Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Towards More Culturally Responsive Classroom Management
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanology wrote:
Responsibilties towards Cross-cultural politeness, sensitivites, considerations, policies, analysis, appropriateness, awareness, training -now becomes an important issue though Glenski.

All foreigners/expats/travellers/organizations abroad should be responsible for these.

I can't understand why you can't see this.
Your feelings toward those responsibilities are admirable, but it just seems that your situation is such that the J teachers wield more control than you can deal with. Unless there is a way to change their opinions or the way the school is run, you're going to face an uphill battle on this.

You may not be in Japan but in essence, you are. Adapt or I think you're going to be very unhappy there.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd share, I've tried a few different things recently to discipline students who don't do their work in class. I found by far the best is to tell them to come to the teachers' room after school so you can finish their work together.

It means you can give them a warning without getting angry in class, and once they've been made to come once it's unlikely they'll do it again. They hate the thought of being late for their club activity or going home, and being seen by the other teachers. It also means you don't need to come across as an angry disciplinarian, as you can take the time to give them a little one-to-one lesson and try and make them understand the work.

Obviously it helps if this is something that's accepted in your school.
Japanology

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the OP, I thought I'd chime and share some concluding thoughts on CRCM for Non-Japanese teachers of Japanese students.

Engaging activities is key, but that's pretty much apparent across the board for all cultures. Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

My unique findings for Japanese classroom management are:

Japan has the best student disciplinary climate in the world ( OECD report 2009)
This climate changes significantly for non-Japanese teachers.

Japanese classroom management is "fixed". The student Hans do it with the weekly rotated kakari as both the leader and homeroom teacher reporter. The Han system does not respond to non-Japanese teachers. Especially so when the class is split in half and the Hans have been broken. Ironically, managing a class of the original 38 is easier than a half class of 18.

Many Japanese teachers don't conduct classroom management like Western teachers. My Japanese team teacher does not know how to control a rambunctious classroom. She has never had to before, until now, because of the rise of the communicative language approach mixed with the presence of a non-Japanese teacher.

Non-Japanese teachers have very limited "teacher power". French and Raven's teacher power theory suggests 5 teacher powers that a teacher needs for successful classroom management. Non-Japanese teachers have only 2 of the 5 : charisma power and subject skill power.

Many Japanese students bring Joseph Berger�s �expectation states theory" to their international non-Japanese teacher classrooms that they learned from the JET program and the ALT positions. They don't see non-Japanese teachers as real teachers (Confucian based sensei) and they don't feel accountable to their Hans.

Many Japanese teachers also bring [i]expectation states[i] from the JET program to overseas teaching positions. Many do not see fully licensed and Masters educated non-Japanese teachers as real teachers and often try to maintain positioning the non-Japanese teacher in politically weak and infantile roles.

Many Japanese homeroom teachers do not promote and record disciplinary procedures for non-Japanese English subject teachers the same way they do for Japanese subject teachers like Math and Science teachers. The Hans also do not report class behavior for Non-Japanese teacher classes during the morning and after school homeroom teacher meetings like they do for their other subject teachers.

MEXT admin unofficially leaves non-Japanese teachers in the hands of the Japanese English teachers who feel uncomfortable with the unofficial added responsibility and the new relations that are a threat to the value of their job. Think about it. Let�s say I spent all my uni years to be qualified to teach the Japanese language for my country�s school system and students. Then, my MOE hires real native speaking Japanese teachers from Japan, and then after flying them over, positions them in the good graces of my care. They are here because my Japanese isn�t good enough and now I have to make sure they are informed and comfortable too. This is a bad mix for everyone. Well, the reverse of this, it can be argued, is actually going on for Western English teachers and Asian English teachers. For my scene, as a result, non-Japanese teachers are often outa the loop and spoon fed carefully selected information. The classroom management challenges that non-Japanese teachers have, in a sense, highlights the value of Japanese teachers and a remedy to the problem is not politically high on the agenda.

These were some of the significant details that were affecting my classroom management. It is just my opinion based on some research I did.

Please do not critique this post like a university thesis supervisor would. It is just a simple thought and opinion post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: