Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

allowances
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBF.

As most of the good international schools have already hired for the fall, you might have difficulty finding taht 10K AED a month position unless you get lucky and someone coming doesn't fulfill their contract obligations.

But you can ask for it.

Keep an eye on
tes.co.uk
dubizzle (look up dubai and abu dhabi)
dubaicityinfo.com

and there are a few other places, you can examine the schools individually.

And Gem's is also looking for teachers... i'm not sure what they pay though.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
VS: As a tourist, I go to explore, experience the culture, NOT have an iPhone and party at the hotels on the weekends. That is NOT what I do as a tourist, EVER, and that is not how I would live my life in Dubai.

Obviously you didn't read my message very carefully. I was merely pointing out that on 8500 you would be living very cheaply... that means no satellite TV (with all the English channels), fancy iPhone or other Smart phone (with unlimited texting), only slow internet (if any) and no partying in hotels on weekends. With a name like "hugebritanyfan" perhaps I misjudged you as one of the generation that wants it all... Cool

Dubai is all about flash... whether you are a tourist or a resident. It was/is my least favorite city in the Middle East - mainly because malls and expensive hotels bore me. It is the last place that I would go to experience "culture." It is rather like visiting only Las Vegas (or DisneyWorld) and thinking that you had seen the US. Laughing Teaching and living there will give you a chance to travel about and see the culture.

Good Luck in your job search. Hopefully you can find something at 10,000 or above so that you can live a better life there.

VS
bin There

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hbf - as an example of Internet / TV / phone costs - you get the following for 339 AED a month ($92) -

- 8MB of download speed
- 1MB of upload speed
- Unlimited data
- Anti-Virus Security
- 5 email accounts
- 2GB Mail storage
- 20 minutes of free international calls
- Caller ID, Voice Mail
- 16 hours free hotspot
- 1 Choice basic TV package (more than 60 English channels including Fox, Al Jaz & BBC)

(There is a cheaper package. Check out Etisalat's eLife Triple Play or Double Play.)

This would leave you 4,600 AED for other expenses like water/elec (300 a month) taxis, food from supermarkets and cheap eateries (which I always like better than the big, pretentious hotels), etc. If I need them, I buy clothes from Choitram (nationwide market) and get shirts for 10 AED and pant for 25 AED. No one could guess they're that cheap and who wants to dress up for work (don't know anyone who does - most guys wear the same clothes year in year out). If you're living in a place where there's a bus stop nearby, a bus ride in town is 1 AED. There are a lot of really good things to do in AD and Dubai that are free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: