Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nichii Gakkan experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Nichii Gakkan experience? Reply with quote

Is there anybody out there who's had experience working for Nichii Gakkan? The job listings I've seen for this company didn't properly specify what kind of job it is. ALT or Eikaiwa? How is the company to work for? Any info would be great, thanks.
Kionon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichii Gakken purchased GABA in 2011. Although GABA still operates much the same as it did, Nichii Gakken already had some English related holdings. They primarily work in the medical field, and I believe that they branched out into English originally to provide English instructors to medical personnel. My conjecture is that the positions popping up are going to be Eikaiwa like positions for teaching medical professionals.
BigInJapan

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I apologise for the late reply but it took me a while to sign up just for this post haha. Therefore, I hope I can be useful.

I am currently working for CoCo juku which is Nichii Gakkan's own schools which are separate to Gaba which they did buy.
The whole department for this is new in every sense of the word so there are some hang ups but I do believe the situation is improving from when we first started in terms of HQ - School relations.
It is a Japanese company and therefore many aspects of it are quite traditional in terms of doing paper work but for the instructors this is not an every day thing.
The people currently being hired right now are all main instructors and should be full time but I do believe there have been some exceptions. In terms of payment etc, I would not be willing to go into that on here since every instructor has the same contract and I would be giving out information that is private to them and may affect the company in a negative way.

Hopefully I have shed a little light for you and have been of some use. I am not sure what I can answer well but please feel free to ask me any other questions and I can try to help with that.
Ravlen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is old, but I would appreciate any information about this chain. How do the schools work? What is it like working there? What does a teacher do on a normal day? What kind of students/classes/responsibilities could a new teacher expect?

Ravlen
BigInJapan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a normal day you are expected to take classes, do the reports and attendance after the class as well as homework and occasionally trial lessons for potential students. The pace is fairly relaxed but certain days can get busy. To be fair, the experience of working here depends on who you will be working with. Some teachers let everyone down, such as not coming in but not calling either and some counselors have been difficult to work with but overall I think it's a now place to work. The types of classes covered are business, general an medical English. The latter is a challenge if you don't have a medic background, which I dont but it isn't impossible to do if you make the effort. Hopefully that's useful. Sorry for late reply
Ravlen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigInJapan wrote:
On a normal day you are expected to take classes, do the reports and attendance after the class as well as homework and occasionally trial lessons for potential students. The pace is fairly relaxed but certain days can get busy. To be fair, the experience of working here depends on who you will be working with. Some teachers let everyone down, such as not coming in but not calling either and some counselors have been difficult to work with but overall I think it's a now place to work. The types of classes covered are business, general an medical English. The latter is a challenge if you don't have a medic background, which I dont but it isn't impossible to do if you make the effort. Hopefully that's useful. Sorry for late reply

No need to apologize! Apparently you are the only one on the internet that works for Coco Juku and is willing to talk about it online Wink

I'm already in Japan, but the business at my current school is dwindling, while my family is growing. I love my school, but I may need to move to a place with more stability and benefits. If things aren't working out for me at Coco Juku though, I likely can't go back to my old job. Thus, I'm going to ask a lot of questions Smile

It sounds like you don't teach kids, or is that included in "general" English? If kids are included, what's the ratio of kids to adults?

What are the schedules like? They said earliest is 7am, latest is 10pm, but what are the common shifts? Do they have split shifts (work early, then have an unpaid extended break, then work till evening)? Can you request certain shifts? What's the minimum time between classes?

What is the day off situation like (same days off all year, or variable, etc...). Can you request certain days off? What's the vacation schedule like, and do you get any floating holidays that you can use whenever you want?

Is working for a second company explicitly forbidden by company policy (I might try to stay on with my old boss, just to help out until he finds a replacement).

They say "incentives offered"... what do they mean by that? Are any other positive things offered, like japanese classes or something?

ANY other information you can think of, like pros and cons to take into consideration, would be greatly appreciated!

Ravlen
BigInJapan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions. Because of the parent company, Nichii there is a higher amount of job security compared to other English schools. I would say be prepared to teach kids. Some schools have zero children because of the area but others may have more. The majority of students are adults though. The opening time of most schools is 7am to 10pm but the main shifts are 9am to or 1230pm to 930pm. Some may vary but it's never a split shift. Holidays are 10 days after 6 months working. You can take them whenever within reason. Like booking them in advance. You can ask for certain shifts but in the end demand sets the shifts. Some teachers have refused to do anything than say 9-6pm but I don't know how well that goes down with the company.
Working for a second company is forbidden, especially one thought of as a rival but I think the majority of teachers break that rule with either a second job or private classes. I'd say, don't ask don't tell. I had a similal situation with my last job so when they were really stuck I'd go back to help them with a shift on my day off.
Th only incentitbe I can think of is a 1000yen bonus for signing a student. They aren't keen for people to do over time much either so if you need more than the offered salary I'd recommend having something on the side.
Ravlen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are classes, what are the max class sizes, and how much time do they give for prep before the next class?

What's the yearly vacation schedule like? How long are the Christmas/Golden Week/Summer vacations?

What's dealing with staff like? Are there any native staff in the personnel department that you can contact if you are having problems at your school?

Ravlen
budgie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to be all secret squirrel about the salary. It's posted on their Gaijinpot ads:

250k a month with pension and shakai hokken. Internal Union membership is also compulsory IIRC which could be a good thing (organized by Nichi Gakken's Japanese staff over the years) or just a way to control you (run by the management). They teach their own 'method' - probably similar to the junk-English taught at Berlitz, EC, NOVA etc.

Now ten or 15 years ago 250k was 'entry level' pay and conditions for eikaiwa. These days with 60% of teachers working part time, a lot getting as little as 180k a month with no benefits and even experienced teachers in Tokyo plugging some gigs for under 2000 a lesson, I'd grab CoCo by both horns if they're willing to take inexperienced teachers and pay them that much.

I know guys here - a lot of guys working 9-9, 2-3 jobs and privates, six days a week to make ends meet. A full time starting position is gold in this industry.

Who cares if they go under in 5 years? At least you can milk the cow while it's standing.
Tom567

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: About Coco Juku Reply with quote

Is Coco Juku hiring? How long does the hiring process take and what are they looking for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: