Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Ecuador
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to volunteer, yes, you should expect an outlay of about $5k for a year. I have experience in Peru and Colombia and mundoanuncio.com is a good place to look for accomadation, also expatperu.

I don't think it's possible at all to become 'fluent' in another language, unless you were brought up in a multi-ligual household. 'Conversational' should be the realistic goal.
MNguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

accomodation
Andrew Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry double post

Last edited by Andrew Jordan on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent a couple years in Ecuador and, why have you chosen that country. I found it to be at the bottom of the list of countries I would return to in south America (it use to be better). It is dangerous, the people are mostly friendly but resentment against Americans is prevalent. (you have enough money for the plane ticket here, why don't you do something to help us) It seems to me to be getting worse, it use to be my favorite country (almost a decade ago) now I am not sure if I ever will return.

In Ecuador (or another country) you should think about smaller cities, they provide less distraction of other expats if your goal is to learn English and more need to help. Cities like Esmareldes, Ambato, Riobamba are good places. Cuenca although smaller has far more expats.

These organization you find are not really scams, but they do use the fee's charged to expats as a principle source of income. Most of them will do work with the money you give them but understand you are supporting them, not just paying a fair rate for what they provide.

I would recommend just coming, it doesn't sound like you are hard up for money (and a little goes a long way in SA). Get a cheap hostel for awhile, visit other cities, get your bearings and check out the opportunities. There will be something if you look enough. If you don't like what you see, take a bus to the next country.

Another option is high school exchange companies often have volunteer exchange program. they are expensive (i believe Ecuador is 2-3 thousand range) they will provide a host family and support and job placement. This is how I first came to SA and it started at long process of me teaching English all over the world because the first trip was so good. I went with AFS. and have worked for them in multiple countries, it may not be teaching English but they will give you meaningful work.

Another option to consider is finding a ESL job, often they require you to take a course first and then offer a job. this is a way to get into the market. You won't save much money, but you can have a good lifestyle, better than I was accustomed to back home.

I can give you specific information if you want about hostels, cities whatever in Ecuador or Peru. PM me if you want.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived and worked in Ecuador for many years. I have never experienced any anti-American sentiment at all. To the contrary, I have had people go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. It can be dangerous here though, and you must be careful. I have lived in Mexico, Peru, Brazil, and Honduras, and have loved them all, but Ecuador more than any.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ecuador is by far my favourite Latin American country. Yes there's a serious crime problem, but for the most part it's non-violent, pick pocketing, bag slashing, etc. It has one of the lowest homicide rates in Latin America.

I also never witnessed any overt anti-American sentiment there, at least not when compared to many Central American countries. However, I am British, so perhaps it was simply never directed at me, or perhaps it's just more subtle in Ecuador.

Still, each to their own. If we all loved the same countries, it would be a very boring world.
mfinna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Volunteer in Ecuador room and board free but.... Reply with quote

Hello,

This thread seems to have taken a turn, but I couldn't help but share some info about an organization called Willing Workers on Organic Farms. There are many opportunities with room and board provided in exchange for your work on their farm. Tasks run the gamut. Your only real financial responsibility with most of these farms is your travel arrangements.

http://wwoof.org/

http://www.wwooflatinamerica.com/page/ecuador-preview

The only thing you pay for is the contact information for the list of farms initially.

I did this in Ghana and in fact paid $25/week for room and board at the farm. Some countries seem to have nominal fees, often in exchange for less work(India), but there are plenty that are completely free of any charges. The couple farms I just previewed for Ecuador did not appear to have any fees, but....you have to work on a farm, maybe not for everyone.

Just FYI
ForProgress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, sorry for the late reply.

I ended up moving to another major US city, finding a job, and working for a bit. Now I'm revisiting my plan to go to Ecuador again.

So to re-spark the conversation. I re-read all the posts. The idea of working in a city that isn't very big sounds like a good idea.

Any favorites, or suggestions?
kona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some people a while back on the Chile forum that say you can get jobs there in small-ish cities. I think Valparaiso/Vina del Mar, Serena, Concepcion, Antofagasta, etc. (Sorry for the lack of Spanish diacritics everyone). Take a look around there for names.

Failing that, maybe the coast of Ecuador?
ForProgress

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona, I'll check out those cities.

Quito, Ecuador is the place that really catches my eye right now.

I'm hearing Guatemala is really inexpensive to live at too. Any idea how the job market for Teaching ESL is out there?
kona

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Guatemala, do a search of "Xela" or "Quetzaltenango" here on dave's (two names for the same city). Supposedly their are some jobs there, and it's ridiculously cheap. Also, you can try and look up lonely planet and wikitravel.org for more information about it.

Tons of jobs in Quito, although you might have trouble with a work visa. Might need to leave the country every 90 or 180 days or something. There are threads on here about it.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ecuador you would most likely be looking at one of the big schools that offers cultural exchange visas. Under the current visa rules it's very unlikely that you will find an employer willing and/or able to get you a work visa to teach English.

Visa runs (leaving the country and returning every few months) have not been possible in Ecuador for a few years. You can only get one regular 3 month tourist visa in a 12 month period. However, at the moment there are no fines if you overstay a visa. This could change at any time, and even though there is no fine, if you overstay you are still illegal and if the police check your papers (which does happen) you will likely be arrested or have to bribe your way out of it. Working on a tourist visa is also illegal, and puts you in a very vulnerable position if your employer screws you over (which also happens).
reddevil79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a few years back an Ecuadorian university would advertise once or twice a year for professors: La Universidad Tecnica Particular de Loja, though they don't seem to advertise anymore.

I made contact with them in 2008 and the lady in charge of the language institute seemed friendly, professional and very helpful, it seemed like a nice place to work with an okish salary, maybe possibilities there.
Horizon1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this thread, each post at least twice.

Just looking for some current info and feeback for April, 2013.

I am native English speaker born in the USA.

Probably Intermediate Spanish language level.
11+ years EFL experience

TOEFL pbt, iBT, IELTS, kids, teens, adult GE, corporates.

BA from US Uni
Started MA
Two TEFL certificates

References

** Reason for wanting to come to Ecuador?

To do something new and learn about a culture after many many years in the grind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: