Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaplans continuous advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knaved

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Kaplans continuous advertising Reply with quote

Had an initial interview with the UK recruiter for Kaplan. Due to family health issues at the time I chose not to follow up with the full interview with UAE based Kaplan recruitment team.

Since then, I can't remember a day that they haven't been advertising for teaching staff on various tefl websites. 7 months on!

Is it really that bad that they can't find or hold onto teachers? Or are they just unbelievably fussy and picky?
Geronimo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or both of the above? Sad
republocrat

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, both - absolutely.

Krapland is very picky in that it wants the most pliable and least self-assertive teachers possible, so that they will meekly implement the syllabus and have no problems with their 'profit-first' system of education.

The problem is that it's very hard to find such low-caliber teachers, so the HR do their best to talk the place up, which attracts a lot of reasonable but gullible types of teachers.

However, after a year or so of being lied to and exploited on Planet Kraplan, the half-decent teachers leave, realisng that the whole thing is just an elaborate ploy to defraud teachers and students alike.

And so the charade continues ... like a never ending wheel!
lord dobbin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my experience and that of several others who have been through the recruitment 'experience' they were fairly disreputable in their dealings - i turned them down, but those who have clung on have found themselves waiting for often up to a year after being 'approved' before receiving an offer or rejection...contact is sporadic and information contradictory - my impression is they are having to constantly recruit to compensate for the inadequacies of their own recruitment procedure...
andrewliasse

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's worse than that lord dobbin. I've spoken to many people who have had dealings with kaplan and their uae venture and the general consensus is of dishonesty rather than benign incompetence. Allegedly, they have to over recruit because they have no idea a. of student numbers b. which of their approved recruits will get clearance from UAE authorities. So, in one of the direst economic downturns of lving memory thye are apparently leading applicants to believe they have jobs when that is not the case, hoping to have plenty of teachers on their reserve list so they can keep up to their recruitment targets and get whatever bonus their contract states. They have certainly not been transparent with any of the people I know whove interviewed. Still if you absilutely can't get any other job it might be worth applying if you are willing to wait - and possibly end up with no job at the end of it.
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I can't stop smiling at the comment about Kaplan, "are they just unbelievably fussy and picky?"

As a former Kaplan employee in the US I can assure you the corporate culture is not fussy or picky in hiring employees. I'm pretty sure a pulse is required and not much more.

I have to forward this to my former colleagues. They will get a chuckle out of this. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: