Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making myself more employable in Oman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
domdabomb77

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Making myself more employable in Oman Reply with quote

Hey. From reading around here I gather you need some more serious qualifications than what I currently possess. I am wondering what type of job (if any) I can get with my qualifications (which are not dazzling by any means), and what I can do in the next year and a bit which would make me a more employable candidate in Oman.

Currently I have 3 full time teaching years of experience in Canada teaching French Immersion and Technology Education, I will have a year's teaching experience in Korea by the time I want to go to Oman. I majored in French, did a minor in English, and graduated from Education on the Dean's list.

My fiance has only her internship, some substitute teaching, and will have the same year in Korea as I did.

I see a lot of talk here about having your MA before being able to get a job in Oman. Does this only apply to University positions? Are we employable in Oman, or should we stop dreaming?

I appreciate any insight you guys have.
newbienicki

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need more than a year of teaching in Korea for sure. I can't say all college employers are looking for MAs , but you will need at least a BA in English and some strong experience teaching English. You don't seem to have this and I think this will be a problem for you. You could try doing a CELTA or TESOL while in Korea. This would be step in the right direction. It would be interesting to see what others think.

Good luck Smile
domdabomb77

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which would be better? CELTA or TESOL? Where would anyone recommend I do this?

Are there non-college jobs? Ie highschool/primary?

Thanks again.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA (consistently recognized everywhere)

BTW... are you aware that it is illegal for an unmarried couple to live together in the Middle East? You would need to be hired separately and be VERY VERY discreet.

To be honest, at this point both of you will have a difficult time getting hired as you have neither the right academic credentials or experience. (especially your fiance) I would stay in Asia for a few more years to help cure that... and perhaps marry before you move to the Middle East to simplify things.

VS
Turbster

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure in saying that without a first degree in English, TESOL or English Literature, and a CELTA, and 2 years secondary teaching experience, you will struggle to get placed in Oman.

As do others, I suggest you both stay there, do a Masters in TESOL, get the experience and you should meet the requirements.

I must admit though, I have just heard a rumour that even with an MA in TESOL, if your initial degree is not English based, you will not be accepted in the future. How good that info is, I can't say.
domdabomb77

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
CELTA (consistently recognized everywhere)

BTW... are you aware that it is illegal for an unmarried couple to live together in the Middle East? You would need to be hired separately and be VERY VERY discreet.

To be honest, at this point both of you will have a difficult time getting hired as you have neither the right academic credentials or experience. (especially your fiance) I would stay in Asia for a few more years to help cure that... and perhaps marry before you move to the Middle East to simplify things.

VS

Thanks for the response. We are aware of having to get married before we go, that's no big deal.

Looks like September 2013 is out! I'll start researching on getting the other qualifications you mentioned, might have more questions once I do that.

Dom
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are we employable in Oman,

No.

Quote:
or should we stop dreaming?

Yes.
bookworm2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="veiledsentiments"]CELTA (consistently recognized everywhere)

Yes, the CELTA (specifically the Cambridge/RSA CELTA) is the most widely recognized around the world. Definitely worth having. I learned so much from doing it years and years ago.

The Trinity College London Cert TESOL is also widely recognized, though. I've employed people who had it and they were just as good.

'TESOL', though, is part of the title of all sorts of short courses, including mickey mouse 'online only' or 20-hour ones that include no teaching practice.

If you want a certificate that is going to open doors, then do a 120-hour course that includes a minimum of 6 hours teaching practice and is internationally recognised. Two that meet these criteria are the ones above.

Of course, these are just starter courses, though, and the kind of employers who are wonderful to work for also like DELTA or equivalent and/or MA TESOL

Smile
watfordfan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbster wrote:

I must admit though, I have just heard a rumour that even with an MA in TESOL, if your initial degree is not English based, you will not be accepted in the future. How good that info is, I can't say.

I hope that rumour doesn't come to fruition.....

How related does a degree/Masters need to be? I saw an advert for U of Nizwa that listed "Social Sciences" as acceptable. I have a Masters in Human Resource Management (my career in my previous life), which did incorporate Training & Development - would that be a bit of a stretch in the opinions of those in the know?

Must take the time to thank all those long-time posters for giving advice - I've been lurking for a VERY long time but finally got around to signing up. I'm hoping to find myself a job in Oman starting September 2013, & may be calling upon your services at some point!
Turbster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watfordfan wrote:
Turbster wrote:

I hope that rumour doesn't come to fruition.....

How related does a degree/Masters need to be? I saw an advert for U of Nizwa that listed "Social Sciences" as acceptable. I have a Masters in Human Resource Management (my career in my previous life), which did incorporate Training & Development - would that be a bit of a stretch in the opinions of those in the know?

Must take the time to thank all those long-time posters for giving advice - I've been lurking for a VERY long time but finally got around to signing up. I'm hoping to find myself a job in Oman starting September 2013, & may be calling upon your services at some point!

What is your Bachelors degree? Your HR qualifications could certainly be useful over here, but it now comes under the heading of 'reserved for Omani graduates' as I understand it. So, to re-affirm: English based degree, teaching qual and minimum 2 years teaching at HS level, will get employers here interested.
watfordfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bachelors degree is in Business & Computing. I graduated 20 years ago (shocking statistic!!) without the slightest notion of becoming a teacher. I worked in the HR field for several years before deciding it wasn't what I wanted to do.

I have embarked on a Pg Cert in Teaching English for Academic Purposes, which will form a third of MA TESOL. So I'm hoping that will go in my favour, along with several years experience teaching adults. One thing I know for sure, I'm NOT doing another bachelors degree.
lovesand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Turbster, in all honesty, if some one has an unrelated degree but has a teaching certificate and several years experience, what would the chances be in landing a job in Oman? 50-50? Does it come down to the individual school and which applicant they like and then try to convince the ministry to accept them?

I'm just wondering with all the jobs on offer in Oman, how many applicants actually have a related degree when they apply. Do all the schools fill the positions with people that have a related degree?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: