Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is why I am going to emigrate ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steviok85

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: This is why I am going to emigrate ... Reply with quote

FROM JOBCENTRE WEBSITE (CODE AND COMPANY DELETED)

ESOL ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER

Vacancy from

Wage - 6.10 PER HOUR

Hours 20 PER WEEK,

MONDAY -FRIDAY, 10.00 TO 17.00

Minimum qualification to apply this job: - CELTA , DELTA or PTLLS
It should be criminal, and the guy advertising it should be examined.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: This is why I am going to emigrate ... Reply with quote

steviok85 wrote:
Wage - 6.10 PER HOUR.

If you were living in London, what would �6.10 buy? A tv dinner and a can of Coke. Big deal. But what about my rent! And what about topping up my Oyster Card? And what about the weekly shop at Tesco's? And what about that trip to the National Trust gardens to get away from all this bullshit? And what about . . . ???????

Yes, there is only one answer: Board a jet plane and get the hell out before the �6.10 drops to �5.50.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even an IELTS speaking interview fetches around a tenner ... and that's for 15 mins work flat ... no prep .. no nuffink

A writing script ... 6 quid for 5 minutes ..
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They let Psittacoids do IELTS ibn London !

SHEECH !
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Grandad.

How many metres of rain did you have today?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steviok85,

Anybody with qualifications who accepts such a job needs their head examined. As long as people are prepared to accept such work, these employers (usually on Oxford Street) will continue to advertise and recruit.

BOYCOTT them.
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just name and shame this nasty sweat shop that masquerades as a language school?

And on the subject of getting out of the UK and emigrating to sunnier climes: Make sure you DON'T fall in love with a maiden from another country because 'Only the Rich Can Fall in Love in Cameron's Britain'. Here's why:

A speech from David Cameron last month saw him demand information on raising the minimum income level for those sponsoring family members coming to join them in the UK. This applies to residents � people who have come to the UK from another country and earned the right to stay � but it also applies to British citizens, who might meet someone overseas and fall in love with them.
The Migration Advisory Committee did the sums and announced this morning that the salary would need to be somewhere between �18,700 and �25,700. It will almost certainly be accepted and implemented. That means half the working population of Britain are about to lose the right to fall in love with someone overseas and bring them home to live together. Only the rich can fall in love on holiday. Only the rich are allowed to live with the person they love. The poor must be apart, or leave their own country.

Hmmmm . . . a salary of between �18,700 and �25,700. This means that most TEFL teachers working in the UK, if they are lucky enough to have a job, will be unable to bring the girl(or boy) they love back Home and live happily ever after just like the Prince and Princess in those old fairy tales . . .

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/comment/talking-politics/only-rich-fall-love-cameron-britain-115946600.html
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: ha ha Reply with quote

Step in the right direction....unfortuntely it will still mean that lots of people of a certain bearded religion will slip through the net as not many teflers have partners from those countries.

Britain cannot afford immigration at the levels we've had....for our schools and NHS it's simply unsustainable. It's also eroded our culture and democracy.

If they're from the EU great; America, Oz, NZ or RSA cool but please....no more religious nutters and benefits scammers.......and sorry if you can't support your spouse then he/she shouldn't be here.

Last edited by sharter on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
slapntickle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: ha ha Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
.......and sorry if you can't support your spouse then he/she shouldn't be here.

But my point was that if you were earning a decent salary as a tefler, you could fall in love with someone overseas and bring him/her back here. Unfortunately, there are only a few decent jobs paying decent salaries to teflers in the UK, which means that the only viable option is to fall in love abroad where falling in love is possible. I suppose this isn't a bad thing. At least it gives us the impetus to move to more exotic climes, especially at a time when the British economy is fast going down the drain.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: and Reply with quote

I've been in the Middle East for years...it's the only place you can be a tefler and afford child support.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Britain cannot afford immigration at the levels we've had....for our schools and NHS it's simply unsustainable

If it weren't for immigration, we wouldn't have enough doctors, nurses or education staff in some areas of the country; it works both ways Wink
Mikalina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharter

I presume you are using the present perfect to indicate a situation which is continuing and has not finished? Therefore, you are now in the ME?

Are you, therefore, gleaning your information on the situation in Britain from the national newspapers such as The Mail? Or perhaps from your friends who are of the ilk who read this paper?

I have several 'bearded' friends who are extremely intelligent and hardworking and I have been ripped off, as has the system here, by several Australians. I have always presumed their nationality was irrelevant.

You may have been in the ME for too long now and do not realise that your comments are racist.
steviok85

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in danger of turning into something like the letters page in my local paper.

It is clear that immigration in the UK is out of control and irreparable.

Back to the subject at hand, these �6.10 jobs are almost always advertised by people from a continent to the east of Russia. These colleges of 'Further Education' are essentially old decrepit shacks and should be closed down or destroyed immediately. I did a couple of lessons for one guy in Nottingham because I wanted to 'test the water'. An absolute scammer and compulsive little liar. Asked the students in front of my face what they thought of me. What kind of manager does that?
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm really offended; you accused me of being a Daily Mail reader.

And, I don't know of any Australian religious nutters.

Voice an opinion in a democracy and you're suddenly called a racist......I'd throw the pc lot out and all. I signed the online petition yesterday btw.

Re the low wages.........well, it's TEFL UK.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People without experience are often naive. Sharter has more than 10 years experience.

How much experience of living in the Middle East do you have, Mikalina?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: