Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesia for single women?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longtimer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Indonesia for single women? Reply with quote

I'm currently working for Wall Street in China, but thinking about transferring to WSI in Indonesia. I've never been to Indonesia before and was wondering what to expect as a single woman. Easy to find simple housing & transport close to the centres (in Jakarta)? Easy to wire money home? Safe, especially knocking off at late hours?

I enjoy working for Wall Street, just a couple of their practices here in China I don't really like & I know from others WSI operates a little differently to WSE.

Thanks!
godmachine12

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relatively simple to find housing. If you're with Wall Street, they might provide housing for you but I can't confirm that. If not, they should at least assist you with finding and arranging a place to stay. Dead easy to wire money home and very cheap. I used BCA during my stay but I'm sure the other major banks are the same. I didn't live in Jakarta but the times I did visit, I didn't feel any less safe than any other major city. Just exercise caution, don't do anything stupid and you should be fine.

For what it's worth, when I lived in South Sumatra, almost all of the women that came didn't have a favorable experience. I'm sure Jakarta would be much different since there is so much more to do and that is available to you. Also, make sure your degree lines up with their requirements. They are following the new regulations rather strictly. I had no luck with them I can tell you that. Best of luck with your decision!
Durian Tango

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Longtimer,

I'm also a bit of a longtimer in Jakarta and I know of very few incidents that women had, single or otherwise. Jakarta is a surprisingly safe city (for both sexes) and I think you would be pleasantly surprised. If you are focusing on WSI in particular, you could try asking to be put in touch with some of their female teachers to get a first hand experience from them.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakarta is pretty safe as a rule.
Just don't use the cheap taxis or do other obviously dangerous stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: