Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honduras - Western International School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zackback

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Honduras - Western International School Reply with quote

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=21504

Anyone heard anything about it?

Thanks
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but my guess is that the pay won't be that much and you'll need a rec letter from your pastor. Also, they have spelling and punctuation mistakes in their advert, just a head's up.
brian1972

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught last year in Gracias, which is about 45 min by bus from Santa Rosa... which is where this school is located. We actually interviewed with the school, but decided that we could not afford to stay in Honduras. The school is new, but will be renting a building until they build their own school. The owners were very nice and had a good "plan" for the school, although in general a bit clueless about education... but they are just starting out. Pay was about 500 per month, 100 for rent and they did not pay visa costs. If you are a single person, the pay is good. The cost of living is really low in Honduras. Santa Rosa is a nice quiet town, with a very central location.
Would be happy to answer any more questions you might have about the area!
ashley11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Western International Honduras Reply with quote

I am in Honduras right now, and I met the general manager of the school, he has been a math teacher in a local college for about 10 years by now, so I do believe he knows pretty much about education! I think they have a very clear idea of what they want to do. They believe education in Honduras must change and they want to set an example. They are actually applying for an international certification with a well known american educational organization.
I am looking forward to work with them, and help them out!
Honduras is a very nice country and Santa Rosa is a very peaceful town!
Zackback

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people for your information.

When does the school plan to open?
Are they still hiring?
brian1972

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Western International Honduras Reply with quote

ashley11 wrote:
he has been a math teacher in a local college for about 10 years by now, so I do believe he knows pretty much about education!

Should have clarified. They did not seem to know much about the everyday runnings of a private, bilingual, elementary and secondary school. Questions that I asked about many things went unanswered. That is not to say they won�t figure it out... they are new at this. No biggie. They are not bad people or anything, quite the contrary. They seemed very nice and really interested in doing good things for kids. Just wanted the OP to know that this was their first year actually RUNNING a school. Which is much different than just teaching.
brian1972

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Thanks people for your information.

When does the school plan to open?
Are they still hiring?

If I remember right, they were planning on opening sometime at the end of August.
I highly doubt they are still hiring, but you never know. Send them your resume. The reason I doubt it is that when they interviewed us, there were just two positions left. Many folks they were hiring were already expats living in Santa Rosa. Who knows though, can�t hurt to contact them!
Good luck!
Oneota

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: update? Reply with quote

This school has openings again. Does any-body have any-thing new about them? Also, what about violence in Honduras?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post is kind of old, not sure if the posters are still around. ahve you tried asking the school to get in touch with current teachers?
Oneota

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written to the school, but I haven't gotten a response (yet).
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a week then. If not, try emailing again, it might have gone to their spam or they simply don't want to put you in touch with someone.
sdg05003

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been in Honduras for two months and I have not had any safety issues whatsoever. Im pretty independent in that I take cabs, ride buses and wander the city on foot at random.

Obviously safelty depends on what activities you are participating in. I dont get into cabs alone after dark, go to bars etc....

Bigger than the safety issue, i have had the boredom factor. In smaller cities (not SPS or teguc) there just is not alot going on socially, or alot of entertainment resources. yeah we do have a movie theater that is relatively cheap, but until you make some friends down here, it can be a rough adjustment period.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone break down the ESL scene in Honduras?

Best friend just got assigned honduras (comayagua, army ect) and i wouldnt mind going down there and teaching esl and hanging out for 6 months or so.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it's the same school, it now has a Facebook page (es-es.facebook.com/.../Western-International-School...Honduras/160616317306522).

I don't know if this is the same school: http://www.internationalschool.hn/
brian1972

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
Can someone break down the ESL scene in Honduras?

Best friend just got assigned honduras (comayagua, army ect) and i wouldnt mind going down there and teaching esl and hanging out for 6 months or so.

It is what you make it. We were there a year with our family of 4. We found plenty to do, but living outside the city can get a bit dull. Just depends on what you like to do.
Honduras is a very primative. Sometimes it can be like camping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: