Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing myself and advice sought

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonbeamshimmer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself and advice sought Reply with quote

Hello all!

I've just had my registration authorised and I wanted to introduce myself.
I am a 23 year old British female living in London. I have just returned from a short trip to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and have since decided that I would like to follow my aspirations and work as a TEFL teacher (haven't decided for how long yet) in Thailand. I graduated from one of the UKs top universities last year in Classics and have quite a lot of experience with children of different ages.

I am now considering my options and would like some honest advice from you all. They are:
1) Taking a CELTA with IH in Chiang Mai around August/September time and then finding work while in the country
2) Completing a TEFL course with TEFL Heaven and then being placed within a school organised for me.
3) I have a second interview with a school I applied for and the start date (should I be successful) is in July. This would mean a very brief TEFL course and a mad rush to tie up loose ends here.

I understand how the CELTA course is the most in-depth and thorough but my only concern is that it is focused on adults, as opposed to children. Therefore because I am most likely to be teaching children, a TEFL would be more appropriate. However, I am a believer that if you are going to educate yourself, you should invest in the best possible course and qualification.

I have a few questions too, including whether with the first option, coming out to Thailand without a job is risky.

Any advice, suggestions or criticism is much welcomed and I look forward to your responses.

Moonbeam : )

ps. Apologies for posting this here as well as in "Newbies", but I wasn't sure if people check both forums
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post your responses on the following thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=96504
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: