Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working for the British Council
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gummy Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC is a good gig in Beijing where two of my good friends work. They are IELTS examiners. They make good money and have nice benefits. The office is convenient too - about 500 meters from Liangmaqiao subway station.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maenad1 wrote:
They'll also support you if you have problematic students. So long as they believe that you are doing a good job in the classroom, they'll support you and help you. They don't really care too much about the methodology you use, so long as EITHER the students are happy with it OR you are doing the kind of lessons that would pass a DELTA.

As an ex-BC teacher of some experience, this is the only comment I would question from what is overall an excellent summary of the BC.

It depends on the centre - in one centre I felt your above statement to be true, but not by any means in another I worked at.

I would say that like most international EFL organisations, standards and practises vary from place to place, the BC is certainly no exception. I wonder if the smaller centres are better to work in overall. And they tend to be in not the most desired of locations.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked for the BC for a couple of years now and it's been excellent.

I don't understand the reputation for lots of paperwork. The only paperwork I've had to do is for observations and end of year reports. I've had to do that in previous non-BC jobs too.

It's a good place to work. In my centre we are paid well, we get good holidays, good facilities, loads of training and development stuff. It's a good place to work.

I wish I'd come to work for them a couple of years earlier, to be honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: