Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT- typical salary? worth waiting for? how long do you wait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamanos12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: HCT- typical salary? worth waiting for? how long do you wait Reply with quote

Alrighty,
Any solid advice will be most appreciated.
I went to the 2012 TESOL Conference and was interviewed by HCT. I thought they seemed fine, but I have read all the warnings about how working for them is not the dream it once seemed. My impression is that the administration pays you a lot to treat you like a disposable slave. This is my impression-please correct me if I"m wrong. Is it really that bad?

Also, with a Masters and 4 years of Uni ESL Experience in the states any guestimates on what they would offer?

I guess I've passed through the initial screening and am now in the pool waiting to see if any individual institution wants to take me on. Anyone know if this means I will be waiting indefinitely? I"m trying to get something sealed and there are other offers.

Last thing...the three year contract. If I signed, I'd do my best to make good on the commitment, but anyone know the reprocussions (emotional and financial) of not making good on the 3 year contract?

Thanks to anyone that replies.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect any employers in the Gulf to give fast answers. It is just not in the system. But, you can also drag your feet in accepting.

I can't tell you what the current salary offers are, but it is normally pretty good, as are the benefits.

It is not that they treat you like a disposable slave, it is just obsessively over-bureaucratic. Much depends on where you are assigned and how well you personally are able to play the game and get along with your individual management. While you wait, practice smiling and nodding while biting your tongue. You can't change the system, so one's ability to deal with it is the key. Keep in mind that many teachers have been there for years and keep their personal goals in view.

One can always leave during the probationary period. I don't know how long that is these days. After that, you follow the procedure in the contract which is probably something to the effect of giving notice in writing a semester before you wish to depart. It used to be 6 months, but they don't want teachers leaving mid-semester, which is fair enough. In your final pay, they will deduct whatever portion of your settling in allowance has not been written off. (it is -0- if you finish the contract... the allowance was about $8000 last I heard)

VS
goodooga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Negotiate Reply with quote

You should be asking for dhs 20 000 p/m.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat chance on getting that.

I know the myth that gets posted and has been hyped up on here about HCT/ZU/UAEU folks getting 20K a month plus benefits to start... It is just that a myth for most folks. The STARTING salary that Central negotiates with/from for a MA and 3 year experience is about 13K a month. Now if you have more experience, it goes up about 1K a month per year of relevant experience. If you have additional credentials like IELTS examiner, TOEFL examiner or relevant experience in things like academic writing, etc, it may go up about another 500 AED per month.

So to get that 20K a month, you need about a dozen years of EFL/ESL experience, a relevant masters and a great deal of luck when trying to negotiate a starting salary.

I know plenty of people who have been with HCT for 5 to 10 years who aren't getting 20K a month.

So ask for it, but don't buy into the idea that new hires will get that level. And don't be surprised if they offer you something around 15 to 17K a month. 20K a month doesn't happen that often. Even with HCT desperately needing new teachers.
Shakhbut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

Last edited by Shakhbut on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
helenl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could wait for Adveti to call - they apparently pay the highest wages and benefits in the region - but fly so low below the radar that no one who has been here for 10+ years are aware of these facts.

I've followed the Adveti thread - and according to research and annecdtal evidence (which seem to be what we are all referring to) it happened for a year or two until admin figured out they were out paying the market. However, I am still sceptical - Adveti has never been on the radar in my 12 + years here either as an employer let alone as being the highest paid employer. PI in UAE always held that coveted spot, at least for about 5 years.
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so 13 years esl university experience and M. Ed TESOL could bring in over 20 000?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbowprof wrote:
so 13 years esl university experience and M. Ed TESOL could bring in over 20 000?

The key is "could." For instance, if they feel that your experience is the type that they are looking for - in particular if you have a few years teaching Arabic speakers. ...and your willingness and ability to negotiate.

VS
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately my formative years were spent honing my haggling skills in Malaysia and Indonesia. It doesn't sound as though the majority of workers at HCT find it to be a stable work environment, unfortunately. Or is it the vocal minority that make their voices heard in these forums Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the majority find it as stable as any other Gulf employer. It is always best to think of any Gulf job as a one year at a time thing. On a board like this, it is always the vocal minority that set the tone. HCT used to be one of the more stable positions where one stayed pretty much as long as one could tolerate the system. (it's a rather pompous, bureaucratic organization with delusions of grandeur... many get sick of the meetings and endless blather, while others are able to ignore it and fly under the radar)

But, much depends on the college where you teach and its management. It is a large system with good, OK, bad, and terrible branches... depending on the situation of the moment. And, you don't get to choose your branch when hired. They put you where they need you.

VS
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbowprof wrote:

It would definitely allow you to start at a higher rate than the normal starting rate of about 13.5 for a MA and 3 to 5 years of experience.

would it be 20K or more? It might depend on how they look at your experience. But it would definitely be more than 15K... the real question is are you willing to put up with all the crap that it entails?
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows? When you see a firm offer that's when you make a choice... I'm hoping to have at leat 2 to choose from so I can be a little selective. Fingers crossed.
republocrat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their starting rate depends on how short and desperate for teachers they are. As HCT is to be avoided like the proverbial rat sandwich these days, you can bet they're still having problems finding good staff. In that case, you could ask for almost $5000 a month for starters, and probably get a bite.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ask for it... don't expect to get it. HR in HCT is made up of two fairy god mothers... One is the mean old witch. She screws everyone over. She underpays you, offers you one amount, but then gives you a contract with less on it. She is the one who sends single teachers to the far emirates, while having some random folks in AD or Dubai. She blocks transfers and is generally a fairy demon mother.

The other one is local, appears to work only a day or two a month, and usually is the fantastic one. This one gives a few random people massive contracts and is absolutely fantastic. But very inconsistent.

Smile

Of course with the new HCT announcement today (a 2% pay raise that only goes back to JAN 1, 2012. What about the 3 months from September?) HCT may just be 'raking in' the new teachers. [/sarcasm]
doctorzee

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would HCT recognise the Open University Masters in Education (Applied linguistics)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: