Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta locations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremycraig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Celta locations Reply with quote

Are there locations that have, for what ever reason, a higher pass rate? Whether it be that the facilities are more accommodating, instructors are more patient, or even that the location attracts a better student, I would think that some locations might be "stand out".

Also, I have considered doing the Celta at a less expensive location. Thailand, Ecuador, and Vietnam each have places to do one on the cheaper end. In relation to that, I am wondering if this is a 'get what you pay for' type of issue, and specifically if the surrounding accommodations are relatively safe.

Thoughts would be appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA is CELTA is CELTA.

Since no-one takes it more than once, it's unlikely that anyone here can say 'this one was better than that one.'

Also, trainers aren't chained to a location, so even if you hear that 'this CELTA provider last year had great trainers,' one or more of those trainers may have moved on before you get there.

The reason the course is cheaper in the countries you name is because housing is relatively cheaper so the package costs less.

Basically, it's a standard course and there really isn't going to be an 'easy' version.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Spiral said.
White ice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it not important where I undertake my Celta course? Is it not better to do it with a big name like the British Council or a reputable University so that you have the brand on your CV?

I'm probably going to do mine in the UK somewhere.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA is a brand name. The location has nothing to do with it.

Some other TEFL/TESL courses rent rooms at universities; this obviously does not make them reputable as the uni has no connection whatsoever with the course.

If you go for an actual CELTA it seriously does not matter where you take it.
If you take a different course, make sure it's at least 120 hours on-site and includes supervised teaching practice with real students.
White ice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I possibly want to work for a bug firm eg// the British Council in the future is it preferable to do the Celta with them? Or is it more important to do it in a country I want to work?

Just making sure I don't make a mistake doing my Celta in the wrong place.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White ice wrote:
If I possibly want to work for a bug firm eg// the British Council in the future is it preferable to do the Celta with them? Or is it more important to do it in a country I want to work? Just making sure I don't make a mistake doing my Celta in the wrong place.

There's no such thing as the "wrong place" in terms of the quality and content of the CELTA course. As Spiral said, CELTA is a brand name. Location has nothing to do with it; it's the same course content wherever you take it.

In answer to your other question, doing the CELTA in the country you want to teach in has its advantages. So, if taking the course in your target country fits your budget, time frames, and teaching goals, then go for it. Just make sure you also meet the country's work visa requirements before heading abroad so that you don't encounter any surprises or disappointment.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think course content is the same no matter where you take it? Similar is more like it. I can only comment on my course experience, which was actually a Trinity Cert TESOL. I completed mine over 4 weeks in my hometown, and a friend of mine did hers over 5 weeks in Jersey. Whilst the core content was the same, there were also marked differences in the course as well as the length of study. I had to write a paper about my experience in 4 lessons learning an unknown language. She only had one lesson in the unknown language, no paper, and instead had to write a course book evaluation.

Training centres do have some freedom in how they structure their courses, and of course, trainers themselves will have different approaches. I believe there is some value in finding out more about the training provider and the course tutors. Speaking to ex-trainees would be great too. Some course providers may have restricted access to printers and copiers etc and that can impact course experience IMO.

When you have completed the qualification, a CELTA is a CELTA. But I think the learning experience can probably vary widely.

How practical it is to find out and investigate all the different course providers is another matter. Courses run at set dates in a variety of locations, sometimes you have to take what is convenient I guess.
White ice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I think I will do my Celta in my local area and head abroad after I have completed it.

My next query is how beneficial it is to get the top grade of Celta rather than the most basic pass grade? Do employers ever specify what grade of celta they want?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: