Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Princess Noura University (PNU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in the Gulf for over 15 years... have read hundreds (thousands?) of job ads... worked for places that were British run (even liked and respected many of them), but never once saw this term used... even by your fellow countrymen.

So... perhaps it is archaic and has been since before I arrived in the Gulf in the 80s? Perhaps it is one of those terms that has survived in the sub-continent. They have preserved many of them...

VS
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty common in the UK to talk about salary and other factors such as rental agreements/ contracts etc. using PCM per calendar month.

Bizarre as that may seem to some. Not being rude, just saying Smile

I instantly know the meaning when I see it, as I imagine do most Brits.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never encountered it before, either. However "A commonly encountered phrase while renting an apartment or room abroad is "PCM," as in "600 euros PCM." In the United States, PCM (per calendar month) is standard practice, so few Americans are familiar with the term. It is usually assumed that rent is PCM. Understanding the difference between PCM rent and weekly rent is important to make informed rental decisions abroad."

Read more: What Is PCM Rent? | eHow http://www.ehow.com/about_4731021_pcm-rent_.html#ixzz2Tb9934Rt

So, I guess there may be a few other things in the world that I've never encountered yet Very Happy

Well, that's good - it'll help keep becoming jaded at bay.

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall being surprised when I encountered somewhere (a book? magazine? tv show?) a mention of "weekly rent." I don't believe that we have had weekly rent options in the US (other than hotels) since perhaps the Depression era?

Rather similar to getting used to the fact that in the Gulf, salaries are always quoted in monthly terms, whereas in the US, they are always given as an annual amount. (then you may be paid, weekly, monthly, semi-monthly, or bi-weekly)

But... again we digress... Laughing

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who is doing the hiring for PNU at the moment ?
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some companies in the UK pay their employees every four weeks, effectively paying 13 months or 13 times per annum. If memory serves correctly, BAe is / was one of these. PCM is therefore used to differentiate between the four-week payroll system. As a previous poster said, the term is also often used in contracts and other legal documents.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pw, pcm and pa are botrh common abbreviations in the Old Empire. Veiled Sentiments, of course adheres to the renegades who broke away in the 18th century. They will learn !

(Please activate irony alert system here !)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With "old" being the operative word? Laughing

VS
TeacherNan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent my resume and other info. to a company called Inadvance.uk. Now, I've received a response from Quality Education Holding Company. Does anyone know anything about either of these companies? Has anyone been interviewed by them? What can I expect?
lisaktate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Quality Education Holding Company Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just wanted to post and check if any of you know anything about Quality Education Holding Company? I got an email from them yesterday inviting me for a Skype interview for PNU. I've heard that working and living conditions can vary depending on the recruiter so just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them?

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Education Holding Company Reply with quote

lisaktate wrote:
I've heard that working and living conditions can vary depending on the recruiter so just wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them?

I've never heard of this contracting company, but apparently, English isn't their strong suit:
    Quality Education Holding Company was established in 2009, 1430(H) to support the educational process in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia based on the long experiences of its members and its employees in the field of education, training and administration at all levels, and many private schools and international institutes and academies of science were established all over the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The Company aims to advanced the educational process and provide the best services in this area, and it also has the quality education depending on modern technology and advanced techniques in the areas of education and training.
The rest of their company profile is just as poorly written and hints at reliance on Google translate. By the way, they don't have a dedicated website---just a FB presence.

Take time to look through this forum and others specific to PNU to get a sense of which contracting companies have the most satisfied teachers and for info about working there.
Linguist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quality Education Holding Company was established in 2009, 1430(H) to support the educational process in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia based on the long experiences of its members and its employees in the field of education, training and administration at all levels, and many private schools and international institutes and academies of science were established all over the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The Company aims to advanced the educational process and provide the best services in this area, and it also has the quality education depending on modern technology and advanced techniques in the areas of education and training.

I would say run away from them for two reasons:
1- they are new to the recruiting game and will make several fatal mistakes
2- ask if you can contact other teachers they have recruited before. If they refuse, run baby run...
3rdgate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello silentgir88

I've been reading the nonsense in this post and thought I would step in to offer some clarification...

I've just completed an academic year at PNU and would like to let you know that veiledsentiments and nomad soul have given you totally false information about PNU...why? because they clearly have not and do not work for PNU.

1. Auckland/Uniservices means you ARE a direct hire. So does Global Links and Teachaway. Yes, SBC still supplies teachers to PNU as well as EdEx. I WOULD steer clear from those two companies.
2. You are paid directly by the government and are paid on the Hijri calendar NOT the Gregorian calendar (good Hijri calendar and note that you'll be paid on the 24/25 day each Hijri month directly into a Riyad Bank account.
3. Be careful because you'll only be paid for the academic year not the calendar year (so you won't actually earn the salary on the offer letter...maybe about $3,000 USD less)
4. You'll live and work on the PNU campus. Unfortunately, it's not fully functioning. The grocery store is not yet open, but there is a daily bus at 5:45 to Tamimi market where you can get local and international groceries. The women's gym finally opened in the last 2 months we were there, but the pool isn't open Sad
5. True things are quite unorganized as the HR staff is new and they are learning as they go. Very frustrating at times, but be diligent and you'll get questions answered.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you might have.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rdgate wrote:
Hello silentgir88

I've been reading the nonsense in this post and thought I would step in to offer some clarification...

I've just completed an academic year at PNU and would like to let you know that veiledsentiments and nomad soul have given you totally false information about PNU...why? because they clearly have not and do not work for PNU.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you might have.

I have a question: What specific info have I provided that's "totally false?" Most of what you've posted is the case for Saudi government. universities. Nothing new there, but it's helpful to others nonetheless. Moreover, this thread is a year old. (Silentgirl88 hasn't posted in nearly a year; she's been, well... silent.) Contracting companies and recruiting and hiring strategies as well as the living conditions have certainly changed over the past 12 months, especially as PNU gains its footing. Obviously, recruiting and hiring continue to be a huge endeavor and challenge; it's been a work in progress. Fortunately, the practice of bringing teachers over on business visit visas is no longer the standard for those companies contracted with PNU. That was a major issue, but it seems the concept of employee satisfaction toward retention is starting to sink in. Add to that, the jawazat's strong presence this year.

By the way, my information comes from the perspectives and experiences of several, very reliable confidential informants---seasoned teaching professionals, who presently teach for PNU. One friend has just finished her second year there (after a rather unpleasant first year when SBC was running the program)---the others, one full academic year. So far, all three have renewed their contracts for 2013-2014. It sounds like you'll continue there as well.

Anyway... For those of you who find the Islamic dates confusing, I suggest using a Hijri-Gregorian calendar converter (like http://www.islamicfinder.org/Hcal/index.php ) to determine pay dates and other important calendared events and deadlines. One very critical date to convert is your iqama expiration date; you'll want to indicate a renewal date of at least a month in advance on your calendar.
PittGirl07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rdgate wrote:
Hello silentgir88

2. You are paid directly by the government and are paid on the Hijri calendar NOT the Gregorian calendar (good Hijri calendar and note that you'll be paid on the 24/25 day each Hijri month directly into a Riyad Bank account.
3. Be careful because you'll only be paid for the academic year not the calendar year (so you won't actually earn the salary on the offer letter...maybe about $3,000 USD less)
4. You'll live and work on the PNU campus. Unfortunately, it's not fully functioning. The grocery store is not yet open, but there is a daily bus at 5:45 to Tamimi market where you can get local and international groceries. The women's gym finally opened in the last 2 months we were there, but the pool isn't open Sad

Hello! I interviewed with PNU a while back and was recently offered a position. Could you please elaborate on #3? How is it that your salary would be about $3k less than what is stated in the letter? Also, when you say that you are only paid for the academic year, does that mean during summer break there is nothing coming into your account at all for that time?

For #4, is the monorail functioning now? If not, when is it expected to be operational? Is the campus walkable? What did you think of the women's gym with the exception of the pool being closed?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: