Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on job offer for 2 certified ESL teachers from US.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGriswald309B

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on job offer for 2 certified ESL teachers from US. Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I have been offered a job at a vocational college in Songklha. It is 30,000 and free board. It's 18-20 hours a week.

We are both certified ESL teachers (elementary) here in the US BUT my girlfriend has no experience abroad. I've taught in Spain and South Korea. I've also taught adult ESL here in the states for 4 years.

Anywho, I think this is a pretty decent offer.

What do you guys think?

As always, thanks in advance! Very Happy
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on job offer for 2 certified ESL teachers from Reply with quote

CGriswald309B wrote:
My girlfriend and I have been offered a job at a vocational college in Songklha. It is 30,000 and free board. It's 18-20 hours a week.

We are both certified ESL teachers (elementary) here in the US BUT my girlfriend has no experience abroad. I've taught in Spain and South Korea. I've also taught adult ESL here in the states for 4 years.

Anywho, I think this is a pretty decent offer.

What do you guys think?

As always, thanks in advance! Very Happy

If by certified you mean and degree and a TEFL cert then ya, it is pretty much in the ballpark.

If by certified you mean a certified teacher with an ESL endorsement then it is low.

A newbie with a degree an anglophone passport and a pulse stepping right off the plane can get offers in the 32-40k baht range.

Oh, and vocational colleges here are not the same as at home. Here they are mostly made up of kids who chose that route instead of going to high school (usually because they couldn't pass the high school entry exams).

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say. I think you should be able to make at least 40,000 but I have seen people with your credentials make 35000. 30000 is too little. I would shoot for International Schools. I have seen people with what you have get hired right away and the pay scale would be considerably more.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what Tom said.

If you have QTS status (certified to teach at a public school in your home country) you should be looking at making at least 50,000+/month (dep on location). My current school (Bangkok) starts certified (B.Ed/PGCE/PGDE/etc.) teachers for EFL at about 70,000/month (with 3 years exp).

Any other kind of certification (TEFL, CELTA, etc.) you should be looking at 30,000++/month.

Quote:
I would shoot for International Schools. I have seen people with what you have get hired right away and the pay scale would be considerably more.

That is assuming they have QTS (B.Ed/PGCE/PGDE/etc.) in their home country. Often people get confused when it comes to using the term "certified" teacher. A TEFL/CELTA does not equal home country teacher certification which is what is required to make the bigger salaries in most cases.

Vocational Colleges in Thailand are (as Tom said) nothing special.

Although if its about location and you like Songkla, why not. One of the few benefits of working at a College/University is the opportunity for tutoring one on one or groups. Some people can pocket an extra 10-20,000++/month with private tutoring.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certified ESL teachers who are from the U.S or Canada and are native speakers can expect a salary of between Baht 25,000 - Baht 40,000 Monthly. There are literaly thousands of certified (and uncertified) TEFL teachers on the ground here in Thailand....mostly in Bangkok....to compete with and this is why salaries have hardly (if not) changed for teachers here in the past 30 years or so. There are also thousands of Eastern European, Russian, and Chinese non-native speakers teaching the English language as well as thousands of Filipinos and Indians. If you really wish to teach English in Thailand you are welcome to do so but don't expect higher TEFL wages to happen in this decade. Good luck in your search! Very Happy
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Certified ESL teachers who are from the U.S or Canada and are native speakers can expect a salary of between Baht 25,000 - Baht 40,000 Monthly.

Completely incorrect for the 3rd or 4th time.

Anyone with home country certification (not just TEFL cert.) and some experience should be looking to make around 50,000 baht/month with opportunities up to 70,000+/month (like my school for one of many examples). If they can teach secondary math/science there are opportunities to make more.

If you simply have a degree and a TEFL cert, you are looking at 25,000-40,000++/month depending on location. Standard agency government school contracts are about 30,000 + accomm allowance (3000/month). with the possibility of a couple thousand more for extra experience or higher education.

There are numerous current threads on this topic where I have listed very clear and concrete examples to back up my comments.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion, but making obviously false statements is in poor taste and goes against what this forum is all about.

Quote:
salaries have hardly (if not) changed for teachers here in the past 30 years or so.

The good schools have.

Quote:
don't expect higher TEFL wages to happen in this decade

Nobody gets into TEFL or teaching in general for the money. People should not come to Thailand if money is a major factor for them. But there are good paying jobs for home country certified teachers in both EFL and teaching core subjects. Lots of competition but if you are good at what you do, have good references, interview well and have a little passion, ambition and professionalism, you can be relatively successful here. Those that don't have these things are stuck making 30,000-40,000 baht/month.
CGriswald309B

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are both certified teachers (elementary) with ESL endorsements. However, we don't have B.Eds which I'm sure will hurt us. I have a degree in Print Journalism with a minor in English. My gf has a degree in Photo Journalism.

I also have 8 years ESL experience (3.5 abroad) in addition to three years in a US classroom.

My girlfriend has no real ESL experience but she does have an ESL endorsement and 2 years classroom experience in a primary school.

We plan on flying into Bangkok early August, heading south, and seeing what we can find. In January we're going to hit up the international job fair in Bangkok.

Nos vemos...
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baht 30,000/Month is a standard salary for certified ESL teachers with a degree in Thailand. In the south this is considered a very good salary as the cost of living is much cheaper as is the food, transport etc. Actually most language schools (Thai or English run) pay much less than this...usually between Baht 17,000 - Baht 25,000 Monthly in the south. Consider yourself and your friend lucky in this offer at the vocational college in Songkla. Good luck in your search!
CGriswald309B

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, we are both certified to teach elementary grades Pre-K to 4 in the USA. We also have ESL endorsements.

We've both taught in public schools here in the USA.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP,

If you are still looking at the south, Head Start International School in Phuket is currently looking. They start at about 60,000/mth. Not sure the grade levels and classes, but I heard they are looking for English and PE teachers.

Also, AYC (agency) is advertising 2 positions down south at a government school for about 35,000/mth. Not great for a certified teachers but you would probably be a lock for the jobs with your CV's.

If you are willing to work in Bangkok, Satit Bilingual School in Bangkok (Rangsit) is also advertising for primary ESL, primary homeroom, etc teachers. They start at around 50,000/mth. Would suit your experience and quals nicely.

Also in Bangkok (Bangna) is American School of Bangkok and they are currently advertising for Early Childhood teachers. I think they start at around 50-60,000/mth. Very nice new campus.

So much for those that seem to think 25-40,000 is standard.

Best of luck.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my, I stopped ready after "my girlfriend and I..."

you are going to thailand with a western gf? you will be tortured and stuck with a white chick or it will likely end your relationship. don't go to thailand until you are single... this path has been walked many many times before you...

alternatively, get crafty about cheating. or negotiate an open relationship
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who comes to Thailand should have an understanding of Thai culture before teaching English. There is a Thai cultural course. This course was designed to orientate Farang EFL teachers on Thai lifestyle and mannerisms. If you are single or married this course might help you in dealing with your relationships. Good look on your search and welcome to the LOS! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you are going to thailand with a western gf? you will be tortured and stuck with a white chick or it will likely end your relationship. don't go to thailand until you are single... this path has been walked many many times before you...

alternatively, get crafty about cheating. or negotiate an open relationship

Some people are much more mature than this and can actually come to Thailand and find other things to do and appreciate besides the side of Thailand to which you are alluding.

That being said I have seen couples split after coming to Thailand, but most of these relationships were not strong to begin with.

Quote:
Anyone who comes to Thailand should have an understanding of Thai culture before teaching English.

Agreed to a degree. While people should make an effort to do their research before going to any other country to live and work, its hard to understand a different culture just from reading books and the Internet. It takes time being immersed in a culture to really understand it (even then its hard).

Quote:
Thai cultural course. This course was designed to orientate Farang EFL teachers on Thai lifestyle and mannerisms.

Maybe, but in reality its just a nice cash cow for the boys at the top of the food chain. If it was truly meant to orientate farang EFL teachers to Thai culture, they would make it mandatory BEFORE teachers get a work permit. Most of the people I know who have taken the course had already lived and worked in Thailand; some for more than 10 years. If you haven't learned to speak some Thai, been to a few temples and experienced the religion, etc, etc, after being here for a year or more, NO course is going to help you.

Even now, the course has not been offered for over a year because they can't get their act together to organize a curriculum and figure out who should be allowed to offer the course. Most likely because there are now new top dogs at the MOE and TTC and they havent yet received their cut of the cash cow. I know people (companies) who have/are vying for parts of this contract.

Quote:
If you are single or married this course might help you in dealing with your relationships.

Possibly, but as most people dont take the course until after they have been here for at least a few months, they damage will probably already be done if its going to happen.

IMHO, I think the course is a great idea IF IF IF they make it mandatory for all new teachers to take it BEFORE they get their work permits and if it focuses more on the school environment (we dont need to learn to do a Thai dance or learn about Thai instruments for 3 hours). As it stands now, its mostly a joke and a nice cash cow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: