Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sabis wants me to resign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muglyduckling

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Sabis wants me to resign Reply with quote

I have been working for a Sabis school in the middle east for about one month now, under deplorable conditions. They recently told me that they are probably going to fire me (which I am actually happy about). The school director told me that he suggests I RESIGN instead. He said they will still give me a flight ticket home if I resign, but that if they FIRE me they will make things very difficult for me. I do not plan on using this job on my resume, so can anyone tell me if they would trust that they will give me a flight home if I resign? Will they deduct money from what I've earned if I resign?
sliim

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never worked for SABIS, so I can not speak about them specifically, but from my own experiences in the ME, this sounds like a trick of some kind to me.

I once knew of a teacher working for MALI in Yemen, who was offered help to find a flight home after the US Embassy was bombed and a call was sent out for US citizens to go home. The teacher got short-changed big time.

I really feel for you in your situtation. It was stuff like that that eventually taught me to cross out much of the ME from my "places to go" list.

In my opinion--but it is only an opinion, so think before you act on the advice of a stranger on an internet forum--I would suggest that you tell them to trade the tickets and exit visa at the same time as you give the resignation letter. No one should have to tolerate threats like "I am gonna make your life difficult." If that is true, then you should stand your ground, firmly but not agressively, and demand the ticket and exit visa in exchange for the letter of resignation. Their reaction will inform you of their intentions.

Honestly though, I do not know why it makes a straw of difference to them if they fire you or you resign. It just smells too fishy to me. Check the details of your contract and see if it makes some kind of a difference.

But really, if you situation is as bad as you suggest, find whatever way you can to get out and kiss the ground when you get home. Money can be replaced. Sanity...not so much.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a reason why there used to be (and may still be) a blog called "Sabis Sucks." Laughing And plenty of warnings here...

But as to your situation, read your contract. At most places you would be under your probationary period and either party can terminate without problem. I don't understand their point about fire/resign. Get in writing that if you resign, they will pay your ticket, do it and go...

Let us know the result... good to have it on record here for future teachers with issues with Sabis.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be trying to get you to "resign" in order to avoid certain contractual and governmental rules and regulations - namely, avoiding paying for your visa costs (which they as sponsor are responsible for), and your repatriation costs (see parentheses above).

Get anything they want you to do and they promise in writing.

Otherwise they may try to deduct these costs from what they owe you under your contract.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it was the case when I worked in Saudi, that if you were fired, they had to pay your plane ticket home, but if you resigned, they didn't have to. It appears to be the same here in Qatar too. Whichever party ends the contract is responsible for your repatriation costs. I don't know if this is a factor in what's happening in your situation or not...
hippocampus

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what their reason is for firing you or asking you to resign. Have they given you a reason?
DedicatedTeacher

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SABIS is pretty good about doing the right thing. Just make sure you keep all your documents. Do not give them your residency stuff or any official documents with your name on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: