Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rise and fall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Dahab Reply with quote

I went to Dahab in 91.....have lived in and around the Middle East for a decade and had a great diving holiday off the shores of Hurghada. I'd rather do that than sit in a 5Zl bar pishing it up, paying decent cash for chod grub, cruddy service and the same old TEFL teaching round dodgers, getting beer from sour faced girls who look like blow up dolls.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dahab Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I went to Dahab in 91.....have lived in and around the Middle East for a decade and had a great diving holiday off the shores of Hurghada. I'd rather do that than sit in a 5Zl bar pishing it up, paying decent cash for chod grub, cruddy service and the same old TEFL teaching round dodgers, getting beer from sour faced girls who look like blow up dolls.

I'm sorry, but nothing in Hurghada can be described as "great". The airport is a joke, the infrastructure is pathetic and the less said about the Arab approach to customer service, the better. Hurghada is just a dump - the endless stretches of unfinished buildings, the rubbish everywhere, the diabolical standards of driving - the list is endless.

Then again, if you insist on going to pubs with sour faced girls who look like blow up dolls, no wonder you find Poznan miserable. And if you have to 'pish it up" in pubs, well...
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

'Off the shores of Hurghada'-read. Actually I stayed in a lovely hotel and had a lovely room and only went off piste' to go quad-biking. Did what I always do in the Middle East ie give the houseboy a decent tip on day 1 and then got fantastic service. Try that next time you're out that way.

From the things you say, it doesn't seem that you are from the western world. I know what good service is and it ain't to be got in Poznan. Same for high end cuisine. Funnily enough we were all chatting about just how dire Poznan has become re going out and value for money only yesterday.

And please-stop talking about this career thing going on. I've never seen it in Poland in the SIXTEEN years I've been around it. Having lived in 3 of its cities I've met teachers who teach, check/edit stuff, write a bit, translate and do voiceover work. Erm it's called teaching and doing other stuff.....career harrumph. Oh yes, you can become a big swinger and open your own business.....in my day we called that being freelance....half the schools run by expats have a staff of like 3 and one of them's the cleaning lady. You can become a DOS, my goodness what a status upgrade and get little more in the way of pay and the dubious title of 'King of the Twits'. I worked at UAM for most of the time I was in Poznan.

I'd hate to live in Poland on 6 or 7 k a month. Depressing as ****.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
'Off the shores of Hurghada'-read. Actually I stayed in a lovely hotel and had a lovely room and only went off piste' to go quad-biking. Did what I always do in the Middle East ie give the houseboy a decent tip on day 1 and then got fantastic service. Try that next time you're out that way.

From the things you say, it doesn't seem that you are from the western world. I know what good service is and it ain't to be got in Poznan. Same for high end cuisine. Funnily enough we were all chatting about just how dire Poznan has become re going out and value for money only yesterday.

And please-stop talking about this career thing going on. I've never seen it in Poland in the SIXTEEN years I've been around it. Having lived in 3 of its cities I've met teachers who teach, check/edit stuff, write a bit, translate and do voiceover work. Erm it's called teaching and doing other stuff.....career harrumph. Oh yes, you can become a big swinger and open your own business.....in my day we called that being freelance....half the schools run by expats have a staff of like 3 and one of them's the cleaning lady. You can become a DOS, my goodness what a status upgrade and get little more in the way of pay and the dubious title of 'King of the Twits'. I worked at UAM for most of the time I was in Poznan.

I'd hate to live in Poland on 6 or 7 k a month. Depressing as ****.

oooohh that's nice work. nice......work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: