Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Turkey with a dog
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcphllp

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Living in Turkey with a dog Reply with quote

I am thinking of moving to Turkey to teach English. I have a dog (Golden Retriever) and from what I have found on the internet, it shouldn't be too hard to get him into the country.

I was just wondering if anyone had any stories or advice for me?

Thanks
beets

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is a fantastic question! I, too, have a dog - and am wondering the same thing.

As far as I know, we can bring them in to the country (given the right vet checks/vaccinations) - but what about renting apartments? Is it harder to find a place if you have a pet?

I'm also curious about other peoples experiences Smile
mcphllp

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what ive read, the concept of owning a dog is not too familiar in turkey, so the idea of no pets allowed in rentals is not common, but again this all from reading stuff on the internet
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many dogs in Turkey bringing one in with you shouldn't be a problem. There are also a lot of street dogs in Istanbul and in the capital Ankara so you can also take them into your apartment. Good luck with your dog! Smile
billy orr

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the dog in should be no problem, but have you looked in to how difficult it would be to get the dog back to your home country?

Most apartments have rules banning dogs, so I hope you already have sympathetic accommodation sorted out.
lucia79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izmir seems to be a very dog-friendly place. Many people have dogs and they take them to the park, have doggie play-dates, and lots of pet shops abound.

I had a friend in Istanbul who brought her dog from abroad and she had no problem taking her pooch back with her when she left.
beets

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great insight, thanks guys... I think its probably best to ask future land lords about their policy without assuming we can just bring our dogs with us. But in terms of going to and from your country of origin, a simple trip to the vet should solve that problem. Generally they have a list of vaccines/paper work you need to get your pet over the border.
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a golden that my neighbour rescued from the street and bestowed on me:) It can be difficult to find landlords to agree, but we got our apartment before the dog;)

It will depend on whether you live in a block that has a general 'no dog' rule and also maybe on whether you are renting furnished or unfurnished.

I would advise you to try and get an apartment reasonably near a park so your dog can enjoy exercise. Istanbul streets are very noisy with minibuses hooting every 10 seconds and some dogs can find it a bit much. Exercising a dog in a park is also a great way to meet other dog owners and good for your Turkish. I only say this because parks are few and far between. I live near a very big park on the Asian side and meet people who have driven with their dog from the European side. There are parks of course on the European side but the Asian side is more dog friendly in my opinion.,

Although Turkish culture is not a traditionally pet-owning culture, I find people in general very kind to my dog, rather too kind as far as giving titbits goes!
solidarnosc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that apparently there is a law regarding dogs in apartments!

By law it is actually not allowed and is on paper illegal. Of course, most people usually turn a blind eye to it as Turks are very dog loving people.

The same as smoking in a taxi is illegal, but everyone does it anyway.

BUT if someone in the apartment complex doesn't like the idea of you keeping a dog, they have the right to go to the police and complain. Which gives you the choice of getting rid of the dog or going to court. It has unfortunately happened to a few Turkish friends of mine hence; How I heard about it Smile
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most practising Muslims do not keep dogs as pets because they are generally considered unclean. Also Muslims (99% of the Turkish population) believe that angels will not visit a home that contains a dog. Hence landlords not wanting to rent to a dog-owner.

However, Islam instructs its followers to take care of all creatures, so many people feel compelled to offer a bit of food and water to stray dogs that live around cities, especially Istanbul and Ankara. There are currently estimated to be 150,000 free-roaming dogs in Istanbul.

Rabies is endemic in Turkish dogs and every year there are a small number of people who die from the bites of rabid dogs. Tubitak reports between 1992 - 2007 that there were 39 rabies cases, mostly in Istanbul.
As a result, in many cities in Turkey, dogs are rounded up and sometimes poisoned or treated brutally by police.

See :http://www.animalific.com/dogs-video-2.html

[url]http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZVkmF7TB[/url]

[url]http:// www.hurriyetdailenews.com/stray-dogs-kill-iranian-man[/url]

I lived and worked in Ankara for 5 years and had the horrifying experience of seeing a rabid dog rushing through Kizilay to screams from the passers-by, until it was shot by the police. A neighbour had her dog poisoned on the balcony by police throwing meat.

So, is Turkey a dog-loving nation? I would say no in my experience.
lucia79

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parks are rife in many parts of Izmir. People can be seen out and about with furry four-legged friends in tow. There are quite a few dog owners on my street alone and a veterinarian around the corner. Golden retrievers and beagles are a popular pet choice.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: German Shepherd Police Dogs in Istanbul Reply with quote

Be very careful in Istanbul parks...I was almost mauled by a German Shepherd Police Dog when walking my poodle recently in the early morning hours...they are extremely volatile and can or will attack your dogs too! Turks sometimes let them loose in public parks to give them exercise and sometimes people get bitten!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are already enough dogs in Turkey. No need to import any more.
Aristede

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
There are already enough dogs in Turkey. No need to import any more.

Perhaps more cats are what is needed.
beets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... for some people, pets are a huge part of their family. I know there is a huge stray dog/cat population which is heart breaking, but I think everyone is entitled to their pets. If anything pet owners in Turkey are alot more sympathetic towards the strays by offering them food/water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: