Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEACHING IN ECUADOR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al capone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: TEACHING IN ECUADOR Reply with quote

i WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT THE GENERAL STATE OF AFFAIRS FOR PROSPECTIVE ENGLISH TEACHERS WAS IN ECUADOR?

Ideally i would like to start a new job in Quito or Guayquil(which city is better)but i am unsure of the appllication process or the chances of getting a well paid position without a degree.

I have 3 tesol certificates including a 150 hour full cert and have taught in Asia and most recently Mexico for 2.5 years.

If anyone can give me some general tips/ advice or useful contacts it would be warmly recieved.

cheers
[/b]
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you consider well-paid. If you have a North American teaching certificate, you can get up to two thousand per month, but those jobs are few and far between. Without that, you can work in a high school, where good pay is about $700 a month. There are also language institutes and universities. Most university work, at least here in Guayaquil where I am is not full time, but rather on a class by class basis. You must have a degree to work in the universities however.
The biggest issue is a visa. Most places do not sponsor work visas, and it is difficult to get other visas that will allow you to work. Some people work on volunteer or student visas, which technically is illegal, but is not strictly enforced. You can come on a 12-IX tourist visa which allows you to work legally for 6 months, but you cannot renew this. some people get Cultural Exchange visas through their employers, but there are not tons of institutions that offer it, and the pay is generally low.
As far as locations: Quito is at higher altitude, is cooler, and has a smaller population. Guayaquil is always hot, is not at a high altitude and is very close to the beaches. Both places have jobs for teachers, but again the visa is the big issue.
maxmaxmilan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: EIL Reply with quote

I've had a good experience (so far) going through EIL Ecuador. Two of us are about to start a job at a university in Machala (but there are also jobs in Quito and I think Guayaquil). The job is full time and reasonably well paid. But you may have to have a degree to work for them - I'm not sure. Worth asking at least.
al capone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks..i,ll keep them in mind but i've managed to get a job elsewhere in Quito and moving out there in February

cheers
CountBassD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

al capone wrote:
thanks..i,ll keep them in mind but i've managed to get a job elsewhere in Quito and moving out there in February

cheers

Hey big Al (Chicagoan here)

Curious about how you managed to get hired while not in Quito? My understanding was that this is basically impossible. I'm also a teacher with a CELTA, experience and no degree looking at Ecuador.
al capone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

I got a hold of a few emails off some TEFL book and a few websites.

I sent about 10-15 emails to schools in Quito and Lima and got a few replies (maybe 5-6).

If you PM me i will send you the email addresses of the positive relpys

cheers
Globetrotting Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

al capone wrote:
Hey

I got a hold of a few emails off some TEFL book and a few websites.

I sent about 10-15 emails to schools in Quito and Lima and got a few replies (maybe 5-6).

If you PM me i will send you the email addresses of the positive relpys

cheers

.......................................................................................

Hello, Mr. Capone Smile Smile ----

Hey, if you could also send me the positive replies that you got from the places in Lima and Quito (especially Quito, but also Lima,) I would be eminently grateful.

I worked as a teacher in Quito from late October of 2010 through mid June of 2011, and I really loved everything about living there -- the food, the language, the beauty of the country, the relatively low cost of living, hey -- why not ? ? -- the girls, too Smile The only thing that I didn't really love was the school I taught in, but .... I did manage to make it through the school year there.

Now I'm in Albania and getting paid a good deal more than I did in Ecuador (though my salary and benefits were definitely decent given the cost of living in Ecuador,) but, if I had my druthers, I would return to Quito, or somewhere else in Ecuador, or somewhere else in South America or somewhere else still in Latin America Smile

I would prefer teaching in a university most, though would also go to a language institute and even another high school; I have 2 BA degrees from the States, an MA degree (in a different though related field), am close to finishing my PhD (in another related though distinct field), a fair amount of teaching experience, upper-intermediate Spanish abilities .... but, at least as of this moment, no TEFL degree (though this definitely is something that, probably after I finish my PhD in 9.5 months or so, I want to get, and conceivably in Ecuador itself, though that is something undecided at this point.)

Anyways, that's my deal. I'm going to send you this same message as a PM.

Take care, hope all is well, I really appreciate any help you could possibly give me and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the Best,
Globetrotting Teacher
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a position with one of the big schools (e.g. English First or Inlingua) who will get you a visa, but not object to you taking work elsewhere. Then once you have your PhD contact the local Universities, you will have no trouble finding work. Depending on your major may be able teach classes in that as well, content classes pay better.

The main catch is that most Universities won't take you on full time until they know you (and sometimes they still won't) and without a full time position you can't get a visa through them. If you are in a position to get your own visa (invest $25,000 either in savings or property) then you will be snapped up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: