Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schols in Western Siberia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apps

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Schols in Western Siberia? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of schools in Barnaul or Biysk?
teacherus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try Novosibirsk? It's bigger, there's more to do there and definitely more schools there than in Barnaul or Biysk.
macedonianmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with teacherus. I've been to both Barnaul and Biysk and would not recommend living there. Novosibirsk is the place to live in that area and Altai is the place to visit.
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Altai.... Reply with quote

Not cheap to get to but worth every penny!Barnaul and Biisk are not exactly ideal places to live and work though,unless you perhaps are thinking to start your own school there?
By the way,have you read 'Entering the Circle' by Olga Karitidi??
mdk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomsk is 150 miles north of Novosibirsk and has 6 universities if you count the architechtural school and the med school. It has 500,000 people or so.

Novosibirsk has 1.5 million people and a subway but it does not have as many universities as far as I know. Or at least they are not as concentrated as in Tomsk. I did not see as many Czarist era buildings in Novosibirsk as I did in Tomsk.

You can find fairly good descriptions of Tomsk in Lonely Planet's book on the trans-Siberian.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Give me Tomsk anyday! Reply with quote

Novosibirsk,as the name suggests is a relatively new city which was mostly built as an industrial centre during the Soviet era.Consequently much of it is not attractive or particularly interesting,especially to live in.
However,you can soon get into the 'taiga' outside the city and visit places like Akademgorodok etc.
But as a more historical and smaller,more hospitable and friendly place,Tomsk beats it any day!
macedonianmike

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with mdk and maruss. Tomsk is a nice place. It's very old with nice architecture but also many young people. Supposedly about 1/2 of the 500,000 population are students. Considering standards of living and safety I wouldn't want to live in any city in this area besides Novosibirsk and Tomsk (and even so these are Russian standards).
Irina Tarabrina

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="macedonianmike"]Agree with mdk and maruss. Tomsk is a nice place. It's very old with nice architecture but also many young people. Supposedly about 1/2 of the 500,000 population are students. Considering standards of living and safety I wouldn't want to live in any city in this area besides Novosibirsk and Tomsk (and even so these are Russian standards).[/quote]

Do you know any schools in Novosibirsk and Tomsk that would embrace teachers from the States?
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Schols in Western Siberia? Reply with quote

Apps wrote:
Does anyone know of schools in Barnaul or Biysk?

To the best of my knowledge, the only school in Barnaul which takes native speakers has the following contact details:
trinitycollege.ru
[email protected]
(8)3852 26-17-04 / 24-39-74
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: