Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Scam for Sure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voltaire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: A Scam for Sure Reply with quote

-Peace be upon you-

For me the whole point of Dave's is to share this sort of information. This ad from Serious Teachers.com is a scam for sure:
Quote:
Job Posting # 177115/6744
June/6/2009 07:37
Job Title: female/Male teacher who has had teaching experienc
Located at: sharjah (United Arab Emirates)

Vacancy: 5 or more
Salary: $4850 USD
Requisites: experience Teachers

Details:
Accommodation for one year contract duration, competitive monthly salaries, and FREE airfare. We are offering a one year contract with the provision of all the opportunities, tools, support, and encouragement, you will need to make the right choices as you thrive both within your new workplace and community. We need serious teachers who can make up this position. There are charged for any of our services! Provide FREE furnished living accommodation provided by school(within walking distance of school hear in U.A.E), allowance, insurance, pension, etc.
monthly salary negotiable FREE round trip air ticket and pick-up arrangements.Severance pay (1 month salary)

Job Posting # 177115/6744
June/6/2009 07:37

If nothing else the $4850 and the fractured English ought to be tip offs. This is a place (in as much as a place that does not actually exist can be called so) that calls itself Al Sharjah, after a suburb of Dubai. The street address is a lie, and most telling of all, there domain letters are TK. I was trying to workout which of the UAE kingdoms could possibly have this code. None is even close to being a reasonable match. Then when I looked at a list of country domain names I discovered that TK is Tokelau, a Pacific atoll, territory of New Zealand. The people on this miniscule and oddly rectangular-shaped coral island are so hard up for cash they let anyone rent their domain.

Anyway, if I may quote again, here's a piece I found about Serious Teachers (http://www.seriousteachers.com/), which aims to be a stuck up sort of Dave's Cafe.

Quote:
"I noticed that a lot of these scam jobs start at SeriousTeachers.com As a language school human resources director, I have to give my 2 cents about SeriousTeachers.com scam. Beware of SeriousTeachers.com.

In my experience, I have posted 1 job ad on their site for the "free trial". Within 2 days, I received over 60 "form emails" about "interested teachers" though nowhere in the email was the teacher speaking directly to us about our ad That being said, EVERY link in the email redirected me to a "pay" page to contact any teacher on the list. Funny enough, when we actually did contact some of the teachers, they had no idea who we were and after being directed to our ad, they stated they were not interested.

MOD edit/moved to UAE forum
shovels and luggage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks. Reply with quote

I was just contacted by this company. Thanks for the heads up.
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While many might feel Sharjah is a suburb of Dubai - it is a separate Emirate with its own ruler (and laws at various levels).

As you say, the salary and the .tk are dead giveaways as are emails soliciting you. Reputable GCC employers are usually inundated by applicants, they don't have to search you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: