Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Sharjah?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Preferred city in UAE
Abu Dhabi
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
Dubai
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Sharjah
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Tom Le Seelleur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have worked and lived in all three Emirates so please don't listen to posts that put down Sharjah on the basis of preconceived prejidice. If you want a job, save money and have a reasonable life where you can enjoy the UAE - Ajman, RAK and do some sport etc.. then Sharjah is ideal. You can find a good villa with a swimming pool (if you want) for around 100,000 or much less without (70,000) or an apartment 50,000. There is a decent club here called the Wanderers. If you work and live in Sharjah traffic is less of a problem.

Dubai is pretentious but a lot of fun (you could commute from either Sharjah or Abu Dhabi) but it is expensive and yet there is more to do in terms of clubs, shopping and the beach. Smallish apartments cost around 70,000 and villas nearly double that.

Abu Dhabi used to be hassle free and yet its transport network (buses) is improving as is shopping but life is really expensive in terms of housing so would not recommend if you get cash for your housing.

It depends on what are your priorities and how long you intend to stay.
Regards
Tom
pret a porter

Location: Somewhere on the globe, in front of a computer screen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's a draw between AD and Dubai.

I'd avoid Sharjah like the plague. I enjoy having SOME freedoms, and I'm guaranteed them in Dubai or Abu Dhabi. Not in Sharjah.

Dubai is fun, but as many on Dave's have pointed out, it's like a Disneyfied version of Arabia. Although it beats just about everywhere else on the Arabian peninsula for the amenities.

Abu Dhabi has nearly the same amenities Dubai has, but it's much more quiet. More family oriented, for certain. Also, it's not as spawled out as Dubai.

In all, I'd say avoid Sharjah. Head to Dubai if you're part of the younger crowd, and AD if you're in the more mature one.
Gerund

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on you. If you have a family and hate traffic, then Abu Dhabi. If you are single and crave nightlife and bars full of prostitutes, then Dubai. Sharjah is right next to Dubai, so even if you live in Sharjah, you can still enjoy what Dubai has to offer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: