Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet more anti-Euro nonsense from the BBC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again: "Return of the Drachma"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18279522
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sasha,

Don't you read what other papers are saying worldwide? Don't you have any contacts in Greece? It's not the BBC.

Greeks are withdrawing hundreds of millions of euros before crunch elections on Sunday which could see the country leave the single currency.(See Greek newspaper Ekathimerini). Big banks have had combined daily deposit outflows of up to 800 million Euros this week, according to senior financiers in Athens. Smaller banks see tens of millions being taken out.

The pace of withdrawal has increased in recent days as fears grow that anti-austerity parties, including the far-Left Syriza group, could triumph in the elections. Such a result could lead to Greece being forced out of the euro if the new government refuses to stick with the painful austerity measures attached to its massive bail-out.

Emergency plans to deal with a Greek exit from the eurozone have been worked on by the European Commission. A Greek exit from the Euro would lead to the collapse of French and other banks exposed to Greek debt and the swift unravelling of the single currency.

Mrs Merkel and other German leaders have repeatedly said that Greece must fulfil all its commitments as a condition for remaining in the eurozone
while suggesting that a Greek exit was manageable, if not desirable.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, yes, I do read the current propaganda. But this 'Return of the Drachma' article has been around for quite a while now, in various guises. It's whipped out anytime there is another scent of trouble. One can almost see the editorial staff rubbing their sweaty, oily palms together in glee at the prospect of a currency collapse...
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:
Sasha,

Don't you read what other papers are saying worldwide? Don't you have any contacts in Greece? It's not the BBC.

Greeks are withdrawing hundreds of millions of euros before crunch elections on Sunday which could see the country leave the single currency.(See Greek newspaper Ekathimerini). Big banks have had combined daily deposit outflows of up to 800 million Euros this week, according to senior financiers in Athens. Smaller banks see tens of millions being taken out.

The pace of withdrawal has increased in recent days as fears grow that anti-austerity parties, including the far-Left Syriza group, could triumph in the elections. Such a result could lead to Greece being forced out of the euro if the new government refuses to stick with the painful austerity measures attached to its massive bail-out.

Emergency plans to deal with a Greek exit from the eurozone have been worked on by the European Commission. A Greek exit from the Euro would lead to the collapse of French and other banks exposed to Greek debt and the swift unravelling of the single currency.

Mrs Merkel and other German leaders have repeatedly said that Greece must fulfil all its commitments as a condition for remaining in the eurozone
while suggesting that a Greek exit was manageable, if not desirable.

Totally misses the point. Factual though this somewhat condescending mini-lecture is, it doesn't in any way address the question of whether the BBC has been anti-Euro right from the get-go. Your argument seems to be that because the Greek economy really is in a shambles, the BBC is neutral and unbiased. A nice array of facts, but somewhat faulty logic--the current situation in Greece says absolutely nothing about the BBC attitude. Reminds me a bit of the meteorologist who day after day, month after month, predicts calamitous weather, and on the day when a big storm actually does arrive gets to say, "Well, didn't I tell you this was coming?"

Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was commenting on Sasha's post of June 12th:

Quote:
Here we go again :Return of the drachma

and not on the BBC's attitude.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18490930

Right. Now that a pro-Euro coalition Greek government seems to be being formed, expect yet more snapping at heels by the BBC. Even this article seems to suggest that with only 40% of the electorate voting for the government, the Greeks really don't want to stay in the Eurozone, despite what the democratic process has yielded. This same news agency that is so quick to criticise the democratic short-comings of Brussels, by the way...

And expect more doom-and-gloom reports at every jolt or stumble on what will undoubtedly be a rocky road.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again, but fewer references to the Greek election results... surprise surprise.

'Five ways the eurozone could break up'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18193962

Love the subtle photographs. Burning Euro notes...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw a little bigotry too, why don't you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18789154
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused Sasha. This seems to be a topic really dear to your heart. But if you're a Brit (pounds) who lives in Russia (rubles), why do you care so much about the fate of the euro?

~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay my licence fee to finnace the writing of drivel by failed academics on the payroll of the BBC ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your confusion.

I care because the BBC still retains this mythical aura of objectivity. Yet, just looking at how it portrays the Euro and its difficulties, one can see that this is not true at all. The dollar, and the UK economy are also very shaky, yet how much editorial space is given over to doom-and-gloom stories about them? Can you imagine a headline "US dollar close to collapse"? or "Sterling crisis to bring about break up of United Kingdom - click on our graphics to see possible scenario"?

The BBC's portrayal of Russia is even worse! Yet, were I to focus on that, other posters would doubt my impartiality, and dismiss any concerns therein.

Ach! I'm off to the shops to buy Pravda!

Hic!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Now as an American I only get my news from Fox News* where "fair and balanced" is in the tagline! Wink

I see your point though. It's like when that Russian newspaper published an article predicting that the United States would break up while keeping Massachusetts together with Georgia.

Personally, part of me kind of hopes that the EU does break up, since it would mean that once again American backpackers will get to work in Western Europe, and thus hopefully they'll go to Paris or Rome instead of coming over to Turkey.

*No, not really. Seeing as I'm under 60 and from Massachusetts.

Regards,
~Q
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that Russian newspaper, but it sounds excellently researched!

However, I'm afraid that even were the EU to break up, it would be immediately annexed by the Motherland, state by state. Anything to keep the backpackers out! : )
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Never heard of that Russian newspaper, but it sounds excellently researched!

Have you ever been to the United States, Sasha?
The only way those states remain together in the event of a US breakup is if one of them cops a Putin and Chechynaizes the other. Twisted Evil

Sashadroogie wrote:
However, I'm afraid that even were the EU to break up, it would be immediately annexed by the Motherland, state by state. Anything to keep the backpackers out! : )

You mean anything to keep the American backpackers out. British backpackers are still free to make arses of themselves through Western Europe, as the constant resurgence on this forum of a certain 2004 op-ed piece by a certain failed TEFLer shows.

~Q
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't read too much into that piece of journo nonsense. As for Brit back-packers in Europe - they tend not to be true back-packers, as they understand maps and geography and stuff and know that they are just an Easyjet away from home.

Make no mistake about it! The EU exists for the sole purpose of keeping Americans out of our TEFL schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: