Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Speaking Doctors/Hospitals Moscow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacher X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: English Speaking Doctors/Hospitals Moscow Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with English speaking medical facilities in Moscow?

I was expecting some stomach trouble when I arrived (as I experienced in China) as my gut got used to the weird and wonderful bacteria of Moscow. I was expecting a few weeks worth of dodgy stomach problems before it sorted itself out.
Unfortunately, I've been here 6 or 7 weeks and it appears to be getting worse, to the extent that I have lost considerable weight (About 10kg)

So while I would still like to try and wait it out and hope that the problem sorts itself out, I may need to visit a doctor as endless nausea is getting to be distracting.

So does anyone know of a good place to go and what kind of costs I am looking at? My insurance doesn't cover out-patient, so I will likely have to pay for treatment.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this from others who've come here. And they drink water, and then more and more water to try and flush out the germs. Tap water. If you're drinking tap water stop right now. And check the water supply at your school. Often it looks like water delivered from a legitimate company (for the water coolers/dispensers), but in fact some schools don't want to pay for that and just fill it up with tap water. This might be the cause of your problem. Good luck and get well soon.
PS. If you really want a doctor, I've used the European Medical Centre (expensive but English speaking). Or there's also the American Medical Centre.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go to a less expensive doctor with an interpreter in tow?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher X, drink only the GOOD water!
Somewhat seriously, vodka is a very useful system-cleaner, in judicious doses.

Hope you'll soon be 100%, and good luck with the doctors.
teacher X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
As Grenouille mentioned, I did check out European Medical Centre's website and I'd be looking at around 2500 for a consultation.

I started brushing my teeth using bottled water yesterday, so I have completely removed tap water from my system.

I'm also going on a bit of a BRAT diet, which is always good for digestive tracts. I'm going to try things the natural way, then maybe hit up the Apteka before finally going to see a doctor.

I do also have a bottle of Russian Standard in the freezer and a 1pm start tomorrow. I might see how that goes. Ahaha. If in doubt, drink it out.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you eat a lot of yoghurt or dairy products then cut them out for a while and see if there's any difference in the situation. My husband had the same problems as you for the first few months he was here, and he's fine now (he didn't see a doctor). Let us know how you get on.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing. Don't buy the really cheap bottled water, it's not real mineral water (probably just tap water). Buy the 'brands', eg. Bon Aqua, so you at least know it's not from the tap (well, we hope so anyway).

Let us know how you get on.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, bon aqua is from GOOD taps. Not quite so good as Perrier taps, but still quite decent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: