Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Honduras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Teaching in Honduras Reply with quote

Anyone have any info of schools to contact or experience working in Honduras?

Best friend is stationed in Honduras so its something I might be interested in.

Thanks
sdg05003

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Discovery School in Tegucigalpa, and Albert Einstein in La Lima.

Not much is going on in La lima, but its a safe little town close to san pedro sula so you can go there for entertainment,

Be careful about accepting employment on a tourist visa or any other situation that sounds sketchy. Be skeptical, and cover all your bases before you leave.

Its a great country and living here has some definate advantages, but safety is a big concern too. Personally, i would invest the money in spending some time scouting out the area before moving here, it will help you get some perspective.

another thing to be aware of is there is a cultural habit of lying or fibbing alot. Because of this, hondurans do not trust anyone. dont believe everything people say.
Good luck.
omrb83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Honduras Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
Anyone have any info of schools to contact or experience working in Honduras?

Best friend is stationed in Honduras so its something I might be interested in.

Thanks

I teach in Honduras. I doubt you'd be interested in living in my part of the country because of the very high level of drug related violence and lack of reliable infrastructure (water, electricity). If you want to work in Honduras, check out bilingual schools in Tegucigulpa or San Pedro Sula. You won't get paid much working in other parts of the country. I have a good salary where I live, but it's nothing like the teachers in schools in those cities get paid (couple thousand $ and accommodation in most cases). For a lower paycheck you could check out the coastal cities in La Ceiba or Tela (maybe Roatan island, which I know has a bilingual school that pays decently well) and have a good time there. The American School in Tegus is for state certified teachers only, as are many other international schools in Honduras (or everywhere for that matter). Two teachers I work with just got hired at the Einstein School in San Pedro Sula. One is certified, one is not, but they are a couple so that certainly matters in the hiring process. I would check out The International School as well as the Discovery School, both in Tegus. I don't know much about San Pedro, other than the Einstein School, but send in your CV and see what happens. Depending on where you've been living recently (I think in Colombia?) you may find Honduras kind of a hassle and an unpleasant place to work. Education system here is pretty backwards even in private bilingual schools. You'll be paid relatively well and receive pretty nice accommodations in the good bilingual schools in Tegus or San Pedro. The violence there can be bad, but it's not horrible. It's hard to describe because it's very relative to who you are describing it to. I go out in Tegus all the time because it's close to where we live and there isn't much to do on the weekends where we are. I wouldn't walk around at night there, certainly not by yourself, unless you are in a gated community. Downtown is extremely sketchy after dark. That said, there are good people there and the nightlife can be pretty fun. It's a poorly designed city, though, and pretty dirty as well. San Pedro is supposed to be nicer, better laid out geographically, but also more violent than Tegus. I like Honduras, but I'm not sure I would move to either Tegus or San Pedro to work. Your options on what you do at night can be pretty restricted depending on where you live and who you are with. I honestly think there are nicer and safer places in Central America to teach for better pay. I'd look into some schools in El Salvador or Nicaragua if your goal is to work in this area.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@OMR

Great post man!

Ive been to some of the most dangerous countries in Latin America but Honduras seems to be a step above the norm. Def has me alittle on edge about if I were to come. Ideally id like to live and work in Comayagua where my best friend is stationed. If not there San Pedro Sula as it has prob the best nightlife and women in the country. But the crime in San Pedro Sula I heard is off the charts! lol Pretty good chance id get killed for talking to some thugs novia or ex-novia!

Wouldnt mind teaching in El Salvador or Nicaragua but there is hardly any info on the net about opportunities in those countries.
mcmillenb07

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: gracias lempira Reply with quote

Do you know anything about the town of gracias lempira? is it a safe area?
sdg05003

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GL is safer (relatively) but extremely rural.. Think of it as camping for a year?

Im leaving in about a month to head back stateside. The violence has escalated fast since i got here, and i ready for more peaceful surroundings.
That said, the food is amazing, if not a bit repetitive.

One thing about honduras is that even in the nicer areas you will have to go without internet, running water or electricity for a week at a time without explanation. It is extremely frustrating sometimes.
mcmillenb07

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info Smile
Concepcion780

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 45 min away from Gracias, and I would agree that it is a relatively safe area. How I "feel" is of course not an objective measure of safety, but I feel very safe here. I'm in a slightly bigger city (santa rosa), so I would imagine gracias is similar if not safer. I have been meaning to go to gracias, the hot springs are supposed to be really nice.

Power and water outages are frustrating. Also, it is a beautiful area, but not too much going on. If you come I would suggest you try to learn a complex hobby and/or bring a very well stocked kindle.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracias, interesting though it is, is quite a bit smaller than Santa Rosa and I could never imagine myself living there for a long stretch of time. The hot springs are definitely a highlight and there is an old fort nearby, but it is small.
mcmillenb07

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for all the info guys Smile i really appreciate it. i will definitely bring a kindle since i love to read...but i was also wondering do you know if there are pickup games of soccer? i know soccer is popular there and i would love to continue playing..i don't expect a formal league like i play in here but would be happy to join in pickup games or scrimmages.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw quite a few people kicking a ball around wherever I went in Honduras, football's big down there, I'm sure you could get involved in something.
mcmillenb07

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks Very Happy
sdg05003

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more piece of advice i want to shout from the rooftops.

Do not teach on a tourist visit. Seriously, no matter how many times your employer swear up and down how legit it is or says "everyone does it"..... Seriously, having your butt hauled down to immigration and threatened with rest and deportation is just not worth it.

Its a good litmus test for how legit your employer is, if they wont handle your visa legally, do not accept the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: