Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any help, opinions..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sencersinan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Any help, opinions.. Reply with quote

I have a 120 hour TEFL

I spent a year in University studying banking but am in the middle of changing my course...taking a gap for a year or two.

I will have 3 months of teaching experience before I go to Thailand. Some of my experience will be private tuition for monks, some of my experience will be teaching beginner classes, some of my experience will be teaching intermediate classes, and 2 months of my experience will be spent teaching in a school.

I consider myself a good teacher. I am smart, confident, kind, have a good sense of humor and also having experience teaching sales in my previous job. I have had experience learning french to a near fluent standard.

Where can I find work in Thailand?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any help, opinions.. Reply with quote

Sencersinan wrote:
I have a 120 hour TEFL

I spent a year in University studying banking but am in the middle of changing my course...taking a gap for a year or two.

Where can I find work in Thailand?

No where legally.

The degree (that you do not have) is an immigration / TCT requirement.
The rest is irrelevant as far as immigration and the TCT are concerned.

If you want illegal work then you get to hit the bricks with the rest of the back packers and start pounding on doors.

Polished resume, good photo, dress and behave professionally and you should find someone desperate for a native speaker who won't care that you are illegal and working on a tourist visa.

Oh, and regular runs to Laos (at your expense) for new 60-day tourist visas are also in your future.

Kionon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any help, opinions.. Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
No where legally.

I've meandered over from the Japan forum.

It seems OP is asking all of us this question, and I think the degree is his main hangup. In some countries, like Japan, working holiday visas are a possibility...
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case perhaps I should make it more clear.

There is NOWHERE in Asia that you can legally (proper visas and permits) work as a teacher with the exceptions of Japan (working tourist if you qualify - bring LOTS of money) or Cambodia (you won't make much but it will be fun).

ALL other countries in East / Southeast Asia require a completed degree from an accredited university to work legally as a teacher.

You can find quasi legal work in China (working illegally on a business visa) or illegal work (on a tourist visa) in most of the rest of SE Asia PROVIDED you have a passport from one of: UK, USA, Canada, NA, Aus and a white face (yes, discrimination against non-whites is alive and well in Asia).

Also, any employer who will hire you illegally will also probably cut corners elsewhere (like your pay packet) and there is little you can do about it other than to take it (complaining will get you in worse trouble than the employer will face).

IF you are from the UK then the EU is an option. You won't make much but at least it is legal (fines, jail and deportation won't be in your future).

Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP

With your qualifications you might consider volunteering teaching English in the LOS...the main requirements are an eagerness to teach Thais and/or refugees, being a native English speaker and to have enough savings cause you will need the money here. Good luck in yoursearch! Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find a recruiter that will hire you. Many recruiters like many schools don't care if you're legal or not. The most important thing is that you come between semesters or right at the start of a semester, that means in early September. Your hireability will depend on your experience and whether or not you're a native speaker or at least near native. Strong accented speakers that are not from the 7 native english speaking countries might have a difficult time getting a job here in Thailand.

Vietnamese immigration will give permits to non degree holding teachers if the school strongly requests it due to the skills and likeability of the teacher. So............that probably means that there are some nonlegal teachers in Vietnam as well. Go to Vietnam, it's right next door to Thailand, and talk to some native teachers that you see hanging around and get information from them. Vietnam tends to pay more, quite a bit more as a matter of fact.

Another thing that is considered in SE Asia is a TEFL certificate, it counts for teaching experience and knowledge. If you can, bring some money for a 120 hour TEFL certificate. This is in spite of the fact that you don't need it to be legal (which at least at first doesn't matter for you), the employers will like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: