Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Noura University (PNU)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentgirl88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Princess Noura University (PNU) Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm new to this website. I've been applying for several jobs in the middle east because I have an interest in the region.
I've been shortlisted for an interview for PNU and was wondering if anyone on this site has had any experience with them. I know they are a new university, but nonetheless I thought I'd try.
Would also be great to hear from anybody who has gone through the interview process and has a got a job there/ or is planning to go there this year.
Thanks in advance,
Any advice is appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, they don't hire directly, which means your interview is with either a recruiter or the Saudi British Centre. Since you're new to this forum, you'll definitely want to do searches on PNU, SBC, and the recruiter (if applicable) you're interviewing with. But let's just say the reviews aren't pretty.

What are your qualifications (i.e., degree, years of TEFL experience, TEFL certificate)?
silentgirl88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I did a search for PNU and found a mix of responses, as I'd expected.
My first interview/informal chat was with someone at International Education Group (IEG), and my second one next week is with a couple of people at the University of Auckland, who seem to be in charge of the recruiting for PNU this year.

I have 2years TEFL experience, 1 of which was in Morocco, a Trinity Cert TESOL, an undergrad degree in Arabic and English Literature and am finishing up my MA in Literary Translation at the moment. (And I'm a single, non-white, non-Muslim female)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentgirl88 wrote:
Thanks for that. I did a search for PNU and found a mix of responses, as I'd expected.

Really? You found someone who said anything positive? I must have missed that post. Laughing Keep reading so that you know all the good, bad, and ugly. If you decide to go, it is best to know ahead what can go wrong. Successful completion of a contract often requires nothing so much as realistic expectations... of your employer and yourself.

VS
colly64

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Auckland is indeed actively looking for teachers & ultimately is who the contract is with. The screening is being done by other recruiters as well - TeachAway, Global Links & probably others.

http://careers.uniservices.co.nz/advancedSearch.aspx?widgetSearch=True&companyID=514

www.teachinsaudiarabia.com

Apparently a contract or MOU was signed in Sept 2011 between University of Auckland & PNU.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is the case, then an important question to ask during the interview is "Who will be my employer?" because this info isn't indicated in the job ads for PYP teachers. Yet, the postings for academic director and program leader specifically state that UniServices is the employer.
silentgirl88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that nomad soul. I will make sure to ask them that question when I have my interview next week.
teechagimme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNU has problems no matter who you actually work for and they seem to deal with most of these problems by playing blame games and trying to clean house every so often. Actually laying out their expectations from the start of their working relationships and keeping communications going would be too much trouble.
teechagimme

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this and I think that it supports what I said earlier today.

Hello, If you have received this email, you are on the list of individuals whom Princess Noura University, after their own performance review, wishes to be assigned elsewhere for teaching next year. Therefore we will have to reassign you in September 2012. Please do not worry. All will be OK. Our successful work this spring and summer on securing new contracts means that we have a number of new sites for placement in the coming year. You will hear about your reassignment as the summer unfolds, but I wanted to alert you to this eventuality with PNU right now so that you are aware. I hope you are having a good summer. Dr Bill
fledex

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teechagimme wrote:
I just got this and I think that it supports what I said earlier today.

Hello, If you have received this email, you are on the list of individuals whom Princess Noura University, after their own performance review, wishes to be assigned elsewhere for teaching next year. Therefore we will have to reassign you in September 2012. Please do not worry. All will be OK. Our successful work this spring and summer on securing new contracts means that we have a number of new sites for placement in the coming year. You will hear about your reassignment as the summer unfolds, but I wanted to alert you to this eventuality with PNU right now so that you are aware. I hope you are having a good summer. Dr Bill

In other words, Edex wants to keep your resume and credentials on file through the summer to help themselves land new contracts. There are no guarantees. Don't expect anything. It's the norm in Saudi and with Edex to keep each other hanging, be sure to search for other options. They will also be looking for other options than you.
colly64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the lastest job offers are all direct hire with PNU
katienz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: working at pnu? Reply with quote

If anyone is working there now, can you pm me. Thanks
silentgirl88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I had my interview today with a woman from Uniservices in Auckland. I made sure to ask her who my contract would be with... First she said Uniservices, and then after that she backtracked and said she wasn't sure. Then she said that the dean at PNU signs off on all contracts so would imply that the contracts are with PNU, and Uniservices only assists them with it.
Her answer didn't really inspire much confidence.... That and the fact that both the people I've had interviews with have said that they haven't visited the uni and only others in the 'team' have... which makes me wonder... Rolling Eyes
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentgirl88 wrote:
So... I had my interview today with a woman from Uniservices in Auckland. I made sure to ask her who my contract would be with... First she said Uniservices, and then after that she backtracked and said she wasn't sure. Then she said that the dean at PNU signs off on all contracts so would imply that the contracts are with PNU, and Uniservices only assists them with it.
Her answer didn't really inspire much confidence.... That and the fact that both the people I've had interviews with have said that they haven't visited the uni and only others in the 'team' have... which makes me wonder... Rolling Eyes

For clarification, signing off on an employment contract means the person has approved both the hiring of the employee as well as the specific rights, duties, terms, and conditions outlined in the agreement; whereas, signing an employment contract means the person's original signature is indicated on the agreement as a representative of the employer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: working at pnu? Reply with quote

katienz wrote:
If anyone is working there now, can you pm me. Thanks

You need 5 posts to do PMs.

Quote:
Her answer didn't really inspire much confidence....

I would say no confidence at all. This gang doesn't have a clue what they are doing... or what they are getting you into... and thus, neither do you.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: