Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fat Women and Hiring Decisions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haruka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Fat Women and Hiring Decisions Reply with quote

Okay, I tried searching to see if anyone had posted this kind of question already, but didn't find anything. I am in process of trying to get a teaching job in Japan (of course) and have had a nagging question pinging around in my brain for a while. Does being fat hinder your chances of being hired?

As you have probably guessed, I'm fat. According to my August physical, I am healthy, though, and I have prior teaching experience and a Preliminary Teaching Credential. So, as a fat job-seeker, am I wasting my time?
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm plus size, too, and I've gotten to the seminar stage of Interac. What's more, the guy doing the demo lessons in Interac's videos is on the hefty side, as well. :3 I think we're ok, but this is my first try.
funkyging

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm classed as overweight and im working in a JHS. on problems during interview, same as the guy before me, my boss is on the hefty side aswell
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face it. Compared to most Japanese, many/most of us foreigners are huge. It's all relative.

Without knowing your true size (and no, I'm NOT asking you to divulge), it's a little hard to make judgments here. I'd say many/most employers judge us on the basis of credentials and chemistry/personality. I know quite a few large women who have been here a while and were not small when they arrived. Key words are "a while", as in 10-20 years.

Put on a smile and charm them.
Haruka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Thanks, everybody! I was just curious. I hadn't seen anything online that said fat people would have a hard time getting hired and figured if it were a problem, someone would have complained about it.
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's something they aren't going to tell you if you don't get the job.

The only thing I'd suggest is that if you want to work with kids, especially young kids, you give the impression that you have loads of energy and you are flexible enough (physically) get down on the floor and play games with them.
southofreality

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have seen plenty of big boys and girls teaching as ALTs and in eikaiwas... Energy and a positive attitude are two most important factors.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZennoSaji wrote:
I'm plus size, too, and I've gotten to the seminar stage of Interac. What's more, the guy doing the demo lessons in Interac's videos is on the hefty side, as well. :3 I think we're ok, but this is my first try.

Do you think that they see overweight women and men differently in Japan? Do they cut fat guys slack, but not at all for women?

Just wondering.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met a few big women working in the eikaiwa / ALT industry, including some in senior positions. I've never been close to any of them but, FWIW, I've never heard them complain about their size affecting their career.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed gender being a factor. I haven't seen any obvious size discrimination of either men or women, and have seen numerous larger teachers of both sexes. No doubt it happens on occasion, but as far as I can see it's mostly a non issue. As was said previously, energy and enthusiasm appear to be more important.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Do you think that they see overweight women and men differently in Japan? Do they cut fat guys slack, but not at all for women?

Just wondering.
In my experience, the answer to both questions is no.
rxk22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
rxk22 wrote:

Just wondering.
In my experience, the answer to both questions is no.

Ok, just wondering. As in society in general, fat guys seem to get more slack for being fat, than women. It's just how it is
jmatt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fine---as long as you're OK with the occasional student or co-worker saying something along the lines of "my, you are very fat!" Not in a mean way, but more as a statement of fact.

Now, I'm no beanpole, and in the US I wouldn't be described as fat, but this was said to me a number of times in Japan. At one point, I was running 6 miles every day before work and in pretty decent shape, and when I was discussing it with a student he said, "oh, but you still are very fat." Just said "well, that's because I eat and drink so much.'

So, just roll with it!
Haruka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to people commenting on my weight. ^,^ It doesn't bother me anymore. I got used to being stared at as an oddity during my last trip to Japan a few years ago. It's good advice, though!
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmatt wrote:
"oh, but you still are very fat."

"Because all you Japanese are so starchy. *Joker smile*"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: