Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do non whites have a problem getting work in Thailand?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Do non whites have a problem getting work in Thailand? Reply with quote

I am of East Indian descent. I was born in the Caribbean and grew up in Canada. Eng. is the first language of my family and I speak and write it perfectly.

However, when I worked in Turkey some employers made a judgement call based simply on the way I looked. My CV although pretty damn good and chock full of experience didn't seem to sway their prejudice.

I have noticed that some jobs for Thailand have stressed caucasians only.
Other times they have stressed the major Eng. countries such as US, Canada, Austalia, NZ, UK, etc. I have often encountered surprise from certain nationalities who seem to be unaware of the large ethnic mix of Canada, England and the US and that they do speak Eng. as a first language.

Does this problem exist in Thailand to any great degree. Will it inhibit my potential to get a job?

Thanks,
Dude
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two issues.

Nationality is a visa/immigration issue. If you are from Can, USA, UK, NZ or Aus you are considered to be a native speaker and are exempt from requiring a TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS score when you apply for the visa and work permits and you get paid (entry level) in the 35k THB range to start.

EVERYONE ELSE is considered to be a non-native speaker, is required to present a TOEIC score as part of the visa application process. Wages are also substantially lower (by about 1/2) in the 15-20k THB range.

Will race play its part = yes but since you have a Canadian passport, (and a Canadian degree) not nearly as much as it would if you didn't. When asked, you are Canadian, not Indo-Canadian.

(without the Canadian passport, as a person of East Indian decent, your chances for employment fall from 100% to nearly "0" and wages would fall from 35k to 15k for any job that you did find.)

If you lack the degree from a Canadian university (since you didn't mention it) to go with your Canadian passport your chances of legal work fall to close to "0" anyway since the degree is a requirement for the visa and work permit as a teacher.

plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression that although not impossible, without experience you will have some trouble finding a job in Thailand. How strong your accent is and how experienced you are will be the key factors. There are many french speakers that know a lot of english, but have found themselves to be unhirable now because of their strong accents. If you come looking make sure that you have plenty of money to hunker down on while you're waiting to get hired. Also expect wages lower than what native speakers are getting. Because you're a near native speaker, how experienced you are in teaching will be the main factor in getting a job here.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canadian degree.
I have my Can. passport.
I have two TESL diplomas including a CELTA.

I currently work as an Editor for NATO - with international security clearance.

My accent is soft Caribbean-Canadian and considered quite attractive by native speakers.

I have 12 years of experience as an ESL teacher - no student ever had a problem with my accent as opposed to a strong Australian or Liverpool accent which those teachers never even tried to tone down.

Well I arrive for a holiday in BK in July, let's see what happens.

Thank you for the feedback.

Dude
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
I get the impression that although not impossible, without experience you will have some trouble finding a job in Thailand. How strong your accent is and how experienced you are will be the key factors. There are many french speakers that know a lot of english, but have found themselves to be unhirable now because of their strong accents. If you come looking make sure that you have plenty of money to hunker down on while you're waiting to get hired. Also expect wages lower than what native speakers are getting. Because you're a near native speaker, how experienced you are in teaching will be the main factor in getting a job here.

Correction, I am a native speaker.

Dude
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Anybody considering Thailand for work or travel needs to begin following the news out of Bangkok immediately in order to to stay informed about events as they unfold on a daily basis. Exclamation
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't have a problem with being non-white. You will get hired with the standard wages. However you might have to wait untill the current semester ends, I believe it is in September, until some positions open up.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
I have my Can. passport.

My accent is soft Caribbean-Canadian and considered quite attractive by native speakers.

I have 12 years of experience as an ESL teacher - no student ever had a problem with my accent as opposed to a strong Australian or Liverpool accent which those teachers never even tried to tone down.

Dude

TEFL certs are irrelevant.

You hold a DEGREE from a Canadian university to go with your Canadian passport then you are good to go.

REMEMBER that when anyone asks.. you are CANADIAN, not Indo-Canadian, Caribbean-Canadian, etc.

dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
dudeteacher wrote:
I have my Can. passport.

Dude

TEFL certs are irrelevant.

You hold a DEGREE from a Canadian university to go with your Canadian passport then you are good to go.

REMEMBER that when anyone asks.. you are CANADIAN, not Indo-Canadian, Caribbean-Canadian, etc.

TEFL Certs are irrelevant? REally?
That's a surprise. But hey, what do I know about Thailand. I am then guessing that almost anyone with a degree can get a teaching job.

Dude
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:

That's a surprise. But hey, what do I know about Thailand. I am then guessing that almost anyone with a degree can get a teaching job.

Dude

To get the non-b (visa) and work permit you need:

i) passport from an anglophone country* or TOEIC of 600+
ii) clean police background check (not always asked for)
iii) DEGREE

i) + ii) + iii) = job + visa + work permit.

I didn't see a TEFL course in the list. Yes, any anglophone person with a degree can get a teaching job.

* UK, USA, Canada, Australia, N.Z.

MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

iii) DEGREE

YES, but just to clarify, these are the documents that the TEACHER need to supply. The SCHOOL also has to supply many many documents, so you are always reliant on your school to get things organized properly even if you have everything ready to go.

Some regions, some provinces and/or some individual officers can and may ask to also see Uni transcripts and/or a Uni degree confirmation letter. If you have them, it is a good idea to bring them with you.
Quote:

As far as Immigration and Ministry of Labour and MOE are concerned, YES. They will just hand your cert. back to you in most cases and say its not necessary. Some schools may request or require a TEFL cert though. I have found that many schools that will require a TEFL cert will require a more recognized one (CELTA, Trinity , SIT, etc).

To the OP:

Follow what Tom said and just say you are Canadian, but expect some racism if you are darker skinned.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:
Quote:

iii) DEGREE

YES, but just to clarify, these are the documents that the TEACHER need to supply. The SCHOOL also has to supply many many documents, so you are always reliant on your school to get things organized properly even if you have everything ready to go.

Some regions, some provinces and/or some individual officers can and may ask to also see Uni transcripts and/or a Uni degree confirmation letter. If you have them, it is a good idea to bring them with you.
Quote:

As far as Immigration and Ministry of Labour and MOE are concerned, YES. They will just hand your cert. back to you in most cases and say its not necessary. Some schools may request or require a TEFL cert though. I have found that many schools that will require a TEFL cert will require a more recognized one (CELTA, Trinity , SIT, etc).

To the OP:

Follow what Tom said and just say you are Canadian, but expect some racism if you are darker skinned.

I always say I am Canadian. However, I wanted to point out the ignorance I might experience.

I have NATO International Security Clearance - which clears me to work for the UN and NATO. Would suffice for "a police background check."

Sadly, yes I am prepared for not so much racism but ignorance.

Dude
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudeteacher wrote:
I have NATO International Security Clearance - which clears me to work for the UN and NATO. Would suffice for "a police background check."

No. They wouldn't know what it was.

If it doesn't say "POLICE" and something to the effect of "no record found" on it they will make you try again.

A simple police check (Winnipeg police service since you are from Canada) can be done quickly by mail. You need a copy of your passport and one other piece of Canadian ID (plus the payment and signed application) to apply. Google their website.

If you are IN Canada then a simple "over the counter" police check from a city/municipal force or the RCMP will suffice.

dudeteacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
dudeteacher wrote:

No. They wouldn't know what it was.

If it doesn't say "POLICE" and something to the effect of "no record found" on it they will make you try again.

A simple police check (Winnipeg police service since you are from Canada) can be done quickly by mail. You need a copy of your passport and one other piece of Canadian ID (plus the payment and signed application) to apply. Google their website.

If you are IN Canada then a simple "over the counter" police check from a city/municipal force or the RCMP will suffice.

Useful info. Thank you.

Dude
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Thais are "Non Whites" and they have no problem finding work in Thailand. The problem is when they teach English Laughing .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: