Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hard to get any reliable information about it. Many of our friends seem to think it isn't much of a problem, since we'd be living in west Tokyo (or Nagano) at a higher elevation, and the possibility of radiation would be lessened.

Just wondering what people here think about the situation.

Higher elevated areas tend to get more radiation, so I'd look into the areas you're considering more carefully. Do not trust the Japanese government. The problem seems out of their control, and possible anyone else's, so they're trying to pretend there's nothing to worry about while they simultaneously spread the problem throughout the country. People stay in Tokyo because they have little choice, though recent data shows more people moving out of Tokyo than in for the first time in quite awhile.

If you have the chance, the further south and west you live, the safer you'll feel in the long run. I agree with your brother-in-law. You're dealing with a lot more problems heading over there right now than you would be in Portland, except perhaps not being able to find decent work in that city.
Tsian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider:

Do you have any proof of the government lying or falsifying data regarding the accident in Fukushima?
Or of the government "spreading" (I assume radiation?) the problem?

If so, I (and I suspect the newsmedia) would be very interested to see it. What have they lied about?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:

Do not trust the Japanese government.

Why not?

Quote:

The problem seems out of their control, and possible anyone else's, so they're trying to pretend there's nothing to worry about while they simultaneously spread the problem throughout the country.

Where's your evidence for that? Heck, where're the details of what you actually mean?

Quote:

People stay in Tokyo because they have little choice, though recent data shows more people moving out of Tokyo than in for the first time in quite awhile.

Again, want to quote a reliable source for that?

Quote:

If you have the chance, the further south and west you live, the safer you'll feel in the long run.

Feel? Maybe. Actually be safer? makes no difference. The reactors at Fukushima aren't putting out particulate matter at this point so the direct radiation risk is line of sight only. Secondary radiation from the original fires and explosions are already into the eco-system and it doesn't matter where you are in relation to those. The only thing that matters is time.

Quote:
I agree with your brother-in-law. You're dealing with a lot more problems heading over there right now than you would be in Portland, except perhaps not being able to find decent work in that city.

The only real problem is inside people's heads. Unless you're actually within line of sight of the plants. Then you've got a couple of extra ones, but not nearly the ones you're scaremongering about. Evil or Very Mad
ultraman111

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your job is never safe.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
Do not trust the Japanese government. The problem seems out of their control, and possible anyone else's, so they're trying to pretend there's nothing to worry about while they simultaneously spread the problem throughout the country. People stay in Tokyo because they have little choice, though recent data shows more people moving out of Tokyo than in for the first time in quite awhile.
sigh

People trying to get out of Tokyo? That's bullshit.

For what it's worth, I don't trust the government but I still feel safe living here in Narita, Chiba. There is plenty of independent monitoring going on.

The principle risks are:

1. Hitherto undetected "hotspots". (E.g. places on river banks where radioactive particles have accumulated.)

2. Contaminated foodstuffs.

These risks are difficult to quantify, but the best professional estimates are, "very low indeed". If your kids get cancer in 10 years time, it's most probably nothing to do with Fukushima. Compared to the risks you take when you put your kids in a car, they're negligible.

If you're still worried, get a geiger counter. And a Volvo.
jmatt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Do not trust the Japanese government. The problem seems out of their control, and possible anyone else's, so they're trying to pretend there's nothing to worry about while they simultaneously spread the problem throughout the country. People stay in Tokyo because they have little choice, though recent data shows more people moving out of Tokyo than in for the first time in quite awhile.
sigh

People trying to get out of Tokyo? That's bullshit.

For what it's worth, I don't trust the government but I still feel safe living here in Narita, Chiba. There is plenty of independent monitoring going on.

The principle risks are:

1. Hitherto undetected "hotspots". (E.g. places on river banks where radioactive particles have accumulated.)

2. Contaminated foodstuffs.

These risks are difficult to quantify, but the best professional estimates are, "very low indeed". If your kids get cancer in 10 years time, it's most probably nothing to do with Fukushima. Compared to the risks you take when you put your kids in a car, they're negligible.

If you're still worried, get a geiger counter. And a Volvo.

Ha! Drive a Saab at the moment---won't have a car when we come back---no need--can use the in-laws car if need be and'll be in Tokyo.

Decided to just do it---anyway---thanks for the info!
Pitarou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Returning to Japan Reply with quote

jmatt wrote:
we'd be living in west Tokyo (or Nagano) at a higher elevation, and the possibility of radiation would be lessened
If you're worried about radiation, you certainly shouldn't be living at high elevation. The higher you are, the less protection you receive from the earth's atmosphere. And you'd better come by boat, not plane.

(Sorry for flogging a dead horse. I just noticed this point while I was doing my research for a piece about radiation fears.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: