Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jogja and Solo questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Jogja and Solo questions Reply with quote

I'm interested in teaching English in Jogja or Solo. I don't really see advertisements very often for jobs in either place. I do remember hearing some negative reviews about language centers in Jogja but don't recall any specifics. I know that pay is rather low in these cities. However, I have some money saved to use as supplementary income so salary isn't my most important requirement.

Does anyone know of language schools in Jogja or Solo that are "decent" places to work? Or do you know of any volunteer programs that need English teachers and can provide basic housing? I could probably stretch my savings if I had accommodation taken care of but paid work is good too. I definitely can't afford to pay a program fee to volunteer though. I'm looking for employers or volunteer organizations that are at least competent enough to handle visa applications, supply teaching materials, and honor contract details.

I have a B.S. university degree (not teaching or English related), CELTA and 2 years teaching experience in Asia. I'm very interested in being near Pacitan and being able to get there when I have 2 or 3 days off in a row. Got any ideas on language schools that might hire someone with my qualifications?

Thank you!
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I looked at were offering silly salary.
4 to 6 million per month.
Better to be in Jak at 15 to 20 million and fly down.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:
All I looked at were offering silly salary.
4 to 6 million per month.
Better to be in Jak at 15 to 20 million and fly down.

Could you be specific about the places that will hire at those salaries, or how in general you make that kind of money in Jakarta. I have spent a little bit of time in Jakarta and wouldn't mind being there at those kind of salaries.
mr fred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems pretty much the norm for a newer but qualified teacher in Jak. The 'mills' all seem to pay around 8 million but real schools pay more.
I don't know many teachers here but I do know a couple of more senior ones who are making very good money.
Tudor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:
That seems pretty much the norm for a newer but qualified teacher in Jak. The 'mills' all seem to pay around 8 million but real schools pay more.
I don't know many teachers here but I do know a couple of more senior ones who are making very good money.

You're misinformed. EF pay around 8 million, most other language schools (Wall Street, TBI, Aim, Direct English etc) will pay around 15 million. The nat plus or lower tier international schools will generally pay between 15-20 million. There are exceptions of course.
mr fred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF and other schools of the like were all offering around 8 million or so but there may well be others offering more. Same goes for a couple of small private places that asked me to visit.
An EF in C. Java offered 5 while another national company offered 4.
I've never visited Wall street or TBI so I can't comment.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:

I've never visited Wall street or TBI so I can't comment.

That's appalling! I can't say on this forum how I feel about that.
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr fred wrote:

I spoke to someone at EF Solo recently (which I always had heard was the lowest paying of the Central Java EF franchise) and he said they were starting people at 6 million currently. Not much certainly, but I have a hard time believing there's any schools starting at 4. What's the name?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gajah Oling wrote:
mr fred wrote:

I spoke to someone at EF Solo recently (which I always had heard was the lowest paying of the Central Java EF franchise) and he said they were starting people at 6 million currently. Not much certainly, but I have a hard time believing there's any schools starting at 4. What's the name?

6 million is disgusting. It's only 623 US dollars. Nobody should except that level of pay period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: