positions in technical/vocational colleges, prep-year programs, and continuing-ed programs. Also, it's required for K-12 certification. Finally, it's not "a whole 'nother undergraduate degree". It's a professional degree that's doesn't take more than a year to complete.

I would have hoped that, of all places, this forum might have "educators" familiar with the term...
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Batchelors

A BEd is sometimes a requirement for positions in technical/vocational colleges, prep-year programs, and continuing-ed programs. Also, it's required for K-12 certification. Finally, it's not "a whole 'nother undergraduate degree". It's a professional degree that's doesn't take more than a year to complete.

I would have hoped that, of all places, this forum might have "educators" familiar with the term...

Hurrah! Your question is anserwed! Cool
Big Worm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Batchelors

Maybe you should go back and get a BA in manners. That may help get you the "competitive edge" you so badly need.

Requirements vary according to the job you want. You didn't say what type of job you are looking for, so you got general advice.

I'm on the hiring committee for an IB High School that also hires ESL teachers. Not to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about. Beds definitely are not a requirement for certification, at least in the US. Post graduate teacher training programs are. Training programs are sometimes part of a Med. program, sometimes not. I won't even start about some state alternative cert. programs. It's ridiculous to think that every certified teacher has a Bed. We actually prefer teachers with first degrees in the subject they teach, with post graduate teaching qualifications+experience. If I saw the resume of a person with the qualifications you laid out, I would wonder why he went back to get an undergrad degree instead of moving forward.

Why would you do that?
MsRT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Worm wrote:

Maybe a DELTA. Find the requirements for the job you want. Most likely a Phd will work for whatever you are looking for, except if you want an Int'l school job.

So, what would work for Int'l school jobs? A teacher's licence a given, but wouldn't PhD look appealing too? Also, would MA Linguistics and TESOL work for schools?

Thanks!
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vision wrote:
Finally, it's not "a whole 'nother undergraduate degree". It's a professional degree that's doesn't take more than a year to complete.

That's not the case in many countries. In many places, a B.Ed. is an entire degree, rather than a 1-year professional add-on. I am, however, aware that it is that way in some countries, which is exactly why I asked you to clarify if you want to get a whole new degree, or just get certification (or whatever it is called in your country).
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsRT wrote:
So, what would work for Int'l school jobs? A teacher's licence a given, but wouldn't PhD look appealing too? Also, would MA Linguistics and TESOL work for schools?

Some might hire you without home-country certification, and with graduate degrees. However, for many to be accredited, a PhD won't substitute for teacher certification. It's the same as public schools back home (at least in the US) -- if I have a PhD, it doesn't mean I can get a job in a public school if I don't have teacher certification.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsRT wrote:

An MA in Education (leadership focused) or a Doctor of Education (EdD) would make more sense for schools but in a leadership position, not as a teacher. A PhD is more appropriate in higher education. But again, international schools teach content /subjects, such as: communication arts, math, history, science, arts, social studies, etc., with English as the language of instruction. Therefore, an MA in Linguistics or TESOL wouldn't be relevant even with a teaching license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: