Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australia Unistar

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sainthood



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 175
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Australia Unistar Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about this group?

I've found tons of links - for their jobs....

But not a whisper about what they're like.

Apparently, they connect Aussie unis and TAFEs with Chinese universities (probably lower grade ones).

They've been pushing the advertising for a few months, and only a few months, so looks like a new operation....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
therock



Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Posts: 1266
Location: China

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been around for a number of years. Their offer isn't that good, something like 10k for 40 hours a week (teaching 20 or so), yes you have to stay in the office when you're not teaching. Don't know about other benefits such as holiday pay etc. I have seen a number of advertisements recently, which could mean they're expanding or just plain desperate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sainthood



Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 175
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had found a couple of things from a few years ago.

Gotta love that their English webpage doesn't work.

And, not surprised about the office hours - they don't even get a mention in the ad... and when stuff like that isn't mentioned, I tend not to trust!!!



Has anyone on here contracted through them...????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shonwalker



Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Unistar Reply with quote

Hello, yes I'm working for them now, since March 16th. They seem to be ok? So far, however I'm wondering about their promises? The pay is good enough for me about $1,600 US, I must say getting my work visa and also my foreign expert certificate was a royal expensive pain in the ass, I had to fly to Hong Kong and back. I took my TEFL course in Shanghai.

Their like tefl subcontractors? I'm teaching at a very cool school in Zhenjiang, China. And really like it so far, just waiting to see how they'll treat me over the next 8 months.

I started a group in yahoo groups, trying to get it started please feel free to contact me there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tafe-nsw-unistar


Last edited by shonwalker on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shonwalker



Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: changed yahoo group address Reply with quote

It is now: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tafe-nsw-unistar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3246
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

shonwalker wrote:
Hello, yes I'm working for them now, since March 16th. They seem to be ok? So far, however I'm wondering about their promises? The pay is good enough for me about $1,600 US, I must say getting my work visa and also my foreign expert certificate was a royal expensive pain in the ass, I had to fly to Hong Kong and back. I took my TEFL course in Shanghai.

Their like tefl subcontractors? I'm teaching at a very cool school in Zhenjiang, China. And really like it so far, just waiting to see how they'll treat me over the next 8 months....


do they hire native english speak'rs?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ariadne



Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Posts: 960

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts as well.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shonwalker



Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
shonwalker wrote:
Hello, yes I'm working for them now, since March 16th. They seem to be ok? So far, however I'm wondering about their promises? The pay is good enough for me about $1,600 US, I must say getting my work visa and also my foreign expert certificate was a royal expensive pain in the ass, I had to fly to Hong Kong and back. I took my TEFL course in Shanghai.

Their like tefl subcontractors? I'm teaching at a very cool school in Zhenjiang, China. And really like it so far, just waiting to see how they'll treat me over the next 8 months....


do they hire native english speak'rs?


Your in Hainan? I want to teach there next year. How do you like it there? yes only english speakers. hey would you post on my new group. I want to get some action going on there. thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3246
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

shonwalker wrote:
choudoufu wrote:
Their like tefl subcontractors?


do they hire native english speak'rs?


Your in Hainan? 。。。. thanks[/quote]

Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 2576
Location: Chengdu, Sichuan, PRC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unistar Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
shonwalker wrote:
choudoufu wrote:
Their like tefl subcontractors?


do they hire native english speak'rs?


Your in Hainan? 。。。. thanks


Rolling Eyes[/quote]d

Dat apostrophe iz gonna cost u x-tra whut whut whut.

Warm regaaads,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shonwalker



Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Australia Unistar Reply with quote

Hi, here's a heads up. Working for Anne at Unistar has been a night mare. Every promise has been a lie, they are just a bunch of sharks. No air fare, no paid holidays, no meals, no visa, no nothing, oh yeah, they do give you a big pain in the ass!!! You've been warned...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC