Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What package can I expect with my quals and experience?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will face the same in most other countries in the region.

It is listed as a requirement but often not asked for in most countries in SE / East Asia.

EXCEPTIONS are: Korea (NATIONAL levell check with additional authentication required), Taiwan (authenticated for legal work with proper visa), Vietnam (for legal work and by the better employers in the region).

Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any agency recommendations?

Google returns a plethora of websites which makes it difficult to determine the good from the bad.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English language schools in the LOS do not offer a package for EFL teachers. They offer a basic hourly wage or minimum monthly Baht teachers salary which hasn't changed much at all in the last 35 years or so. The grass is not greener here...there is hardly any grass around actually as Bangkok is simply a concrete jungle consisting of millions of vehicles (mostly taxis and tuk tuks) as well as millions of Thais who come here from the provinces...especially ISAAN...to work. The air pollution levels here from car exhausts/vehicle emissions are the worst I have ever seen in my travels around the world. If you are considering teaching English here forget talking about a package. You are strictly a wage or salary earner...nothing more...nothing less! Yes the grass is greener in Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar as well as Malaysia and Cambodia....and the money is too! Good luck in your search! Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:
Does anyone have any agency recommendations?

Google returns a plethora of websites which makes it difficult to determine the good from the bad.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Oriental English, they frequently advertise on the Ajarn website. Very trustworthy and no dirty tricks.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots on the ground and start networking / cold calling.

You won't find anything decent from abroad right now and I wouldn't suggest any agency. Either go direct to the school / academy or stay home.

Land, grab a job to supply a visa and work permit, put in some time and network. It IS about who you know and who knows you.

Wait till the next academic year starts and move up.

Placebo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
English language schools in the LOS do not offer a package for EFL teachers. They offer a basic hourly wage or minimum monthly Baht teachers salary which hasn't changed much at all in the last 35 years or so. The grass is not greener here...there is hardly any grass around actually as Bangkok is simply a concrete jungle consisting of millions of vehicles (mostly taxis and tuk tuks) as well as millions of Thais who come here from the provinces...especially ISAAN...to work. The air pollution levels here from car exhausts/vehicle emissions are the worst I have ever seen in my travels around the world. If you are considering teaching English here forget talking about a package. You are strictly a wage or salary earner...nothing more...nothing less! Yes the grass is greener in Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar as well as Malaysia and Cambodia....and the money is too! Good luck in your search! Smile

There are plenty of good jobs here for people with the qualifications that the OP has. As people pointed out, with a little bit of networking and a year or 2 of experience here in Thailand, it's not that hard to find a job in the 50-60K region. Some people post (repetitive) nonsense on this board . Confused
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
Quote:

Ya the pollution is bad, but try going to Mexico city or some areas of China. Makes Thai pollution seem like a breath of fresh air.

You wont see a single tuk-tuk outside of very specific areas in Bangkok.

The grass is definitely not greener in Laos or Cambodia. Vietnam is fast losing its appeal to anybody with a couple years of experience. Few jobs in Myanmar (soon to change im sure).

Quote:
Some people post (repetitive) nonsense on this board .

Yes, Yes, Yes, Agreed 100%. Some very specific people.

Quote:
There are plenty of good jobs here for people with the qualifications that the OP has. As people pointed out, with a little bit of networking and a year or 2 of experience here in Thailand, it's not that hard to find a job in the 50-60K region.

Maybe not plenty, but enough to go around for good people/teachers.

Quote:
Boots on the ground and start networking / cold calling.

This strategy doesn't work as well as it used to. For language schools its still ok, but if you cold call a government school these days, you are likely to be told to contact the agency or placement company that does the foreign teacher hiring for the school.

And contrary to popular belief, you don't always get a higher salary if the school hires you directly. IN FACT, you often get a lower salary because without the agency, everyone involved is often making less money. I speak from first hand direct contact experience.

Quote:
You won't find anything decent from abroad right now and I wouldn't suggest any agency.

Disagree. The bigger agencies often look to hire people both locally and from abroad. However, you will have to be able to come ASAP if applying during the school year (rather than the school holiday). You will not have many options to choose from and will probably be in an area outside of Bangkok, but its a foot in the door and a good way to start (for a semester or so). I know people working for agencies making around 40,000K/mth and have been with them for 3+ years. Accomm, Ins, housing, extra work for pay, etc.

Quote:

Land, grab a job to supply a visa and work permit.

Not that easy though is it. Many schools dont wont to or dont know how to get work permits for teachers. In fact this is often one of the benefits of working for a good agency. If an agency wont arrange a Non B visa dn work permit for you, look elsewhere (unless you are just filling in or working short term in which case no one will spend the money to get the legal documents for you).

Quote:
put in some time and network. It IS about who you know and who knows you.

Agree 100%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: