Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADVETI contracts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
issi14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: ADVETI contracts Reply with quote

In Chicago, I got a contract from ADVETI. Am I the only one who noticed that the sttlement allowance is missing from it? And the hotel accomodation in the 1st few days? Is that normal?
iggyb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about the resettlement allowance I'd read about here - to help furnish an apartment.

I took what they gave us as an initial offer with the official contract soon to follow.

In the interview, they asked if I had a preference out of three places they named - none of which I had a clue about and said I'd need to do some checking - but the initial offer they gave us doesn't mention locations.

Did they give you a business card or means to contact them to let them know you accepted or declined the offer?

I didn't think to ask for a card and they didn't give me one. They said I could contact them or my recruiter. I scanned the form and sent it to the recruiter, faxed it to the ADVETI number in Abu Dhabi listed on the form, and DHLed it to the address on it.

I'd like to have their email so I could get in touch with an expat already working there. I'm curious about the dress code and whether to buy some stuff here before heading over...

If they did give you a contact email, would you mind PMing me?
issi14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: contract Reply with quote

They didn't give me a contact number or business card; I don't think it's their style because they want you to contact your agency, which I have. I should get a reply soon from them. You have to scan the copy of the offer to them and they will give it to ADVETI directly. Maybe you're right about the "initial" contract, maybe there's another one to follow. At least they gave you 3 options; I had to mention my 1st 2 choice and still didn't get them. However, they gave me Sharjah because it was closer to Dubai which is where I want to be.
iggyb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to mention my 1st 2 choice and still didn't get them

So, they told you where you would be placed? They just named 3 schools to me - then I said I would need to gather some information to make a choice - and they nodded in agreement then mentioned something about 2 of them - as if 1 had suddenly been taken off the table....

..My take on that was that - upon seeing I had no preference because I had no clue - he had in mind 2 places for me.....

Anyway, I talked to my recruiter who said they (ADVETI) should email me today/soon.

Most of my interview involved answering questions as they judged if I were worth hiring or not. Once they told me I had passed this stage, they wanted to move along quickly because they had other interviews stacked up.

I didn't really get a chance to ask questions and the mention of 3 choices of schools was quick and in passing. I expected there would be something on the form with a checklist to indicate a preference, but I was wrong.

The paper they gave us says "To move forward with the official offer we need the following: - your initial agreement to the compensation and benefits package" ---- So, that wasn't the official offer and our signing it was just an initial agreement....at least that's how I read it.

Just below that, it says: "It is a legal requirement that no formal offer of employment is sent until the pre-employment formalities of the Immigration and Naturalization Department are secured."

So, I am taking it this was a preliminary step to give us the basics of the package and get an initial committment from us. --- with a formal contract stipulating everything to come soon after we send the initial form in.

Having been through Korea, I've seen job offers disappear overnight with no clue as to why. So, this is part of the job hunting process where I tend to get impatient: You're right at the finish line, and it feels like you can cut back on chasing other jobs, but you can never be sure it won't fall through...

If classes start in early September, they'll have to be moving quickly right now. So, the wait shouldn't be long....at least I'm hoping....

On locations, my only preference is the closer to the ocean, the better.

I haven't done research to know which school or city I'd like better, and I look at the initial year in country as getting my foot in the door -- a learning experience.

I do wish I would get the formal contact with them soon....Waiting by the phone (or for email) is trying at this point.
issi14

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: contract Reply with quote

they told me it would take 2-3 weeks and only because I asked. they told me I would be placed in Sharjah because I really wanted Dubai. I have a feeling it might take a bit longer than the 2-3 weeks even though the semester starts september 5th. I guess we'll have to wait and see . . .
Captain Willard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iggyb wrote:
If classes start in early September, they'll have to be moving quickly right now. So, the wait shouldn't be long....at least I'm hoping....

Arabia is not Korea. Arabs do not move quickly.

Everything in Arabia is "Inshallah".

You will here that phrase frequently if you come.
iggyb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea works in spurts. It seems rushed because they do everything at the last minute.
iggyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another person at my recruiting firm emailed asking for a copy of my TESOL certificate for the security clearance --- and started by congradulating me for being accepted by Al Rowdah Academy - which is the first time they mentioned that name. Before, it was just ADVETI.

Found this page: http://www.kic.org.uk/pathways/what-we-do/our-colleges/al-rowdah-academy

At the bottom, it lists schools - some IAT, some ADVETI, some in bold meaning they are under Al Rowdah Academy - apparently...And the website is for Kaplan...

It is starting to sound loosely like one of the hakwon chains in Korea - a franchise organization.

With those, everything depends on which branch you are working at and what caliber of manager is heading that branch. One or two of the big chains in Korea has a general bad reputation due to the salary package. The others just depend on the individual owner/managers.

--sigh-- At this point, it doesn't really matter. I'm taking the plunge no matter what, because I don't want to wait around for another solid offer. I need to get my foot in the door.

I would like to find out what specific location I'm going to and the contact information for a current teacher at the place. I have some questions that will help me prepare for leaving.

But my enthusiasm has waned some the more I've looked around.

But, then again, I did do 4 years in hakwons in Korea. I made that work for me. I didn't stay on because I was "trapped." I found ways to make it worthwhile.

Even if this new job turns out to be less than stellar, I'll be making much more money than I ever did in Korea....

And as I think about it, the reason I don't want to go back to Korea (or China or Japan) is a desire to experience and learn about something new...Something more of an adventure....So I shouldn't mind taking a plunge...

Lastly, I wish my certification in ESL to teach in public schools in the US didn't keep getting confused with the TESOL online certificates.
iggyb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been almost 2 weeks since signing the initial contract and I haven't heard much from my recruiter and nothing from the ADVETI...

This is the worst part of the recruitment process for me. The period between accepting a job and waiting for the visa.
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an FYI - You won't get your residency visa until you get to UAE and pass the medical and police/fingerprinting checks. Only takes a few weeks (or even days if your HR Dept has a competent "fixer"). You will get a permit to enter the country and start work pending approval of the RP and Labour card.
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contract I just got says the institute will put me up in a hotel for 5 days during which I will find housing.

Does that mean I'll be expected to start working before the visa comes through? That is a red flag in Korea....(I know this is not Korea, but that is what I'm familiar with overseas.)

Or do jobs usually wait a few weeks, and put an employee up somewhere, until the visa clears?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not like Korea and not an issue. Normally you are on the clock once you arrive... and start work when classes start. They get the visa... when they can... I wouldn't worry about it until... um... shouldn't be more than a week or two or three.

VS
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much.
diodeone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Willard wrote:
iggyb wrote:

Arabia is not Korea. Arabs do not move quickly.

Everything in Arabia is "Inshallah".

You will here that phrase frequently if you come.

This was the program that Teachaway was running so it probably moved quicker than most for that reason.
turns28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: ADVETI Contract Reply with quote

Anyone else still waiting to get out to Abu Dhabi?

I was offered a job with Al Rowdah Academy for early Sept' - issued contract said Oct 1st starting date, still waiting for e-ticket and entry permit though. Anyone else in the same boat? Or anyone out there who could offer any advice/timeframes etc...

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: