Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My next job = where should I go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which country would you say is the best to work in as a teacher (private or government)?
South Korea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Taiwan
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Germany
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Thailand
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Saudia Arabia or UAE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
China
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Spain
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Japan
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Turkey
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Other country (please leave a comment)
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Dr. Fat_C shall prescribe paisley some ritalin or prozac Reply with quote

Question Exclamation Question Exclamation

Oh dear....
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: that's nice! Reply with quote

paisleyavenger wrote:
you're so stupid you can't even see what a *beep* you're being.

Well that's disappointing. I was aiming more for being slightly obnoxious and mischievous, but I got it all wrong and ended up being a *beep* instead.

Cool
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are more likely to get feedback and answers to your questions if you simple ignore those posters that you deem "irrelevant", as opposed to attacking them with a post of your own five minutes after they post! Asking someone not to post to a thread from now on because you don't like one of their earlier posts is unrealistic and futile.

To answer your question, I greatly enjoyed my time in China. Good lifestyle, decent money, interesting culture. I am going to try Vietnam next, but I can't give you specifics, because I can't meet your criteria of "first-hand experience"...I wouldn't want to post anything irrelevant Rolling Eyes
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the only reason that I post on Dave's is to get my post counter up.

Woohoo! I just added three more to my total; wow, I just think I'm so cool.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Too bad Dave doesn't have a yawn emoticon. Dave, can ya put one in?
rj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are two types of people ...

1) people with a genuine, intelligent opinion
2) people who have 2000 posts on ESL cafe but have never said anything relevant or useful

That seems to be open to interpretation. Even our two resident Republicans add flavour for people who aren't afraid of dissent. There's also a third type - one that walks into a pub full of strangers, shouts "Look at me! Look at me!", and then when he doesn't get his own preferred brand of attention, pouts, sulks and stamps his foot.

I realise that, at least in your world, I don't know what I'm talking about - but perhaps someone might consider exiting said pub, re-entering and observing the usual social niceities? We'll pretend not to notice you're the same fellow. Promise Smile

[Note: I've already had my ear tweaked twice by Dave's maiden aunt (Miss Ethel Violet Paladin, of Primrose Cottage, Spinners Lane, Flowery Bottoms, Surrey), and I'm told a third entails being banished to the Abyss. While I'm told New Jersey does have it's good points, I'd prefer not to find out first hand. Perhaps you might be blessed with sufficient perspicacity to share my sentiments.]

Last edited by Aramas on Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
shmooj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paisley, you've got 14 posts here at last count. I've been through them and they mostly lack content. They ask questions but they don't provide much for the rest of us. I've figured out that teaching in the UK sucks according to you for good reason. I knew that already which is why I am here in this beautiful place along with you.

Would you care to give us any more content of your own by creating a new and informative thread for us.

So, go and read all of my millions of posts and then tell me there is nothing worthwhile in them heh heh... sure fine. I can live with that.

Plenty of people here have patted themselves on the back for getting to a certain number of posts. They know who they are and if that rocks their cradle then fine.

If you really want to know what our experiences of other countries are then you need to do more reading and less writing. Check out my website and find out what life was like in Japan and what it is like in Korea (from my perspective) but make sure you read all my ten million posts here first and also read everyone else's in all the other forums Wink

And if you've been getting jobs off Dave's for more than three years, how many are you talking about? That seems like high turnover to me which is perhaps why you are now asking people to make the next decision for you.

Honestly, head to India - you won't regret it. Wink
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paisley,
Why would we want to help and give advice to someone as obnoxious as you? I have better things to do.
Eijse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eijse on Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
willy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want $ but don�t ciare about teaching and are happy being a baby sitter go to Taiwan lots of$$$ but if you really caire about what you teach�. Well I like Indonesa but just travel a round a bit and see where your hart takes you.

My draw to Indo was the fact that the fewest complaints come from here.
Anyway its all about what you make it, not what someone else feels. If you are happy at home you can be happy anywhere, if not better look inside yourself first �
willy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay people just forget it he asks and we gave what we know!
That�s it
It really sounds like you need to give us more info I mean really�

I want to work but I don�t know where, pleas give me your ideas???
paisleyavenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: willie - thnx Reply with quote

hey willie ... thanks for the info about indonesia

i'd been warned off indonesia by a friend who went there, he said the salary was poor (meaning he didn't have a very good lifestlye) and the conditions weren't great either.

the next country i go to i don't expect to save money, but i want to look around, maybe travel a bit, have fun ... so i don't think i'm aiming too high.

you're right about taiwan of course, it's the same as korea - high paid baby sitters. but i teach a lot of good kids too who enjoy coming and learning english. but your point is taken.

i'd like to know more about indonesia tho. if you can spare the time.
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: willie - thnx Reply with quote

paisleyavenger wrote:
i'd been warned off indonesia by a friend who went there, he said the salary was poor (meaning he didn't have a very good lifestlye) and the conditions weren't great either.
i'd like to know more about indonesia tho. if you can spare the time.

I'm in the 10th month of a one-year contract. I actually like the school, but don't like the location.

I would disagree with your friend about the salary. I am paid about $900 US a month after taxes, but living expenses are low if you don't live an all-out Western lifestyle. I live quite well and still manage to bank about half of what I make.

However, it's difficult to find a job away from a large city. I don't enjoy Jakarta; I think it's just a very crowded, grubby hole of a city to live in.
shmooj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia?

Again, the salary will be paltry by western standards but if you are wanting to look around and travel, India is almost limitless in these terms and certainly affordable, even on an Indian EFL salary.
kaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Indo......crowded, smelly, really dirty, your housing probably won't be up to much - teachers where I worked lived in a place with a leaking roof and all sorts of other problems which were all deemed to be perfectly suitable by the powers that be.
Then of course there are the rats, the bird flu, and dengue fever - both of which seemed pretty good reasons for getting out, the food - just how much rice or fried chicken can you handle before you get really fed up or die of rickets/scurvy or other such delights. The health service - never go to an Indo doctor if you have appendicitis (not sure if I've spelt it write) - you'll be told you have a 'bug' and be given antibiotics the size of dinner plates. Oh and if the doctor's surgery is closed and you have to go to a hospital to be treated, you could end up paying a lot of money...

If you end up in Jakarta and especially in the Northern part - expect regular flooding (in the rainy season of course), taxi drivers that rip you off (of course this can happen anywhere), and students who often are only learning English because their parents have told them to so they can show off to their friends - this unfortunately applies to TOEFL students as well.
On the plus side - um........there are some really nice places to go and many of 'my' teachers went away at the weekends. Oh, and if you like shopping centres there are a million or so malls for you to walk round and realise that you really aren't earning the money you deserve.

As I have said before and I shall say again - Turkey is a fantastic place - even if the salaries aren't great, there's loads of private work around and you'll have a great time. It's also a country with pretty much everything - the bright lights/big city scene, the beauty of Cappadocia, historical sites, great beaches - need I go on. The bus service is also pretty good and cheap to enable to take advantage of this. Plus you also get presents from your students on teachers day (November sometime).

Well I have had my say so I shall be off to build my sandcastles in the desert - before coming back to invigilate the Mid semester exams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: