Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are ESL jobs in the US?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Where are ESL jobs in the US? Reply with quote

I have a BA in art, an MLS in library administration, and a Tennessee teachers license with an endorsement in ESL k-12. I have seven years of experiance in public schools as an ESL teacher. The problem is that the Tennessee school system has become problematic. No more tenure soon. Unions- forget about it.
Where are there a strong demands for ESL teachers in the US? It may sound like a dumb question but I have to do some research.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
chinagirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: K-12 ESL jobs Reply with quote

New York State, North Carolina, Virginia - check what states your license is reciprocal with. Those are three states I found lots of interviews in when I was looking for a job several years ago, likely the Northeast and East coast in general will likely offer better opportunities. You may also want to check Washington State. Look for medium sized cities, as many immigrants and refugees settle where the housing is less expensive. You might be surprised to see how many ESL teachers work in places like Minnesota and Nebraska! Good luck!
fmlaugust

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas has several opening especially HISD in Houston. They are needing teaching with ESL certification.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy finding a needle in a haystack or if you really enjoy going on a wild goose chase to get a job then look for an EFL teaching job in North America. Good luck in your search! Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
If you enjoy finding a needle in a haystack or if you really enjoy going on a wild goose chase to get a job then look for an EFL teaching job in North America. Shocked

Not so. Ads for U.S. ESL jobs can be found on TESOL.org, chronicle.com, and usajobs.gov. Also, do an Internet search on whatever state you want to teach in using the following criteria: (state name) esl jobs.

Frankly, the OP may find more and better-paying opportunities with his/her MLS.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
If you enjoy finding a needle in a haystack or if you really enjoy going on a wild goose chase to get a job then look for an EFL teaching job in North America. Good luck in your search! Shocked

With a vanilla degree and CELTA, sure, but the OP is a licensed teacher for K-12 ESL and has an MLS, that is sufficient to find work somewhere in those 50 states!

But I agree you'd be on a goose chase looking for an EFL position there Laughing
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All quiet in the North American EFL job front....a dead silence speaks mouths of words...we have a better chance of winning the lottery! Wink
lamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: ESLing in the USA Reply with quote

Currently, I'm teaching with inlingua (yes, lower-case) in Costa Rica, but I taught ESL in the USA several times, and the jobs weren't extremely difficult to obtain. Granted, three of them were in California, and it was before the economy tanked, but, OP, try this:

Find out what ESL institutions are on your local university/college campuses and/or connected with your local school districts. I taught my first ESL class (TOEFL prep) as an undergrad in a Louisiana university. In California, I taught for years with American Language Institute on the campus of CSULB, and for a few years with Santa Ana College's ESL division. My ESL teaching gigs with Long Beach Unified School District led to other teaching positions with the district over the years. I actually draw a dribble of retirement from them.

My educational background? I have a BA in English (not Ed.), and am a thesis short of a Masters (in theatre-speech). Quirkily, I had to get a weekend TEFL certificate (Bridge-Linguatec in Denver) to pursue teaching for cacahuates in CR.

So, I'd say start there. Keep in mind that I got into the groove before online search engines were commonplace. In fact, my very first email address was obtained through the Santa Ana College ESL program.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there were many positions in ESL available throughout North America in 80's and even as late as the 90's....but things have changed a lot since then.....simply put TEFL is not a career option anymore especially in the US. One is likely to make more money working at Mac Donalds flipping burgers for a living or working as a janitor! Shocked
newdayrising

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about public schools...But I do know that in the Boston area it is certainly possible to find $20/hr Craigslist jobs with a CELTA and a little bit of experience. I have a feeling these jobs were easier to get before the recession. It took me like 6 months of underemployment and tutoring/subbing gigs before I found something sort of regular and full-time. These days there are a lot of applicants with overseas experience and masters degrees you have to compete against. But there are tons of schools in Boston and turnover is always brisk in our industry.
denise

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are full-time (with benefits) university jobs in Oregon for appropriately qualified candidates--MA plus relevant experience.

d
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denise wrote:
There are full-time (with benefits) university jobs in Oregon for appropriately qualified candidates--MA plus relevant experience.

d

Denise,

I'm interested. Do you have a link to these job postings or can you tell me which schools to look at? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: