Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries and taxes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeWill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Salaries and taxes Reply with quote

Is the salary that is received from language schools taxed before hand? Say for example someone is paid 2500 PLN. Is that the take home amount after ZUS, NFZ and others are paid?

What is the average salary that schools pay in Poland nowadays?

Thanks.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general idea is that for ESL in Poland, you want to negotiate an after-tax amount. It's not worth talking about gross figures because they can vary wildly according to the type of contract on offer. Always, always clarify this - and make sure that your contract (if you're a newbie) mentions the net figure.

Average salary? Can be anything from 1800zl a month through to 8000zl a month. It's impossible to pin a number on it, because every school is different.

I will say that full time jobs are becoming rather rare in the cities.

The other thing is that it's rather unlikely that a school will pay ZUS contributions for you.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
The general idea is that for ESL in Poland, you want to negotiate an after-tax amount. It's not worth talking about gross figures because they can vary wildly according to the type of contract on offer. Always, always clarify this - and make sure that your contract (if you're a newbie) mentions the net figure.

Average salary? Can be anything from 1800zl a month through to 8000zl a month. It's impossible to pin a number on it, because every school is different.

I will say that full time jobs are becoming rather rare in the cities.

The other thing is that it's rather unlikely that a school will pay ZUS contributions for you.

Sound advice there.

Leave the gross-pay talk to the school and the tax office and only worry about net figures.

When I worked under an UoDz contract a few years ago, my school took out cheaper private insurance to avoid paying ZUS.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
When I worked under an UoDz contract a few years ago, my school took out cheaper private insurance to avoid paying ZUS.

Dodgy, dodgy Wink

But it's actually worth negotiating in a small town - language schools might not be able to afford the costs of ZUS, but there's no harm in asking them to pay for some private health insurance - it's not expensive.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not dodgy at all. As an American-therefore non-EU citizen-I'm required to have private insurance to get my residency card. I don't pay ZUS and it's legal.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:
It's not dodgy at all. As an American-therefore non-EU citizen-I'm required to have private insurance to get my residency card. I don't pay ZUS and it's legal.

I got my 10 year residency with only paying for ZUS, nothing more.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:

Actually, it's not. Umowa o Dzieło contracts are used by schools, but their legality is very questionable - they're not meant to be used for things such as teaching (which is why you find many schools come up with legal fictions such as 'creating materials'). There's discussions elsewhere on here about the subject - the general consensus seems to be that the tax offices could close down half the schools overnight if they merely investigated their use of Umowa o Dzieło contracts.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe that's rue, maybe not. Whatever. It's been working for me for five years. Go figure.
maniak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea that's fine but don't say it's legal, because it's not. Like delph said, Id say all umowa o dzielo contracts don't say a thing about teaching but things like "coordinating language activities", but I'm sure you had to sign a contract that explicitly states your teaching English and you have XYZ amount of classes etc etc etc. You should be working under an Umowa o zlecenia.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniak wrote:
Yea that's fine but don't say it's legal, because it's not. Like delph said, Id say all umowa o dzielo contracts don't say a thing about teaching but things like "coordinating language activities", but I'm sure you had to sign a contract that explicitly states your teaching English and you have XYZ amount of classes etc etc etc. You should be working under an Umowa o zlecenia.

I've heard the same. Not technically legal, but common practice and no reports of any schools being shut down for doing it.

In Poland, what's legal is much less important than what's accepted common practice.

I've been told by Polish immigration officers to do visa runs to the Ukraine which were illegal as they violated the Schengen '90-days-in, 90--days-out' law.

But of course, the visa runs worked, the paperwork went through, and I'm here to write about it.

Keeping up with which way Poland's fickle bureaucratic wind is blowing is one reason I frequent Dave's. Wink
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
maniak wrote:

I've heard the same. Not technically legal, but common practice and no reports of any schools being shut down for doing it.

There are rumours every so often of a clampdown, but nothing yet. I suspect it's because they provide employment to many young people - better to get some tax revenue than nothing at all.

One thing is clear - if they do clamp down, then salaries are going to crash downwards.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

'The salaries are going to crash down'. (Delph)

Priceless.......yet you still contend that all is rosy. At least be consistent mate.
maniak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

The 11th commandment: Thou shall not get caught.

Nobody is actively looking for cases of fraud like this, since I'd say 90% of businesses do the same thing. But if somebody in some govt office has some bug up their butt, they can make your life a living hell. Pissed somebody off? Well he's going to call his uncle's brother at the Urzad Skarbowy and tell him to go and hunt you down. And how many prosecutors, lawyers or police officers do you know? Poland was, is and always will be a country of who you know, not what you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: