Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tenencia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Tenencia Reply with quote

Here's an odd one. The State of Quintana Roo decided to all but do away with the tenecia, starting the first of the year. Everyone I know, regardless of nationality or status in country has paid a mere 270 pesos in tenencia for 2012- except me! Evil or Very Mad

Just before I bought a new car, it seems the state issued an order which clarified who was to be exempt from the former, high tax on cars: you were exempt if you had an I.F.E. Well, that works out to a pretty discriminatory tax, it seems to me, with just non citizens having to pay the tax.

Mine worked out to just under 4,000 pesos. As I understand it, those of you in Mexico City are still paying under the old system, so I don't expect too much sympathy, at this point.

I'm not too distressed about it, just disappointed, having expected not to have to pay under the old system.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution to your problem is to get rid of your car Wink .
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understood it, tenencia is gone in DF, at least for cars under BMW level prices.

http://www.eluniversaldf.mx/home/nota40408.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guapa, I don't have the option you suggested- my wife wanted a car, and I resisted as long as was reasonable, all things considered....

Guy, I looked at the article you referenced, and some others, and they all seem to read about the same way when talking about this subsidy: none of them seems to speak about what happens when you buy a new car, and plates are being issued for the first time.

This may be the real reason I was charged- no exemption exists for new cars, for which plates are being issued for the first time.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tenencia Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Here's an odd one. The State of Quintana Roo decided to all but do away with the tenecia, starting the first of the year. Everyone I know, regardless of nationality or status in country has paid a mere 270 pesos in tenencia for 2012- except me! Evil or Very Mad

Just before I bought a new car

You make enough TEFLing in Mexico to buy a car? Surprised Shocked

Get rid of the car and tell your wife you cannot afford one. Remind her that you're a TEFLer in Mexico which means a car is too expensive for you. Then remind her of the "lifestyle" you both enjoy through TEFLing in beautiful Mexico. Pretty simple.

You're welcome.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Guapa, I don't have the option you suggested- my wife wanted a car

Wow. Unbelievable.

And if your wife ever wants that mansion by the lake? Remind her of a few points.

1. You are TEFLing in Mexico, not those other parts of the world that will pay a TEFLer an actual living wage.

2. It's difficult to get paid on time and the full amount owed you. This can make paying those payments on time very difficult.

3. Tell your wife to get a job if she wants a car. That will usually stop their complaining.

You're welcome.

FAIR...& BALANCED.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tret is not the only TEFLer in Mexico with a car. Me and three other English teachers in my department have cars. For me with three kids it's actually cheaper than using public transportation to get us all where we need to go.

Tenencia was instated to pay for the 68 Olympics so it's about time it's done away with, don't you think?
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF Ed you're making way too many assumptions about others' (that's us) situation in life. We paid cash for the car, my employer always pays on time, and my wife works. See what I mean...?

I was, until recently, the only English teacher I know who didn't have a car: that was my preference, but my wife has a voice in things, too. Marriage is a bit like that....
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up the D.F. situation, I have a car in D.F. and the rules are these:

1) Have previous tenencias paid up
2) Have car valued at under a certain price (don't remember what, but mine is!
3) Pay annual refrendo de placas of $314
I paid $314 this year. Very Happy

...and to clear up another point, those of us (well, most!) who LIVE in Mexico wish to live our lives to the best standard possible, and have the right to spend our money on whatever we want as long as we can afford it. I wouldn't dream of not having a car in my own country, so why should I in Mexico? It IS my home, you know!
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:

... those of us (well, most!) who LIVE in Mexico wish to live our lives to the best standard possible, and have the right to spend our money on whatever we want as long as we can afford it. I wouldn't dream of not having a car in my own country, so why should I in Mexico? It IS my home, you know!

I hadn't had a car in the States since 1969 and organized my life so I wouldn't need one, so when I moved to Mexico, the thought of buying a car never crossed my mind. Why should I spend a ton of money on a car while living in a city like the D.F. with its excellent public transportation system?
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine having a car in the D.F.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:

12 years I thought and felt the same...but I'm buckling later this month and buying one. 2 young kids means it has gotten way too hard to rely on public transport, as great as it has been for me all these years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Enchilada Potosina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tenencia was cut by 50% in SLP for this year. I was paying what you'd pay for road tax in the UK, which would be fine if they actually invested the money in the roads. Instead you have potholes you could lose your car in and streets that aren't much changed from colonial times.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:

I have one, but I hate driving (in general, not just in DF) and rarely use it. In the past we kept it for late night emergencies with my brother in law, who passed away last year. We do occasionally use it when going OUT of the city. Since it isn't worth much anyway, and I have a place to park it, I haven't really done anything about finding it a new home.

I agree that there are people who make far too many assumptions about how people live and how much they earn. I can't help but wonder where all these employers are who don't pay in full, or on time. Oh, I've been paid a day late, or a couple of days late, but that is all. And I have worked for a variety of employers over a span of many years. You'd like I would have run into at least one of them.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
DebMer wrote:

12 years I thought and felt the same...but I'm buckling later this month and buying one. 2 young kids means it has gotten way too hard to rely on public transport, as great as it has been for me all these years.

Yeah, I really think that is when things get a little more difficult. It's do-able with one, but with two much more difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: