Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Competition?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatevs

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
whatevs wrote:

Taiwan has officially lost its luster for me.

Wow - that didn't take much. One poster posts a mildly negative opinion and you're 'off' Taiwan? But you're considering China? Rolling Eyes

Overall the teaching situation is certainly no better there and you will, on average, make about half of what you make in Taiwan for just a little less work.

Ummmm it's not just because of what I read here. People do have experiences, and chances to cull information, that go beyond the parameters of these message boards you know......

Anyway I didn't say that I was off the idea totally. just have a different impression of it now.
whatevs

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
DD Dragon Children's English School is paying between 9,000 and 15,000 on Dave's plus accommodation.

Didn't they just have a big deporting scandal? Lots of teachers left in the lurch? Did u happen to read about that too?

Thank you for the stats . It's along the lines of other things I've seen for China. But still wondering does anyone know: if you have a Taiwan stamp on your passport or on your resume does a Chinese school turn their nose up at that?
JZer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatevs wrote:
JZer wrote:
DD Dragon Children's English School is paying between 9,000 and 15,000 on Dave's plus accommodation.

Didn't they just have a big deporting scandal? Lots of teachers left in the lurch? Did u happen to read about that too?

Thank you for the stats . It's along the lines of other things I've seen for China. But still wondering does anyone know: if you have a Taiwan stamp on your passport or on your resume does a Chinese school turn their nose up at that?

Thanks for the heads up about DD Dragon!

Personally, I would try to get a university job and teach privates the rest of the time. Or maybe do online copywriting.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course JZ'er would disagree with me. Rolling Eyes

First of all, I wasn't talking about what you can make and be reimbursed, I was talking about what teachers in China make i.e earn / are paid. Go back and read my post again.

I am refunded a substantial portion of my taxes paid every year - I don't count the tax refund or my end of contract bonus as earnings. I am referring to monthly pay for hours worked on a monthly basis.

These are the top jobs posted on a couple of sites I used to use when teaching in China. You will notice that they are not in high paying (but much higher cost of living) urban centres such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guanzhou, Shenzhen etc, where competition is fierce for positions BECAUSE of the extremely high wages. Why is competition so high for them? Because their wages are NOT representative of those paid in the rest of the country.

Position: ESL Teacher
Teaching Hour: 20 hours /week
Salary: RMB6000 -7000
Working Visa: Provided (full time)
Air Ticket Allowance : Yes(full time)

Start time: February,2011
16 teaching period per week
4000RMB monthly salary
Round-way air ticket
Free single accommodation equipped with necessary facilities and free water and electricity fee

Name of Employer: Shandong Polytechnic University
Number of Vacancies:Fifteen
Duration of Contract:One year or more
Courses: English (Oral, Writing, Listening, Reading etc.)
Standard Workload:20 teaching hours per week
Academic Qualification:Bachelor's Degree or above
Monthly Salary: 6000RMB

Vacancy: 2
Salary: 6000rmb monthly
working hour: 16-20 classes per week
Start Date: 1st, September
Contract Term: 1 year
Accommodation: Free apartment well-furnished with free internet access
Air ticket(bonus): Round trip

Average working week - 16 to 20 hours = a little less than the average Taiwanese buxiban working week of 25

Average wage - 5600 Rmb

$1US = 6.345 Rmb. Therefore 5600 Rmb = $882 US

Average wage in Taiwan = 55,000 - 60,000 NT = $1858 - $2027
Therefore wages in China (outside of high paying but much higher cost of living urban centres such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guanzhou, Shenzhen etc) are less than half of what we make in Taiwan.

Can higher wages be found in China? Of course they can but you like to quote them as if they are the norm when anyone who looks at a Chinese ESL teaching job board knows they are not.

That's all I have to say on the matter - I'm not going around this topic with you again. Suffice to say that most posters on this board, who have been here for a while, know of your predilection for claiming that exceptions are the norm and just because some people have been able to do something EVERYBODY should be able to do it.

Well, some people have walked on the moon and stood atop Mount Everest.... but most people haven't...
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Therefore wages in China (outside of high paying but much higher cost of living urban centres such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guanzhou, Shenzhen etc) are less than half of what we make in Taiwan.

How many jobs in Taiwan are offering 55,000 to 60,000 a month?

It seems you are talking about the exceptions.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

About 15 out of the 50 postings on Tealit are advertising full time jobs that would pay 55,000-60,000NT a month. That is about 30 percent of the jobs in Taiwan paying the amount you quote. Three of them require teacher's certification.

The reality in Taiwan is about 8,500 RMB or 40,000NT.

In Taiwan you get on average 40,000 NT-6,000NT for an apartment=34,000NT. That is 7,285 RMB compared to your 5,600RMB which is 77% of the wages of Taiwan not 50%.

Last edited by JZer on Fri May 25, 2012 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Can higher wages be found in China? Of course they can but you like to quote them as if they are the norm when anyone who looks at a Chinese ESL teaching job board knows they are not.

That's all I have to say on the matter - I'm not going around this topic with you again. Suffice to say that most posters on this board, who have been here for a while, know of your predilection for claiming that exceptions are the norm and just because some people have been able to do something EVERYBODY should be able to do it.

The sad thing is that you don't realize that the jobs you posted are the exception rather than the norm.

One needs a college degree to teach in Taiwan. The OP has a college degree. How many native English speakers with a degree are taking 4,000RMB jobs in China? Most likely only retired people and rich kids who have money from mommy and daddy.

The jobs I posted were the first five on another website. Not the highest jobs I could find.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=96378

yamahuh wrote:
That's all I have to say on the matter

Laughing
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any of the following: Newbies to China, people with 0 experience, people with no qualifications, people who aren't strapped for cash, those who are not native speakers of English, and people who are in it for the short term. Many people here start out with jobs that pay 4000 or thereabouts. Of course there are other considerations.

Yes, the poster basically said what I did. People with no qualifications and who are not native English speakers would work for 4000 RMB. There is absolutely no reason for a college graduate to take a job for 4000RMB unless they don't need the money and don't care.

You are comparing apples and oranges. There are English teaching jobs in Taiwan paying 450 NT an hour. How many of those are held by native English speakers?
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should read the whole thing instead of the first one that supports your argument...

JZer wrote:
I know someone with no teaching experience and got 14,000RMB at his first job in China. No degree in education either.

So what is the real story?

7969 wrote:
The real story is that your friends salary in isolation is meaningless to this discussion. Where does he work? How many hours does he put in? What kind of work is he doing? Is he working legally or can he be fired tomorrow without cause? How much vacation time? Number of paid vacation days? Free accommodation or not? Travel allowance? In some ways the 4000/month job might be better.

Denim Maniac wrote:

I have a low-paying salary. Its actually a little lower than the figure quoted in the original post too, and I dont mind admitting that either.

Its for many of the reasons already mentioned, which include location, hours, convenience and type of teaching. All the salaries here are pretty low, and as far as I am aware, I havent met another teacher in my location (Yangshuo and Guilin) who is bringing home significantly more than I do, especially per hour. The headline grabbing salary figure is rarely the whole story. I agree, I would be stupid accepting my job if every other school in the area paid double, but they dont.

If anyone can find me a job that is not in a city...not even a small city, Teaching nothing but adults in small classes during daytime and weekdays only, with a southern climate, minimal pollution issues, with free accomodation two minutes from my employer Ill look at it. Unfortunately these jobs dont seem to exist in too many places.

JZer wrote:
I am wondering would someone who was looking to find a job paying 8,000-10,000RMB have a hard time finding one?

7969 wrote:
Yes and no. Everyone's going to get different results.

JZer wrote:
I really don't care that someone might choose to work for 4,000RMB. I am wondering would someone who was looking to find a job paying 8,000-10,000RMB have a hard time finding one? Assuming they were well kept and had a passport from Canada, the US, England, Ireland, Australia, or New Zealand.

stinky tofu wrote:
you need to be more specific. are you looking at language schools or
universities or international schools or middle schools? what is the
entire package? does it include airfare? does it include accommodations?
is the job legal with z-visa/fec/residence permit?
what subjects will be taught? how many hours? does the position
require office hours, english corners, marketing promotions, etc.?
the raw salary really doesn't say much about the position.

but this is what you want: if you meet the suggested requirements
(big 5 nationality, 2 years teaching experience, degree),

you should have no difficulty finding a university job (~16 hours)
paying 5-6K
(slightly lower pay in more desirable locations), including housing and airfare.

you'll find it much harder to find uni jobs paying 8-10K.

if you want more money, you can go the language mill route, where
you'll likely find jobs paying 8-12k, some with housing and airfare,
some without. but in these jobs you'll be working more hours, and
may have more responsibilities outside of teaching.

scholar wrote:
You have to consider the economy in China. It's different from Western countries. A salary of 4,000 is actually very good for a Chinese. Professors and so on usually make no more than 3,000, and average works, less than 2,000. With housing provided, 4,000 is not bad at all and allows for traveling, saving etc.

Who works for 4,000 Rmb?
Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Any of the following: Newbies to China, people with 0 experience, people with no qualifications, people who aren't strapped for cash, those who are not native speakers of English, and people who are in it for the short term. Many people here start out with jobs that pay 4000 or thereabouts. Of course there are other considerations.

Hmmmm OP is a newbie to teaching in Asia - but has qualifications - but may be in it for the short term - or the long term - who knows - maybe she won't make it to Asia at all...

The point is that teachers in China DO make / get paid significantly less money on average than teachers in Taiwan for not much less work.

And here it is:

JZer wrote:
Actually, I am just trying to determine whether someone can earn as much in China as Taiwan working the same hours.

My original argument was that teachers in China made about half the Taiwanese salary for just a little less work - you are already twisting the facts to try to suit your argument

JZer wrote:
I am talking about someone with a B.A. or B.S.... what about teachers with B.Ed degrees working in Government high schools?...and a passport from one of the big 5 countries ... why does that matter?

Certified teachers are excluded... Why? I didn't exclude them in my original statement? .. However I would think that a certified teacher could earn more in China than Taiwan.

JZ'er - typical - when you realize you are wrong you manipulate the details to gain agreement with your argument. I stand behind my original statement and must admit that it was a great idea for you to start a thread that proves my point.

It must suck to continually think you are right and continually get proved wrong.

Buh Bye now...

Laughing

Last edited by yamahuh on Fri May 25, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I thought that was all you had to say on the matter. Of course I know you can't keep quiet.

Last edited by JZer on Fri May 25, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, I am just trying to determine whether someone can earn as much in China as Taiwan working the same hours.

My original argument was that teachers in China made less than half the Taiwanese salary for almost the same hours - you are already twisting the facts to try to suit your argument

The facts are simple. The average job in Taiwan pays around 8,500 RMB (40,000NT) for 15 hours a week. We are not talking about having several jobs in Taiwan to make 60,000NT. That can be done in China as well.

And you don't get housing. So you are left with 34,000NT.

7,200RMB in Taiwan versus your figure of 5,600 RMB. Even if I accept your figure wages in China are 78% of those in Taiwan, not 50%.

Add the flight money in $1000 US (6341RMB or 525 RMB a month). That would be 6,125RMB a month versus 7,200. That means even if the average job is as low as you say, someone would earn 85% of what they earn in Taiwan not 50%.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
JZer wrote:
I am talking about someone with a B.A. or B.S.... what about teachers with B.Ed degrees working in Government high schools?...and a passport from one of the big 5 countries ... why does that matter?

The OP has a degree and is from a country in which English is the native language. Plus the jobs in Taiwan usually require one to have a degree and a passport from Canada, the U.S., England, Ireland, England, South Africa, Australia, or New Zealand.

Last edited by JZer on Fri May 25, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:

I thought that was all you had to say on the matter. Of course I know you can't keep quite.

Keep quite ?
Quite what?

You're so predictable - from your declarations that everyone is working for too little money, to your poor spelling, to your grasping on to straws after your argument has been proved completely without merit (again).

Seriously? How many times does this have to happen before you realize that the world according to JZ'er is nothing more than one man's desire to prove his opinions right - and convince everyone else of their veracity - in the face of overwhelming factual opposition

Last edited by yamahuh on Fri May 25, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:

The facts are simple. The average job in Taiwan pays around 8,500 RMB (40,000NT) for 15 hours a week. We are not talking about having several jobs in Taiwan to make 60,000NT. That can be done in China as well.

And you don't get housing. So you are left with 34,000NT.

7,200RMB in Taiwan versus your figure of 5,600 RMB. Even if I accept your figure wages in China are 78% of those in Taiwan, not 50%.

Add the flight money in $1000 US (6341RMB or 525 RMB a month). That would be 6,125RMB a month versus 7,200. That means even if the average job is as low as you say, someone would earn 85% of what they earn in Taiwan not 50%.

Obviously you do not understand simple English - I believe I have made my point quite clearly - I am talking about earnings / wages / salary not earnings / wages / salary plus reimbursements / bonuses / tax refunds / housing allowances / money you find down the back of the couch. You chose to argue the point but maybe you should go back and read my original statement - I'm sure you will find it quite clear unless your grasp of English is below average.

And BTW - I earn over $80K for about 110 hours a month, NOBODY I know in Taiwan who teaches English makes less than $55,000 and none of them work multiple jobs to earn that much. No B.Eds - No Masters - No PhDs -

Imagine that...

Wrong again...

Last edited by yamahuh on Fri May 25, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: