Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do reply to this please !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Do reply to this please ! Reply with quote

From genuine knowledgeable souls out there please...!

Have taken a sabbatical from my teaching job here in Ireland...I wanted change.

-Want to teach in the Middle East
-Take my profession seriously
-am 36 yrs, Female, single
-Want a bit of a social scene after a weeks work is done
-wld like to meet people to do things with my age.

DUBAI seems to be a closed shop at this stage, job-wise.

Please, please give me advice and suggestions.

Thanks to all who reply )
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be too late for the Sept. academic year. Did you contact teachaway.com, as I'd suggested in your other thread?
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, thx. Is that one of the better ones? Jobs in Saudi, Yemen more than in UAE. Do you know of any others?
topshop

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: do the job that you got Reply with quote

Hi ethel jane you have a job in Ireland when hundreds of thousands had to leave to find work. Your job is pensionable and permanent. Cop on to yourself and do the job you have in Ireland and stop trying to take jobs from people who dont have your good fortune and are FORCED to look for work abroad.

Alternatively quit your job in Ireland so someone who WANTS to teach might get a chance. Then you can emigrate like the rest of us had to do.
egyptfan

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

topshop, I think you are being a bit hard on Ethel Jane. You'll note she's 36, which means she has probably given close to 15 years' service in the system and has been through the Celtic Tiger to bust times. What's wrong if she's decided to take a break and seek a change? With some international experience, she may come back with a fresh perspective and some new ideas. Why should she quit, when there is a career break / sabbatical system in place? Should people on maternity leave do the same and make room for those looking for jobs?

Ethel Jane, you can probably still find jobs even up to August but perhaps not in Dubai or UAE. Universities in Saudi will always be looking for people last minute. You don't say which level you teach at or what subjects. A better option might be to try the international schools - tes.co.uk but, if going into tefl, you might need to get another qualification like a CELTA - to increase your employment chances and acquire some useful skills for the classroom.

Good luck with your search.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP should clarify what she has been teaching and to whom. EFL ? Gender Studies ?
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
OP should clarify what she has been teaching and to whom. EFL ? Gender Studies ?

Thank you. I'm a secondary school teacher of English. (ages 12-18 yrs. High School ). I also teach Communications. ( functionality of the English language ).

Haven't a lot of experience actually teaching TEFL, but have the qualification ( CELTA, 100+ hrs ), at an A-grade.
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egyptfan wrote:
topshop, I think you are being a bit hard on Ethel Jane. You'll note she's 36, which means she has probably given close to 15 years' service in the system and has been through the Celtic Tiger to bust times. What's wrong if she's decided to take a break and seek a change? With some international experience, she may come back with a fresh perspective and some new ideas. Why should she quit, when there is a career break / sabbatical system in place? Should people on maternity leave do the same and make room for those looking for jobs?

Ethel Jane, you can probably still find jobs even up to August but perhaps not in Dubai or UAE. Universities in Saudi will always be looking for people last minute. You don't say which level you teach at or what subjects. A better option might be to try the international schools - tes.co.uk but, if going into tefl, you might need to get another qualification like a CELTA - to increase your employment chances and acquire some useful skills for the classroom.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks a million for that. Yes, will continue the search and send of more CV's; not a whole lot of luck mind you ! I'd rather English literature at the moment, rather than teaching TEFL..
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethel Jane wrote:
I'd rather English literature at the moment, rather than teaching TEFL..

Have you considered international schools?
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethel Jane wrote:
scot47 wrote:

Thank you. I'm a secondary school teacher of English. (ages 12-18 yrs. High School ). I also teach Communications. ( functionality of the English language ).

Haven't a lot of experience actually teaching TEFL, but have the qualification ( CELTA, 100+ hrs ), at an A-grade.

If you're a qualified secondary English teacher, then go for international schools. The advantage you have, over the average TEFLer, is that you can choose jobs in nicer places than the Middle East, and still get a decent salary with benefits. Why choose the ME if you have so many other options? It's not like there's bags of accessible fascinating culture available to you, especially as a single female. If you go to Dubai you'll just be hanging out with other westerners, and as you say, there's not an abundance of jobs there just now anyway. As for the other countries which hire regularly, most TEFL teachers don't live in these places (like Saudi/Kuwait/Qatar) because they really enjoy it, they do it because they have to. If I were you I'd look at Africa! Try the times education jobs website. They have lots of international school jobs, all over the world.

Good luck!
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 'Justcolleen'.....International Schools is an option too. Suppose I just thought a year or two completely, completely different, such as the ME, would be very unique...to live here for the experience.

Was only in Dubai, which I liked. Have never travelled to any other ME country. But , yes. I know, one has to be somewhat selective!

Have been to Africa twice...two western countries. Volunteering assignments. Fabulous experience for sure. Are you working there?
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethel Jane wrote:
Thanks 'Justcolleen'.....International Schools is an option too. Suppose I just thought a year or two completely, completely different, such as the ME, would be very unique...to live here for the experience.

Was only in Dubai, which I liked. Have never travelled to any other ME country. But , yes. I know, one has to be somewhat selective!

Have been to Africa twice...two western countries. Volunteering assignments. Fabulous experience for sure. Are you working there?

I'm in Egypt, at an international school.

If you'd prefer to teach English (as in English Literature) instead of ESL, you may want to consider an international school. With your credentials and experience, you could certainly find a good, if not lucrative, position. There are loads of them in the UAE, specifically Dubai. If you need help getting pointed in the right direction to search, send me a private message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: