Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an old elephant�s market value

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kludde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: an old elephant�s market value Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for keeping this forum informative and enjoyable. Internet at its best!

I have thirty years experience from the foreign service of a Nordic country, including a number of postings abroad. I am a Bachelor of Law and have university degrees in Spanish and French. Needless to say, I am a non-native speaker of English, but I think I can say I have a good level not least when it comes to the business lingo and the like.

For personal reasons that I will not try your patience describing, I have decided to be a "drop out" and shift focus in life. Teaching English in Vietnam seems to be one attractive option for starters.

I don�t want to sound presumptuous, but when I read the curricula of various four weeks TEFL courses I feel they are somehow too basic for my background. I have quite some experience in teaching/lecturing - I was Head of Training in the service for a couple of years.

I would be most grateful to receive any comments on how my background would be rated in the Vietnamese TEFL world. Can I realistically enter "the fast line" and do without the certificate? Where would be the best turf for me? Is there a market for private lessons in Vietnam? Can I get NY Herald Tribune in Hanoi?

I have done my homework, read previous posts in this forum, and been given to understand with some relief that "age is not a factor" ( I am 5Cool.
cha muir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Old Elephant,

It sounds to me like you are the perfect candidate for vietnam. i have to keep this brief; you should come to Vietnam on a business visa, good for six months. there are many many opportunities here. travel about. see how you like things. once you are here you will figure things out very quickly. i know that there are many opportunities for business teaching, corporate training for vietnamese staff of foreign and international companies.

I don't know about Hanoi since in live and work in Dalat.

Good luck,

cha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 56 when I was in Saigon last year and I was offered "teaching conversational English" positions everywhere I went.

I have now been "teaching" in China for the past 8 months and I have found that age is an asset not a liability.

I hope to teach at this School for another 3 years and then retire in a Unit near the Orphanage which I am 100% committed to.

Best of luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: